Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relentless Rat Deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Relentless Rats in play equals three 4/4 creatures, not 5/5.

They are still powerful in numbers, and if your opponents cannot kill them either by mass removal, targeted removal, blocking or burn, they are difficult to handle.

The problem is that they are only big in numbers. This means that turn 3 you get to play a 2/2. Turn 4 you get to play another and they are 3/3. Turn 5 you get to play another and they are 4/4... and if you have dropped a land every turn you could finally play Deprive, Mana Leak or Doom Blade as well. But this is slow and weak so far, especially if they killed one of your three rats.

In other words, it will certainly be a challenge winning with that deck. I would have gone for a mono black deck with equipments like Sword of Vengeance and finishers like Eldrazi Monument. Much more creature based. Eventually add green mana ramping spells or creatures in order to start playing more rats earlier.
Pins4Sins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just add more Chalices, take out more rats, I think you are running too many rats, and should rely more on the rite of replication?

Also you shouldn't use so many doom blade they aren't that great go play Jund more then come back and tell me about it.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My casual rats deck, takes on a little more beastmasters ascension theme

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
10 [DM] Swamp (2)
10 [ALA] Forest (1)

// Creatures
4 [M11] Grave Titan
4 [RAV] Birds of Paradise
16 [10E] Relentless Rats

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Beastmaster Ascension
4 [ZEN] Eldrazi Monument
4 [M10] Overrun
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rampant Growth and Explore are both cheap and does the job quite well.

Look at this version:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
16 [ROE] Swamp (3)
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats

// Creatures
20 [M10] Relentless Rats

// Spells
4 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
4 [M11] Sign in Blood
3 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
3 [ZEN] Eldrazi Monument
2 [M11] Sword of Vengeance

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M11] Doom Blade
SB: 4 [M10] Tendrils of Corruption
SB: 4 [M10] Duress
SB: 3 [M10] Pithing Needle

The reason why Inquisition is main rather than Doom Blade is because it is a spell you can and will play before turn 3, which is always going to be used to play a rat. Doom Blade requires that they play an early creature, and you really want to do at least something the first and second turns of a game. Sign in Blood and Inquisition fills that role in the deck. Grim Discovery nets you two cards whenever it is played, since at least one of the 3-4 first rats you play will be killed in every game, and you will certainly have at least one fetchland in the gy by turn 5, when you first get the opportunity to do this.

Eldrazi Monument is an auto-include in any Relentless Rats deck. If you play it with two rats in play, you get to swing for 8, and you will continue to drop at least one rat per turn the next 2-3 turns. That is a winning move.

Sword of Vengeance gives haste to the rat you play in the first main phase after you got 6 mana. I am unsure if you need two, but one should be in there just for that reason. It makes a single rat a threat as well, and I think that is needed mid/late game.

None of this makes the deck anywhere near good, but if none of your friends can afford Maelstrom Pulse and Day of Judgement, let alone Baneslayer Angel and her Mythic friends, Relentless Rats functions much like a poor man's Allies deck. Some decks just can't cope with an ever growing army of black creatures.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If none of your friends actually builds competitive decks, I am sure you will kick their asses with anything purpose-built you can pull off.

Naya Allies is a decent deck, but I think the best cards in it are rares. 20 rats costs at least $40 alone, and an Allies deck closes in on $100 if you run the necessary lands.

What about a White Weenie with Ajani Goldmane? Should be cheap and good.
DivineHeresy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it HAVE to be Standard? It doesn't seem like it, if they are PURELY casual.

If not, try stuff like Thrumming Stone and Surge of Zeal, along with some Lotus Bloom and Rite of Flame. Then you don't have to play NEARLY as many rats.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1