Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scars of Mirrodin Pre-Release Discussion

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Scars of Mirrodin Pre-Release Discussion Reply with quote

Just about a quarter of the new set has been spoiled so far and I suppose it's time to start gearing up for the pre-release tournies and show those MODO chumps that M-L players have always and will always be ahead of the mana curve (hehe).

So first off, looking at what I've seen of the set, I can already tell you I don't like it. It looks like the strongest control in this set is gonna be with the Phyrexian mechanic of Infect. I think it's neat, with cards like Contagion Engine and the like, but the creatures with Infect only being able to deal damage in poison counters is kinda weak (and scary at the same time, it's like playing a game with half your starting life), My point about infect is that if you're gonna opt for it, you're gonna lose synergy with non-infecting creatures.

Blue has an interesting card with Dissipation Field, but once again, that card is gonna be useless against straight Infect, so it may be dead at certain times.

So far, I see one limited archetype being poison, and that's probably gonna be one of the better ones unless they release some major removal soon. I don't see Sword of Mind and Body being that great in Sealed or Booster, but still a playable card. I am glad to see the Mana Myrs return, and that's gonna mean a lot of ramping into those big bombs.

And Planeswalkers! Koth looks neat, but not really uber limited material. Elspeth and Venser look like neat bombs though. It's gonna be an interesting Pre-Release, but a very hard one judging by the card selection.

I hope to see any M-Lers in the Charlotte, NC area at Play It in Harrisburg on the 25th!!!!!
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll just say one thing...

All the myrs are either uncommon or common. And one of them is a myr general.

I see that being the core of a pretty powerful deck. Take every myr that comes to you, play bombs in whatever color you want, and have the ability to pump out anything really early. If you get the myr general, you could easily get yourself up to like 8 mana on turn 5.

The best base colors for this kinda thing will be blue or white.
Magx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scars of Mirrodin Pre-Release Discussion Reply with quote

ZeMuppet wrote:
Just about a quarter of the new set has been spoiled so far and I suppose it's time to start gearing up for the pre-release tournies and show those MODO chumps that M-L players have always and will always be ahead of the mana curve (hehe).

So first off, looking at what I've seen of the set, I can already tell you I don't like it. It looks like the strongest control in this set is gonna be with the Phyrexian mechanic of Infect. I think it's neat, with cards like Contagion Engine and the like, but the creatures with Infect only being able to deal damage in poison counters is kinda weak (and scary at the same time, it's like playing a game with half your starting life), My point about infect is that if you're gonna opt for it, you're gonna lose synergy with non-infecting creatures.

Blue has an interesting card with Dissipation Field, but once again, that card is gonna be useless against straight Infect, so it may be dead at certain times.

So far, I see one limited archetype being poison, and that's probably gonna be one of the better ones unless they release some major removal soon. I don't see Sword of Mind and Body being that great in Sealed or Booster, but still a playable card. I am glad to see the Mana Myrs return, and that's gonna mean a lot of ramping into those big bombs.

And Planeswalkers! Koth looks neat, but not really uber limited material. Elspeth and Venser look like neat bombs though. It's gonna be an interesting Pre-Release, but a very hard one judging by the card selection.

I hope to see any M-Lers in the Charlotte, NC area at Play It in Harrisburg on the 25th!!!!!

if you don't like it already, why would you go to the pre-release ?

for my part, I really like it. I foresee all kind of decks, different ideas, etc. You could have green/artefact wich could be really powerful, poison decks, proliferate decks, etc.

Like you said the Planeswalkers are really interesting (especially the new red one, for me).

I"m torn between doing the pre-release and the Hordes/Warmachine tournament... *sigh*
JA0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk i kinda like the infect thing, but i agree with the lose of tempo if you get stuck with creatures without infect, but i guess u could still use them as blockers and hopefully let your infect guys do there job...

but you got proliferate to try to finish the job if you do lose tempo.

i could see black and blue being strong in sealed or draft..

anyways your in charlotte NC?

i live off lake norman but ill be playing at the prerelease in huntersville, good luck in harrisburg...
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja0: Thanks, you should come down some time and smoke some weed with us. And good luck on yours too! I'm guessing Underground Games must have closed down or something cuz I didn't see them anywhere on the gathering website.

MagX: It's a DCI tournament, and those are fun no matter what. I hear good things about WarMachine, but I keep myself limited to Magic and the occasional 40k game (with a lot of proxies) GOOOOO ORKS!!!! WAAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! (plays GWAR)

P_P4E: Hell yeah! Especially if you can lucksack out a Venser, the Sojourner (insert Sojourner of Truth joke here that no one would get anyway).

This is gonna be a fun set, but I just think the cards in it are sucky. I hope this isn't gonna be followed by another Kami block....but hey, if it is, I wouldn't mind revisiting Ravnica!!!!!
JA0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeMuppet wrote:
Ja0: Thanks, you should come down some time and smoke some weed with us. And good luck on yours too! I'm guessing Underground Games must have closed down or something cuz I didn't see them anywhere on the gathering website.

MagX: It's a DCI tournament, and those are fun no matter what. I hear good things about WarMachine, but I keep myself limited to Magic and the occasional 40k game (with a lot of proxies) GOOOOO ORKS!!!! WAAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! (plays GWAR)

P_P4E: Hell yeah! Especially if you can lucksack out a Venser, the Sojourner (insert Sojourner of Truth joke here that no one would get anyway).

This is gonna be a fun set, but I just think the cards in it are sucky. I hope this isn't gonna be followed by another Kami block....but hey, if it is, I wouldn't mind revisiting Ravnica!!!!!

yea underground games closed down about a year ago, i only played there a few times since its like a 40 mins+ drive for me in charlotte traffic, but yea i might have to come down one friday, what you guys usually run on friday? draft? standard?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to this place before. I used to go up to Ballistic Comics in Concord all the time and I've even been to the Comic Monstore in Salisbury a few times. Actually the last time I went to Underground was for PTQ Charleston.

Anywho, I live in China Grove (well, long story, but that place is my home town, I'm currently at the beach).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1