Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sealed! How to improve?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
PokeFlute

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Sealed! How to improve? Reply with quote

How does one improve his skills at sealed? With the upcoming GP I was curious to see how people approach preparing for sealed tournments.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Study the cards in the set, learn what is weak and what is powerful, read article after article, and practice practice practice.

For everything limited, I would suggest articles by Darwin Kastle.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opening grave titans is crucial
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Magic 2011, it would appear that Sword is the key.
spudfuss2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drafting will really help you understand what cards and good in limited. I feel that sealed used to be slower with jankier decks but now that its six packs, draft and sealed decks are more alike.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealed is almost always completely different than draft, so for the guy who said they are similar... F yourself! Nah jk, but do stop talking.

The key to sealed is your curve. Some decks have the nuts cards, but if their cards are all the same CC (for example, I had white green once and it was all spiders and 4cc fliers with armored ascension and obstinate baloth, etc) you will almost always lose.

Pick the colors in which you have a good amount of each relevant casting cost and you will do significantly better than if you blindly throw 22 into a deck and go with it.

Also, green is the best color in sealed while it's in the middle in draft. Worms completely own and there are so many it's kind of ridiculous, but it's obviously irrelevant telling you which color is best as it all depends on what you open.

This is only one aspect, but it's the one I would probably look to correct first.
thranarama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited is a lot more like constructed then people will lead you to believe. It is about figuring out the metagame (available cards and archetypes), deckbuilding (figuring out how to fight the metagame and what cards are just good), and then just knowing your deck and playing to your outs and knowing what possible answers your opponent might have. You get all this the same way you learn a constructed format, by practicing a lot. You can easily learn what you need to about sealed by drafting, since there aren't that many differences.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1