Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyro Ascen for SCG Denver

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
iMoxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Pyro Ascen for SCG Denver Reply with quote

I need some help in trying to get this to work more consistently. I find myself digging for answers. Does Temple Bell or Howling Mine have a place in this deck?

This is my current list:

4 Pyromancer's Ascension
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Call to Mind
4 Mana Leak
4 Time Warp
1 Banefire
1 Into the Roil
4 Burst Lightning
2 Foresee

4 Scalding Tarn
12 Island
8 Mountain

SB:
3 Into the Roil
4 Negate
4 Pyroclasm
2 Echo Mage
2 - undecided.

Thoughts?
strider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most consistent list is this due to my testing and experience:
Spells:
4 howling mine
4 timewarp
4 pyro
4 lb
4 burst
4 into the roil
4 ponder
4 preordain
4 mana leak
3 call to mind
Lands:
4 scalding tarn
11 island
6 mountain
iMoxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That low of mana count works? Due to the large amount of draw?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're having trouble finding spells, just add Halimar Depths. That way you don't have to let the matchups that are already sketchy (UW control) get more answers against you.

I'd cut all the singletons and go to 4 into the roil. Banefire doesn't do ANYTHING for you (if it gets that late, you simply lose every single time), and foresee is kind of expensive. Usually at that point you want to go ascension, leaving Leak mana (or roil mana) open for their O-ring or pulse or whatever, then you untap and get the counters, leaving leak (or roil) mana open again, then you go off turn 6.

I think forked bolt is a stronger maindeck card than pyroclasm, but I do think clasm is a 4 of in the board.

So I'd cut 1x banefire, 2x foresee, 1 mountain and 3 island and add 3 into the roil and 4 halimar depths.

I will add that most lists run either treasure hunt or see beyond also, but I don't know what I'd cut. 1x call to mind, 2x into the roil (going to 2?), 1 land and getting 4 more dig spells in there. You're not really turboing into the roil, and that could be your additional sb slots.
thranarama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would cut pyro and howling mine for see beyond and foresee. I don't see the point in playing non-spell effects that help your opponents. Also, what universe do you live in where u/w is a sketchy matchup for this deck? It is grossly in your favor unless you play like a donkey.
DivineHeresy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, Foresee seems too slow to be effecting. I would rather load up on See Beyond and Into the Roil.
Sprouts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using an Ld package of 4 tectonic edges + 4 spreading seas. I also tremendously like calcyte snapper md. I use roiling terrain sb so i have 12 anti land cards and that works very well for me.
iMoxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so few Call to Mind? If I have an ascension online and cast a Call to Mind can the copied Call to Mind grab the one just cast?

Last edited by iMoxx on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Subaru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but creatures just dilute the deck's power really. You want cantrips and burn and ascension. I don't know why nobody runs Staggershock though, anything with rebound seems ridiculous in an ascension deck.
Sprouts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staggershock is slow. You dont need power really, you need speed and card draw with the deck. Power will be there once you hit ascenscion. I like snapper here because it:

1 - kills planeswalkers
2 - is an alternate win condition (it will get there very often)
3 - it blocks sprouting thrinax which is a pain in the ass (running bounce md is sub-par) and many other creatures.

Ld sb raises your chance against UW as well as Jund. My list is

4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst lightning
4 Time warp
4 Treasure hunt
4 Mana leak (or deprive, the one u prefer)

4 Calcytte snapper

4 Pyromancer Ascenscion

4 tectonic edge
4 halimar depths
4 scalding tarn
7 mountain
5 island

sb:

4 into the roil
4 spreading seas
4 roiling terrain
3 siege-gang commander'
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMoxx wrote:
Why so few Call to Mind? If I have an ascension online and cast a Call to Mind can the copied Call to Mind grab the one just cast?

no
IanMac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
7 [MR] Mountain (1)
11 [ST] Island (3)
1 [WWK] Halimar Depths

// Spells
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension
4 [M11] Preordain
2 [ZEN] Into the Roil
4 [BRB] Mana Leak
4 [U] Lightning Bolt
4 [ST] Time Warp
3 [M11] Call to Mind
4 [10E] Howling Mine
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [10E] Flashfreeze
SB: 4 [M11] Negate
SB: 3 [P2] Earthquake
SB: 1 [CFX] Banefire
SB: 4 [WWK] Dispel

Seems to work well.

Just two roil as drawing multiples is harsh. You do need them to deal with Leylines and such however. Plenty of other cards to activate your pyro ascension that are cheaper in the deck.

I've tried removing Howling Mine however it is such a helpful card when you're attempting to go off that it got put back in after a day of testing.

The main problem for this deck is a good UW draw go deck, non-tapout style with a good player that knows how to bide their time. Hence the 4 negate, 4 dispell, 1 banefire in the sb. Side out your bolts and burst lightning and one roil and hope to get an active ascension and protect it.

Vs Jund this version tends to perform well as you have Bolts and Burst lightning to drop bloodbraids and attacking thrinaxes and buy you enough time to go off. I've even had people pull off a Thought Hemmorage on my ascension then gone off with just Time Warps and mines to buy enough time and just burn them down.

Vs RDW it's basically the same deal as Jund however it's hard to stop First turn Guide, Second turn guide peaks, third turn ball lightning type of rush. Just hope you can outrace them. Their scariest sideboard card is Jinxed Idol.

Vs Mythic or Vengevine Naya you need to pop their early mana dorks and Cobras and then hope you can survive their nasty sideboard options.. Qasali Pridemage, O ring, Celestial Purge, etc.. Their deck often has the sideboard to turn into anti-ascension.dec so while game one is often an easy win, game 2 and 3 are tooth and nail.

Vs. Green aggro you're gonna pop their mana dorks or early drops, and go off before they can deal you lethal. Sideboard again can be problematic as they may have Nature's Claim, Back to Nature, Acidic Slime, etc.. However you have Earthquake.

Vs. Runeflare Trap Side in your dispels, side out your mines since they're gonna have them in anyway. Throw in your Negates for Burst Lightning, and hope to get a charged ascension on the board. Tough matchup since they don't need an active ascension to win and they often have Roils + countermagic to stop you from gettign one.

Vs. Various Turboland decks you should have no issues, just go off before their generally slow threats are active. They have very few options to interact with you, you can pop their oracles or cobras or whatever.

Vs. Walkers/Superfriends like tapout UW they often don't have much to do preboard against you. After board things can again get hairy but you still have the advantage of them lacking fast threats and often having to tapout to play the ones they have.
Xerocious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still can't see how that list (which is pretty much like my own) doesn't lose to jund 9 out of 10 times..
IanMac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xerocious wrote:
still can't see how that list (which is pretty much like my own) doesn't lose to jund 9 out of 10 times..

Hmm I donno. I ignore their leeches, burn down the bloodbraids and thrinaxes as they attack and hope they don't cast a blightning or pulse when I have no mana leak or cascade one or the other.

Maybe you get paired with 4x Duress 4x Blightning 4x Pulse jund? ^_^
Xerocious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanMac wrote:
Xerocious wrote:

Hmm I donno. I ignore their leeches, burn down the bloodbraids and thrinaxes as they attack and hope they don't cast a blightning or pulse when I have no mana leak or cascade one or the other.

Maybe you get paired with 4x Duress 4x Blightning 4x Pulse jund? ^_^

Isn't that the most common Jund nowadays? ;P
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2