Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draft minis

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Kabelis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Draft minis Reply with quote

So basically I think everyone agrees that there aren't enough draft minis.
Whenever they are hosted, they fill up almost instantly.

And I assume that they aren't hosted as often because the judge who hosts it has to play in it and judges often can't do that.
However, one of the judges the other day said that he can start a mini if someone hosts a server.
I did and it all worked out ok.

So could I randomly come in to #judges4you and ask if a judge can start a mini (I assume it doesn't take too long) and I would host the server?
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can pass the judge test and stop mini begging
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No Minibegging. That is not permitted on any level

2. The reason draft minis are so scarce is because they are hopelessly difficult to run.

First you need a judge to run a very long mini, limited tends to go to time far too often.
Second, you need to have all the players join NetDraft and be in #draft4you and then they all have to stay active during the draft. This is the most frustrating aspect especially when people time.

There you have it...
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telling ppl they have to pass the judge test in order to play magic seems fair.

He simply asked if he was allowed to ask, and he's treated as though he's minibegging.

Enforcing "no mini-begging" takes about as long as running a mini does. Congratulations.

A grand total of 10 mini's per day (at most) is down from about 20 per day (still a low total) from a year ago... albeit magic is at its most popular in forever. Literally doesn't make sense.
Sigil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:

A grand total of 10 mini's per day (at most) is down from about 20 per day (still a low total) from a year ago... albeit magic is at its most popular in forever. Literally doesn't make sense.

Makes a lot of sense. New people playing magic want to do it "The right way" and most likely join MODO.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigil wrote:
P_P4E wrote:

Makes a lot of sense. New people playing magic want to do it "The right way" and most likely join MODO.

I never said anything about new players. I quit for 3 years, so did half the people who play around me and they're all coming back for one reason or another. Albeit adding in that part at all is a bit sketchy, as it doesn't matter how popular magic is, just magic-league.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of people here, just not enough tournaments.

And don't tell me to pass the judge's test...
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go pass the judge test its not hard
Stork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly pro more draft Minnis. I wanted to become judge once so I can make Minnis but they told me in the channel they don't like me and so I won't get judge anyway. Then later if I would ask for a Mini they'd go "stop minnibegging!!!!111111!!!".
Kabelis offered to be host, so Judge has not more to do than in normal Minni. All he gets is standard reply.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judges complain a lot about what they do, and I'm sure it's a lot of pointless and tedious crap that they go through for the sake of free Magic, but let's be completely honest: Who wouldn't want to be able to run minis on M-L?

A long, long time ago, there was this guy on here who hacked a judge's account. He ran a crapload of minis and when he finally got busted, he kinda got thanked while also getting banned for the rest of his life, or at least that was how I heard it.
zebo_88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First you need a judge to run a very long mini, limited tends to go to time far too often.
Second, you need to have all the players join NetDraft and be in #draft4you and then they all have to stay active during the draft. This is the most frustrating aspect especially when people time.

Sorry but I don't understand why should it take so long? People sign up to the mini, then start drafting when seats are full, then there are quarterfinals, semifinals and the final, the difference between this and a constructed mini is only that twenty minutes of draft right? Forgive me if i forgot anything in this..
Stork

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeMuppet wrote:
Judges complain a lot about what they do, and I'm sure it's a lot of pointless and tedious crap that they go through for the sake of free Magic, but let's be completely honest: Who wouldn't want to be able to run minis on M-L?

A long, long time ago, there was this guy on here who hacked a judge's account. He ran a crapload of minis and when he finally got busted, he kinda got thanked while also getting banned for the rest of his life, or at least that was how I heard it.

Yeah. I am not sure how it exactly works but I am sure it is not complicated to run a Minni. I see no reason why only judges and not longterm users should be able to do it. It is only judges defending their especialness IMO. More Minnis would be just good for the site.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this got a lot of replies overnight heh.

Yea, I guess minibegging sucks.
What I meant though were draft minis specifically.
I think there is a fair share of standard minis Razz

I guess coming to #judges4you and asking to make a mini is a bit rude (I get that it would suck if every person did that), I'd just like to encourage judges to ask for a host in #draft4you if they don't have the time to participate in draft mini themselves (which I assume is the main reason draft minis aren't hosted as often)
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can message me on weekends whenever i'm online and ask for a draft mini. I often want to make minis but there's no host for them.

The general problem of few minis is not that the judges make too few. It's that the users take "free minis" for a given. They assume like they have a right to play free tournaments here or similar.

But this isn't how it works. The community makes the minis for itself. If noone is willing to produce some content, then there is no content. We however, on the other hand want to keep the content at some basic level of quality which is why we require people to take and pass the judge test in order to run minis.

An often misunderstood idea is that magic-league is a company that aims for profit. It's not our idea to get as many players as possible. It is the idea to make as many players as possible happy! This however may not be the work of a few individuals. 2 Years ago, we had about 70 judges. Maybe 1 or 2 of them ran 100+ minis a month. The average however ran only 4-8 minis a month. In total, this still makes 620 minis a month, that's 20 daily. Today, we have 2 or 3 judges that make 100+ minis, but the other judges don't run more than 4 on average anymore. Also, we have fewer judges.
The problem cannot be solved by giving out more judge rewards, then just the few 3 with 100+ run maybe 150+.

The solution to the problem of too few minis is that we get like thirty new judges. Then m-l has a good basis of continous tournaments again. Then m-l is represented by the users of m-l again, not staff like me that's not avaliable during the week...

Therefore, the standard answer is: Want something? Do something!
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with Flippi. Go get it yourself instead of asking the judges or it and being a pain (not that you are). I have done it a few times when it was dead on here. Just get in #draft4you and get a draft lined up where people want to play more than 1 game if they win. Then ask if they want to do a mock-mini. (they will prob all agree unless they have things to go do) 3 rounds. Winner stays in the channel to await his next opp. Of course you have to have full cooperation from your participants to pull this off, but it's not impossible. It's quite feasible actually. You should try it. It will help your boredom during dead times.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3