Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White Stax help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cut Elspeth in any moatless build as it's really difficult to protect her (Prison doesn't work etc.)
Steveman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cut a Smokestack and the 2 Elspeth for the O-Ring 3-4 and Magus #4.

Sideboard wise, I'd throw in more Humility to combat Survival since it's the big thing right now. Defense Grid is useless, throw something in that actually helps your bad matchups.
Tritemio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some italian builder instead of angel use Knight of the Reliquary, using green by mox , Horizon Canopy, and 1 Savannah.

Why Knight? is a bigga Fatty, can search for utility land as The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

and give u some fine side card like Choke or City of Solitude
ykpon
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played stax for quite a long time and almost never really wanted to add any wincons besides Factories and Magi. Often you don't need even them as your opponent just concedes :>
If your meta is aggressive enough, add a couple of angels, so you get not just a faster clock but also an additional lock piece. Aven Mindcensor, Windborn Muse, Guardian of the Guildpact and a new 4/4 angel are what you can think about if you are looking for something funny. I don't advise running more than 3 creatures besides a set of Magi though.
sniperfreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, i played W Staxx for 2 Years and other tomb deck, i disagree with the idea of put into more win conditions, as Baneslayer and elspeth.
The card that i tested and works grate to increase your good drawing is Crystall Ball, you should test it.
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal Ball is a horrible idea: it's not a mana source, lock piece, or kill condition. If you want to have some late game draw, throw in a couple of Horizon Canopies
yokai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_mauer wrote:
Bottled Cloister is a good card draw card for Stax.

Bottled Cloister + bridge
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commador01 wrote:
I would like to stay with mono white. I shall raise the Orings up, but without elsepth, there wouldn't be enough win conditions. She seems to be working well enough when there are no lands in play, also trinisphere only shuts most decks out. Any ideas for win con. If she goes out?

I completely disagree that you need more win conditions: just cuz a card doesn't attack, doesn't mean it's not a win condition. In my years of playing Stax, my primary win condition is usually my opponent scooping to me. Also, in my current Stax build, I only run 3 Elspeth as my win conditions and get by just fine.

Also, if you're staying Mono White, it still wouldn't hurt much to throw in a Horizon Canopy, they're your best friends late game along with a Crucible.
Spyx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_mauer wrote:
Bottled Cloister is a good card draw card for Stax.

Yeah making your opponents krosan grip a mind twist seems pretty good.
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is more of a dutch build. Haven't played in a while so I'd probably have to tweak the board to combat against all the Survival decks running around.

26 LAND
10 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
3 Flagstones of Trokair
3 City of Traitors
3 Wasteland
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Karakas

3 WIN CONDITIONS
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

31 SPELLS
4 Crucible of Worlds
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Moat
4 Mox Diamond
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Humility
3 Trinisphere
3 Smokestack
2 Armageddon
1 Ravages of War

15 SIDEBOARD
3 Swords to Plowshares
3 Engineered Explosives
3 Karakas
2 Wrath of God
2 Day of Judgement
1 Armageddon
1 Ravages of War
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on having Elspeth as your primary kill condition, then you'd definitely want Moat / Humility over Ghostly Prison. However, if you're playing with Magus, Ghostly Prison is better.
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Bottled Cloister isn't the worst idea I've heard in Stax, I have three fundamental issues with it.

1.) It's not a lock piece / mana source / win condition / removal
- My philosophy on (Legacy) Stax is each card should be one of these things and anything that isn't does not belong in the deck.

2.) There's no room for it in the deck because whatever you replace is probably better than Bottled Cloister.

3.) Artifact hate exists.
Steveman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legacy Stax concept is that Stax is always a metagame deck that has positive matchups against the top performing decks. Stax preyed upon Goblins / Threshold during their prime. However, right now I think Stax in general is a poor metagame choice since Merfolk and Vengevine Survival are the two current top decks. Both decks pack plenty of cheap / free disruption and can get us down to zero before we stabilize and control the board.

Also, I'll have to test out Replenish, I've never thought of that before, haha.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2