Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOM]mono-grey midrange

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: [SOM]mono-grey midrange Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [WWK] Quicksand
4 [WWK] Dread Statuary
4 [M11] Mystifying Maze
4 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge

// Creatures
4 [SOM] Palladium Myr
4 [SOM] Precursor Golem
4 [WWK] Lodestone Golem
3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
3 [M11] Brittle Effigy
4 [SOM] Chimeric Mass
4 [ROE] All Is Dust
3 [ROE] Dreamstone Hedron
3 [SOM] Prototype Portal

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOM] Mindslaver
SB: 4 [ROE] Reinforced Bulwark
SB: 2 [SOM] Venser's Journal
SB: 4 [SOM] Rust Tick
SB: 2 [SOM] Steel Hellkite

basically, this deck is ramping into threats that can be hard to deal with, MUST be dealt with, or both. at the same time, it's casting All is Dust with total impunity, taking out their backfield in a devasting move that can never threaten your own field. in testing, the only things this deck has real trouble dealing with is lots of artifact creatures, or a non-creature artifact, which is where some of the sideboard comes in (mindslaver, doubling against control, and also if a slaverlock combo ever becomes able in the matchup, rust tick to essentially o-ring a tapping artifact, and steel hellkite can also get rid of pesky noncreature artifacts). reinforced bulwark and venser's journal are in there for the aggro matchup, where sometimes the race can outdo the ramp.

in testing, the deck has performed quite well, always keeping board prescence or preventing theirs to overrun. a major strength is the toolbox of functional lands, which all work to preserve you in some way.

does anyone have comments or ideas? i'd like to make this the best deck I can before I put it to paper.
Ossy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on the way there, I think, but I really dislike precursor golem, and I am going to suggest some other cards that are worth considering.
I even have my doubts about Palladium Myr, ableit it being one of the only 3 drops you have.

Cards I would think of considering are:

Etched Champion
Golem Foundry; instead of Precursor Golem
Mimic Vat, for sheer tricks.
Nim Deathmantle; though, you are low on creatures, so maybe not this one.
Ratchet Bomb
Semblance Anvil; Although maybe not, as it can produce major card-disadvantage at times.
Gargoyle Senteniel; Sheerly because your flying defense is well... All is Dust and Effigy?
Steel Overseer; I guess it depends on the build?
Voltaic Key; See next
Lux Cannon; See the two above. These are just cute, probably not worth it without proliferate.
Triskelion; If playing Steel Overseer

I'm not 100% sure about any of these though, I'm not the one that's done any testing.
I'll leave that part up to you, or I could help play test or something.
=]
P.S. If this kind of deck does become meta-like, you need to find ways to get answers to artifacts, since AiDs won't cover it no more.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I even have my doubts about Palladium Myr, ableit it being one of the only 3 drops you have.

think of it as a bit of a mana dork, but more suited to the kind of mana-hungry deck i run, and a better option than the 1/1 manamyr, because it can beat for 2 and it accelerates faster. the fact that I have no turn 3 drop makes it easier and less awkard to manage it, and this plus the 4 chalices means that i'm going to be making a strong play at least 1 turn early.

Quote:
Semblance Anvil; Although maybe not, as it can produce major card-disadvantage at times.

this. I have lost due to dead cards far more than i've won for increased tempo with this card... it's either not good, or not good in my deck.

Quote:
Golem Foundry; instead of Precursor Golem

i'm not exactly casting too many artifacts... and oftentimes by the time this card makes one golem token, they'll be able to remove it and i'll be in the same situation. only in cases where it becomes a much longer attrition war would this be of more value than precursor golem, and even then a 3/3 won't do to much in that much of the late game. precursor golem, however, is 9 power for the low price of 5 mana, almost always attainable by turn 4. if they can answer it (as in they're red or black) it's a 1 for 1 card basis, and if they're white, they either gave you 9 life to get rid of it (oust) used up a DoJ on a single card, or you got two free golems and 3 life out of the deal by playing around condem. if they're not spotting removal, or if their removal is in the form of permanant based removal, than they're losing a lot of card value.

Quote:
Mimic Vat, for sheer tricks.
I actually ran mimic vat first, and found that i'm much happier with its replacement: prototype portal. the only thing mimic vat combos very effectively with is precursor golem, while prototype portal combos with almost all the artifacts in my deck.

Quote:
Nim Deathmantle; though, you are low on creatures, so maybe not this one.
Ratchet Bomb
Gargoyle Senteniel; Sheerly because your flying defense is well... All is Dust and Effigy?

all of these are too slow. my deck wants to be smashing face. my big creatures are enough to clutter up the ground, so if I know they sport some sort of baneslayer shenanigans, then I can save my brittle effigys for later. i'm also never afraid to All is Dust, because I never lose permanents from it. but it's not uncommon for me to be swinging in for 17 by turn 5 or 6, with a lot of sustainable fuel going on.

Quote:
Voltaic Key; See next
Lux Cannon; See the two above. These are just cute, probably not worth it without proliferate.

and really, they're hardly worth it even with proliferate. if you're taking up the time to charge up the cannon, you're probably going to die... i'd know. i've tried the deck.

Quote:
Triskelion; If playing Steel Overseer
Etched Champion
Steel Overseer; I guess it depends on the build?

these all fit into the same category: good with steel overseer. overseer was actually one of the hardest cuts I had made in the deck, but more and more I had found that he just isn't doing much for me that made him seem worth playing to me. i'm always happier laying down a chalice turn 2 and a lodestone the next, or ramping up to an all is dust turn 4. etched champion is cute, but that's all it really is. a 3 mana 2/2 unblockable is never much of a threat, and a 3 mana infinite chump blocker isn't that good either. (see darksteel myr, or even better: wall of denial). the only time etched champion has been good for me is when I also have steel overseer, to turn it into a more potent threat.

anyway... I will try out the gargoyle sentinel. it might be valuable against multiple flying threats, but the necessity seems to be a bit... low.

do you think it's worth 4 slots in the sideboard to make 4x prophetic prism, so that my conditional answers are much more varied?

Quote:
P.S. If this kind of deck does become meta-like, you need to find ways to get answers to artifacts, since AiDs won't cover it no more.

if it becomes meta-like, that means I will have done my job and I know more about deckbuilding than I previously had. it also means I can run this deck and still honestly say i've never net-decked. Razz

but yes, the sideboard does account for most of the artifacts that I found to be a threat. mindslaver even helps in the mirror, because you can make me tec edge my own lands, effigy my own creatures, and attack into wurmcoil engines and such. maybe even play a prototype portal and imprint nothing.
Ossy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I forgot to mention: Lodestone Golem is a Golem, so precursor golem could end up having him killed as well.

But I'm not the one who's done the testing, so c:
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see you just putting in grand architect. You can run a ton of blue mana for little to no loss of value, and his upside is absolutely insane.

brittle effigy seems less good than contageon artifacts.

Oh yeah, Trinket Mage is blue as well.

Also I don't see why you shouldn't run Mox Opal instead of a land or two.

I'd maindeck Mindslaver if you do end up adding the architect. The thought of that guy being played AND sacced on turn 4 or 5 is scary, ESPECIALLY against all the ramp decks (auto scoop).

Love dreamstone hedron. Might actually take these artifact decks over the top. Most people never consider it but I think it's strong.

As your deck sits now, why not add in 1 kozilek or something? You have temples, hedron,chalice, portal (if on creature), and paladium myr. You could probably get that thing out on turn 7 every time.

The SB needs tons of work i think. Rust tick seems like way too much mana. Lux Cannon + Voltaic Key might be a good add too, come to think of it.

Love the deck.
Ossy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qty Name
4 Tectonic Edge
4 Dread Statuary
4 Mystifying Maze
4 Quicksand
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Glimmerpost
//\\
// Creatures
4 Palladium Myr
4 Lodestone Golem
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
3 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
//\\
// Spells
4 Chimeric Mass
2 Contagion Engine
4 All Is Dust
2 Prototype Portal
3 Dreamstone Hedron
4 Everflowing Chalice
4 Contagion Clasp
//\\
// Sideboard
2 Prototype Portal
3 Mindslaver
2 Venser's Journal
2 Steel Hellkite
3 Mimic Vat
3 Brittle Effigy

This is what I'm currently testing c:
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what else do the contaigion artifacts do to help with, besides killing 1/1's faster than brittle effigy can, and killing 3/3's a lot slower?
Ossy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a game against an elf deck, I had two everflowing chalice's with 10 counters on them. They also help with chimeric mass.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1