Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/G Titans. Need feedback.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
DXMachina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: B/G Titans. Need feedback. Reply with quote

I put together a decklist using Fauna Shaman and the black and green Titans. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

LANDS:
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Marsh Flats
2 Tectonic Edge
6 Swamp
9 Forest

CREATURES:
3 Primeval Titan
2 Grave Titan
4 Vengevine
4 Bloodghast
3 Liliana's Specter
4 Fauna Shaman
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Birds of Paradise

SPELLS:
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Cultivate
4 Doom Blade

SIDEBOARD:
2 Gatekeeper of Malakir
2 Consuming Vapors
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Vampire Hexmage
2 Haunting Echoes
2 Naturalize
3 Mind Rot

I've considered using Ob Nixilis, the Fallen, or putting Vampire Nighthawks in place of the Liliana's Specters. Please give me your opinions on the decklist and let me know if there are any changes you would make.
Thanks!!
-DX
DXMachina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot my SB or Metagame analysis... Also, this is a deck for real life, not M-L, so the opinions on this may vary.

Overall, I've seen a general lack of people playing black in my local metagame, so a creature heavy deck should be able to thrive without much fear of tons of removal (at least from who I've played lately). Doom Blade rarely has illegal targets, so thats in. Garruk has proven his worth by being a nice win con using ramp and overrun, but I'm not sure if I should up it to 3 Garruks. Bloodghast with Primeval Titan will stay around for a while, and I've got enough ramp and smaller creatures to be able to reanimate my Vengevines without a problem. The one thing I am concerned about is the lack of card advantage. I think Sign in Blood would be a good addition, but I wanted to test this first.

Sideboard: Gatekeeper and Vapors for getting rid of creatures I can't target or with pro-black. Obstinate Baloth because of Jund, R/B, etc, and it's fairly solid even when it's not free. Hexmage for 'walkers, or other annoying things with counters. Haunting Echoes is something I've been wanting to use for a while but couldn't find a place for it. Takes care of Bloodghast, Vengevine, Pyromancer triggers, recursion, and is great for eliminating options ahead of time. Naturalize is obvious. Mind Rot, simply because if I can't have card advantage, I may as well cause card disadvantage.

Hopefully this works out, but I'm unsure if I need Cultivate. Let me know what you all think!
-DX
Subaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can cut a fauna shaman.=/ Just, I dunno, having four in your deck is unecessary. I mean 3 is perfectly fine since you're not actually gonna throw away smaller guys with Vengevines in the graveyard.
Ob Nixilis...well, I think if you wanna play that card, Garruk doesn't really work. I mean he gets you from 4 to 7 and by that time Ob Nixilis is just so not the best option. If you wanna curve out and then finish with Primeval and Nixilis out, Garruk isn't your best option. Since Garruk is the better card, it's just your choice what to use.
Specter could be Nighthawk, but I dunno, I think that putting your opponent down a card is better in this metagame than sheer board presence. Although, with baloths around until Jund rotates, it's just a choice.
Mind Rot, well, Mind Rot is an interesting thing to bring up though. I mean, if you wanna cause card disadvantage like that, why not just take it out, put specters there and nighthawk main? I mean, you're maindecking the 1/2 Mind Rot with wings, so, I dunno?
And then, I think that one or two Sword of Vengeance will work so well in your deck. I mean, you play Ghast, and that's just really ridiculous when you go, turn two ghast, turn three sword, ghast dies to some random two drop or removal spell or something, then land, birds, ghast with sword. Just my opinion dude, it's your deck and it's obviously more aggro, so I just thought Sword would work.
Sigil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB and no maelstrom pulse? No leech?
Subaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously post Shards.
BlackPen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While prime-evil titan is a good a card, it doesn't do anything broken in your deck. I would change the split to 4-1 grave titan to prime evil. I think u only want prime-evil to get bloodghast back and get tectonic edges, while grave titan will always be nuts. for sure play four maelstrom pulse if you can afford them, when alara rotates you can take them out. doom blade seems like an obvious thing to cut for pulse. 23 lands seems a little low. Test the deck out a little and find out what is dead and what isnt and take out some dead cards for lands and pulse imo. also i don't think you can realistically cast gatekeeper in most situations, i would drop it down to 1 in your sb so you can tutor for it when u need it and have mana for it. Def have 4 fauna shamans. It makes your draws much better. when u flood w/ too many mana dorks u can just throw them away and ofc it does broken things w/ bloodghast and vengevine.
DXMachina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lets break this down based on a few test games and what you guys have said.

Overall, I've found Grave Titan to be better than Primeval for this deck. I might sway them to 3-2, rather than 4-1, since I'm still entertaining the ObNix idea. Yes, this will be post-Shards, and for right now, I'm definitely going to make use of the 3 Pulses I own in place of DB, but I'm trying to build this for later. Fauna Shaman will likely drop to 3 with the 4th in SB. I kept running into Shaman late game with no creatures in hand when I would have much preferred to see VV, Titans, etc. Specter hasn't seen much play so far, but I think I might turn them into Nighthawks simply because I'm sideboarding Mind Rot. Bloodghast is definitely the champion of this deck so far in the games I've played. I've found that I usually can't hold onto the creatures long enough to reanimate VV, but if I do hang on to the creatures, my board presence is subpar, and I can't compete. Bloodghast has pulled me out of some crazy situations though, so he'll be sticking around. Also, didn't see Cultivate at all, but in many situations I was hoping for creatures, so I think I'm going to turn the 3 Cultivates into either Garruk #3 and 2 Sign in Blood, or just 3 Sign in Blood.
Sword of Vengeance has been considered. I don't own any at the moment, but it definitely seems like a solid card to have on board.
Gatekeeper will probably come out, but Consuming Vapors is great. I have halfheartedly considered throwing a Kozilek or 2 in my SB because of the ramp I have going. However, seeing how Vengevine and Bloodghast are such crucial parts of this deck, I hesitated on that.
Also, thoughts on whether Crystal Ball would be a good idea in this deck or not?
DXMachina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, at this point, playing this pre-rotation we have:

+3 Maelstrom Pulse
+3 Putrid Leech
+2 Grave Titan
+3 Sign in Blood
+1 Sword of Vengeance

-1 Fauna Shaman
-3 Cultivate
-3 Liliana Specter
-1 Primeval Titan
-4 Doom Blade

SB:
-2 Gatekeeper
+1 Fauna Shaman
+1 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen

Depending on local meta, I may go -1 Forest and/or -1 Swamp for +1/2 more Tectonic Edge. We'll see how that works out locally.

Post rotation will be similar:
-3 Leech
-3 Pulse

+3 Doom Blade
+2 Specter
+1 Sword of V.

SB:
-1 Mind Rot
+1 Nighthawk

Thanks for the input guys. Still open for comments. Very Happy
DXMachina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, after building my mono green Monument/Beastmaster deck, I wanted to try splashing black, but could never get it figured out properly. I may consider that now that Grave Titan makes a huge amount of dudes.
ha897

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i playtested this almost exact list.
it was horible.
the inconsistency of not having fauna shaman will tear you apart. the only way it can possibly work is if your facing some extremely slow deck, and they give you permission to basically win.
even if you do get the ideal hand, fauna shaman will get obliterated by removal, and thats your powerhouse, (this is all assuming that your using this post rotation)
and as for prior to rotation, theres no reason to just add black and go jund.
i can see this deck crying as turboland rips it apart, and calls it daddy.
(also, even if you do decide to play with this deck, the gatekeeper of sideboard is a mistake looking at your mana pool. im assuming that you did your math for the mana pool, but looking at the list, it appears not
Subaru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@_@ Monument would be so powerful here. I can see what you mean with VV, and I actually just had the notion that only having three of them, then adding one or two Eldrazi Monument would be so powerful. Grave Titan just fuels that card forever and so do Ghasts. Monument would be a much better choice than Ob Nixilis imo. I would even cut one of the Primeval titans straight out for it too. And it gives you a higher incentive to play another garruk somewhere.
Shinato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again a deck with nice cards and no inherent strategy.
DXMachina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ha897
Ok, I appreciate the reply, but if you had read my other posts, you would see that I've already taken out Gatekeepers, and fixed it for pre-rotation. I'm not sure what you changed for your "almost exact" copy of this list, but I've had pretty decent success in my tests so far. If I wanted to play Jund, I would be playing Jund, and this list would be extremely different. 4 Fauna Shamans has been too much for me in testing, which is why the 4th is in the board. Titans are at 4 and 2, Grave and Primeval, but I'm considering going back up to a 3rd Primeval.

@Snacks
Please read the rest of the posts before you bash. Pulse and Leech are already in the deck. Drawing into 1 or 2 of 6 Titans during the games hasn't been a problem yet, even when Shaman gets tanked.

@everyone
Thanks for all the feedback you've given me. Most of my final changes are in the previous posts, although Ob Nix, Kozilek, and a couple Titans have been flip-flopping around in the deck and sideboard as I test. Also, Nighthawk and Specter have switched around a bunch too. Doom Blade sneaks in and out too.
Gucster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running a couple of variety of Titan's decks. Fast Weenie Decks usually beat me up. It's really good to see I was the only one putting OB in the Deck.

Grave Titan although very powerful hasn't been much of a problem for opponents. So I took him out and Added the Inferno plus it will be cheaper on my pocket book.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinato wrote:
Again a deck with nice cards and no inherent strategy.

So basically, half of standard and extended? it seems to be working for the pros...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2