Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deckbuilding on a Budget

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Deckbuilding on a Budget Reply with quote

Hiya guys. As many of you know, I've been working on making a type 2 deck that's still competitive while also still being something I can afford. After much play testing, I found this to be the most interesting deck that's still competitive:

24 [M11] Forest (1)
4 [WWK] Arbor Elf
4 [M10] Elvish Visionary
4 [M11] Elvish Archdruid
4 [WWK] Joraga Warcaller
4 [ZEN] Nissa's Chosen
4 [M11] Llanowar Elves
4 [ZEN] Vines of Vastwood
4 [ZEN] Primal Bellow
4 [ZEN] Eldrazi Monument
SB: 4 [ZEN] Nissa Revane
SB: 3 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [M11] Autumn's Veil
SB: 4 [M11] Naturalize

The SB is irrelevant, but I'm gonna try and find 4 Nissa Revane atleast. Apparently they were giving her away to people new to magic at a local comic shop, so if I get myself a moustache and glasses, then I may be able to pick her up for pretty cheap.

So far, I've spent 22 bucks at starcitygames on 4x of llanowar elves, arbor elf, nissa's chosen, elvish visionary, joraga warcaller, primal bellow and 2 50-count packs of pink card sleeves. Still gotta pick up the 4x Eldrazi Monument and Elvish Archdruid which go for $10 and $3 respectively, oh, and the 24 forests which are gonna cost me $6. When this is all over with, I will have spent around $80-ish dollars (including shipping), but it's gonna feel nice to be back into paper magic again.

Note: the only card I'm gonna lose md when Type 2 rotates is Elvish Visionary, which isn't a big deal at all. Hopefully they'll sling me another decent 2cc elf.
Branhamcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deck Idea and I especially like that its still viable post rotation. I am currently testing a build close to yours I use the elves for the aggro beat as well as mana ramp to get out big guys like Emrakul, Ulamog, and Kozilek.
Sigil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the hell did you pay 6$ for basic lands? Go to your local shop and raid them from the nickel bin. Or take draft lands.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$6 for 24 forests isn't really that bad. I would spend more on gas to get to a card shop where I'm at. Plus, I'm getting 24 of my favorite John Avon lands!!!!
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending 80$ on a budget deck...boy that is a warped sense of budget...budget is like...35$ max
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, you can thank Hasbro for that... it's hard to be competitive without spending upwards of 100 dollars. I think RDW and WW and Pyromancer's Ascencion are the only other decks that aren't outrageous to build.

And this is with buying everything. I'm sure you could save a few bucks buy using your own forests, elves, etc, but I have no cards at all, so it's 80 bucks total for everything, but really more like 60 because I have shipping and handling plus some pink card sleeves (because hey, if you're gonna play elves, they might as well be in pink card sleeves).
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasbro has no control over the secondary market
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are responsible for the initial supply, so don't tell me they have no control over the secondary market. They are responsible for half of it....the supply part of supply/demand....and really, when you also think that they not only control the rarity but also make the card, then they also control the demand by making usable cards.

They screwed up when they made Mythic Rares. Just look at Yu-Gi-Oh.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
hasbro has no control over the secondary market

control no, influence yes. +I find it very hard to believe that there isn't a single employee that has said "Hey we could sell jace's on the secondary market and noone will know the difference
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... that doesnt make any sense, ya wotc employees have a secret stash of jaces they sell to make more money
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you working at Hasbro, wouldn't you?
Jag4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be funny if Wizards produced a Jace vs Gideon set, with the Mind Sculptor in it, not Beleren.

There would be some upset dealers for sure Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1