Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scars.....did R&D even go to work during this set?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
usmc2871

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Scars.....did R&D even go to work during this set? Reply with quote

I don't think i have ever seen a set (and I remember getting my first pack back in 1994) that has had such a blatant display of insanity as they have with the new set. Yes, I know most sets run SOME type of "broken" combo or over powered card, but it's always when used in conjunction with another set or even a whole other block. The infinite mana combo alone displays to me that WOTC has shifted away from the intelligence factor of playing this game, and gone back to the days of "who can play this card first" (not to mention I just noticed Semblance Anvil so thats gonna be over played with Myr). T2 and block is gonna be a flood of wannabe affinity decks and infinite mana combos. all based of a single card set. And with no "split second" mechanic in T2, I am afraid of whats going to come in the next few weeks when Oct 1st hits. I can see it now. A flood of blue/artifact decks. running control till the infinite combo goes off and then drop Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, take your free turn and swing for the win. I pray I am wrong. Cause if this is how it will probably go, then were going to see a huge drop in players. I spoke with a friend who has been running one of the most successful shops in NYC for over 10 years and I was discussing with him this very thought. And he actually has expressed a serious concern that his T2 players are going to grow bored and he has already seen a huge drop in 1.x and 1.5 players in the past 3 years. What are your views in this? Should WOTC print something to counter this upcoming assault of poor decks or do you think there is a reason behind the madness?
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think there's a reason behind the madness. Your madness that is.
usmc2871

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TugaChampion wrote:
No, I don't think there's a reason behind the madness. Your madness that is.

I respect that. But back it up, explain your reasoning
ikazuchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everytime new set comes out we get tons topics like "OMG this is end Magic" "FUUUUUUUUUUU WotC I'm quiting!!!" etc. Rolling Eyes
dwarfas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the days of who plays this card first was back in revised or black summer.

The card: Balance was nuts. I mean sure time spiral, tolarian academy was bad, but who says you can't counter? or run your red sb card maindeck? or duress the guy? or turn 2 hatred and kick his ass for 20?

As far as pebbles and aluren goes... those were legit decks.
~

So that's where I can see your concern. But combo decks should be a part of the environment.

I used to play pebbles and aluren. doing infinity is fun sometimes. or stroke of genious someone for over 9000 with high tide palenchron. Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

There is some stuff man.

Making the format based on who plays bigger creatures and attacks is stupid.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, basically without the help of tutoring, your odds of getting the infinite combo out is 1/30 (in 30 cards, statistically you should find 2 of the untap myr dudes and 2 random other myr mana guys, or even just one of the myr that taps for 2). Getting them out on the board and protecting them when EVERY color has a way of dealing with them is very slim, so no, the infinite mana combo is not really feasible at all and you will not being seeing very much of it at your local PT or GP. Maybe, perhaps, maybe you could get it off game 1, but once memoricide comes in game 2, it's gg for you as your win condition disappears.

With that being said, I don't even play constructed anymore because quite honestly, it really freaking blows. I'm not paying these stupid prices for pieces of cardboard. Limited, on the other hand, looks pretty interesting for this set.
roronoa_zoro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HATCHED BOMB.... COMBO? BOOOOMMM!!!
Rikets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except with the new anvil and riddlesmyth so i can draw my whole deck and pla every myr in 1-2 turns...
Jag4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With that being said, I don't even play constructed anymore because quite honestly, it really freaking blows. I'm not paying these stupid prices for pieces of cardboard. Limited, on the other hand, looks pretty interesting for this set.

Agree. I never minded paying $80 for a set of t2 playable cards, but I ain't playing $120 plus for one Jace!
ikazuchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikets wrote:
except with the new anvil and riddlesmyth so i can draw my whole deck and pla every myr in 1-2 turns...

read the Riddlesmith again Wink
zebo_88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehehe jag4 i'm paying the first 25 in three years for magic this weekend.. Smile
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

I still fail to see why this set is so "broken"... Confused
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like a 5 card combo, and all the cards are pretty bad on their own and u just play a lightning bolt or any removal and the combo is broken up
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bribery > Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

5th turn thx for your 15/15, GG sir.
dwarfas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved bribery. It was such a tech sideboard card back in the day. Sooo you are playing some kind of reanimator deck hugh?? I got something for you Smile.

Gilded drake was pretty awesome too.

FUCK WHY CAN'T I HAS ME A GILDED DRAKE INSTEAD O JACE.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2