Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ascension with a sideboard twist

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
JonnyH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Ascension with a sideboard twist Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
6 [M11] Mountain (2)
12 [M11] Island (2)

// Spells
3 [M10] Time Warp
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
4 [M10] Howling Mine
4 [ZEN] Into the Roil
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [M11] Mana Leak
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
4 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension
4 [M10] Ponder
3 [M11] Negate

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ZEN] Cosi's Trickster
SB: 4 [M11] Merfolk Sovereign
SB: 4 [ROE] Coralhelm Commander
SB: 3 [ZEN] Lullmage Mentor

This sideboard was created to smash control decks once they remove all their creature removals. I will side out 3 time warps, 4 pyromancer ascension, 4 ponder, and 4 pre ordains.

Are these creatures a good combo or should I go in a different direction? (maybe 4 hell spark elemental, 4 cosi trickster, 4 kiln fiend, 3 stagger shocks)

I'm open to suggestions and feedback.
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

better creatures like Horizon Drake and 4/4 Sphinx please.
Pins4Sins

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Halimar Depths? Sad Crying or Very sad
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howling mine? That doesn't do anything. You don't have see beyond in your deck, either.

Negate I like better than Treasure Hunt, though.
Xerocious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sphinx is worth a try, as well as the shroudy one.
depths are bad without treasure hunt.
mine is pure awesomeness Very Happy
though i don't see that sidebaord winning against jund (what should be the main task of an ascension sideboard nowadays) =/
HuDat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
howling mine? That doesn't do anything. You don't have see beyond in your deck, either.

do you know how ascension works? Howling mines are essential to the combo.

I lost about 120 rating after coming back from a year break of magic with playing this deck, I mastered it and found it wasn't viable in the current meta.

This sideboard is a good idea though, but if you lose game 1 you're kinda screwed anyway.
Xerocious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuDat wrote:
P_P4E wrote:

do you know how ascension works? Howling mines are essential to the combo.

I lost about 120 rating after coming back from a year break of magic with playing this deck, I mastered it and found it wasn't viable in the current meta.

This sideboard is a good idea though, but if you lose game 1 you're kinda screwed anyway.

howling mines are not essential to the combo, but kinda helpful Wink

I won about 100 points of rating (1750->1850), playing that deck the last weeks ago. If your meta is more UW than Jund, that deck is in pretty fine position in my opinion.
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, 8 bolt are useless in this deck. I think it's just better have more manipulation of the deck and some counters. Howling mine it's not a sorcery or a instant so it's not so awesome in this deck.

// Lands
2 [WWK] Halimar Depths
8 [UNH] Island
7 [UNH] Mountain
1 [UNH] Plains
3 [M11] Terramorphic Expanse
3 [ROE] Evolving Wilds

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension
4 [A] Lightning Bolt
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [ZEN] Into the Roil
4 [SH] Mana Leak
4 [M11] Call to Mind
4 [ROE] See beyond
4 [TE] Time Warp

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [MOR] Negate
SB: 4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 4 [WWK] Rest for the Weary
SB: 4 [A] Earthquake

I think a list like this (yeah, rest for the weary. against monoR gain 8/16 life with one spells is basically an "i win") it's better.

Then, let's talk about the sb plan: the idea of the 15 merfolks post sb it's not great, and the hellspark/kiln fiend/tricksters/staggershock it's even worst, and that is why: first of all, with sideboards like yours, against all the others decks you don't sideboard, and that is cleary bad. Secondly, think about which cards a classic list of uwafo tapa has to side in/out:

+3 purge +1 flashfreeze +1 cancel +1 oblivion ring +2 negate
-2 day of judgment -2 condemn -2 path to exile -2 essence scatter

against you siding in kiln fiend/hellspark ecc they still have:

counters like mana leak, cancel and deprive
purge for hellspark and kiln fiend, o-ring for all the creatures
wall of omens that stop hellsparks
flashfreeze goes on kiln fiend, bolts, hellspark, staggershock and negate goes on your mana leak, into the roil, bolts, staggershock...they're not dead cards.

Imho they're going to win easily than before.

against you siding in the merfolks it's a little harder for their, but it's almost the same, they'll have:

counter like mana leak, cancel and deprive
o-ring for the creatures, but purge it's a dead card.
wall of omens to slow down your race
flashfreeze it goes only on the bolts, negate only on mana leak, into the roil and bolts.

Like i was saying, with the merfolks it could be better than with the fiend/hellspark ecc, but i don't think a control with like 10 generic counters, 3 spot removal, 4 walls, sun titan and planeswalkers will die to some bolts and a bunch of small creatures without some awesome ability: the nullmage it's just a 2/2 cc3 (you've only mana leak), sovereign requires other merfolks to work good..cosi's trickster it's a bad topdeck, imho the only real threat are the corahelm commanders.

In the end, you'll get a true profit if, for example, you lose the first game, you win the second with the creatures plan, and in the third game your opponent side in the removal and you'll return to the original combo deck. Instead if you win the first game and then you'll lose with the creatures plan, your opponent will probably thinks something like "well, against his creatures plan i'm not so awesome, but i can win...i win right now! so i'll leave the sb like this, 'cause if i'll sb the removal and my opponent will return to the combo deck, i'll probably just lose doing anyhing about it. it's better to have a chance against both type of deck."

So, i'll prefer a normal sb for this deck, even if i truly love decks that they change completely post sb it's not always possible to do it.
JonnyH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Duodax - Great idea! I'll add 4 Horizon drake's and 3 conundrum sphinx's.

@ pins4sin - So much nonbasic land removal that playing basic lands ruin my opponent.

I'm going to try and make this creature sideboard work =D.

Updated deck list -

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [WWK] Horizon Drake
SB: 4 [WWK] Calcite Snapper
SB: 3 [M11] Conundrum Sphinx
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can just play 4 commanders and a bunch of counters, you dont need 15 creatures vs control
JonnyH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ gypsy - Right, I don't need so many creatures. I removed creatures and added counters and a treat for jace users.

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [WWK] Horizon Drake
SB: 4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
SB: 3 [ROE] Deprive
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1