Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old school black deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
mordraid007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Old school black deck Reply with quote

Back in the days i used to play a pretty efficient T1 mono-black discard deck that was also known as butterknives.

With M11 out and nantuko shade back in the mix, i thought that this deck might be playable again in standard format.

Here's the decklist i've come up to:

4x nantuko shade
4x vampire nighthawk
4x duress
4x inquisition of kozilek
4x bloodchief ascension
4x liliana's caress
4x dark tutelage
4x sign in blood
4x doom blade (or another spot removal)
24x swamp

I think that the idea of the deck is pretty simple. Efficient creatures with some hand denial. The sign in blood and dark tutelage are there to be sure that you get what you need.

Bloodchief ascension is a wonder and does a pretty good job at stopping the new valakut land deck.

Please tell me what you think of it.
xxapathyxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,if you want hand denial why dont you try this:

X3 mind sludge
X4 nighthawk
X4 Shade
X3 duress
X2 inquisition of kozilek
X4 doom blade
X2 marsh casualties
X2 sadistic sacrament
X2 sorin markov
X2 liliana vess
X4 Doom blade
X4 bloodchief ascension
X4 marsh flats
X4 verdant catacombs
X16 swamps

The fetch lands help thin out your deck so you dont have as many dead land draws, while the signs still help you draw. Theres more discard, more control and just a little more well rounded.
mordraid007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be rude by any means but, i really doubt that your decklist is superior.

Mind sludge, marsh casualties and sadistic sacrament are just sub-par cards in my opinion.

By the way, how can a deck that is more '' well rounded'' like you said could contain 8 doom blade ??

As for the fetch, i know that they thin the deck but if i remember, an article was made some time ago, when the first fetchs were out, and the writer calculated the odds and benefits of fetch lands in mono color. It seems that the life loss is not really efficient vs the % of getting non-land after a fetch.

Also, i consider using fetch but, with dark tutelage and sign in blood, there is enough life loss in the deck already.

After some testing, i found out that 24 swamp is too much. i'll probably reduce the land count to 22.

Any other constructive ideas ?
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have too few win conditions, and thus too few ways of activating Bloodchief Ascension. Megrim-style discard decks have never really impressed anyone, and Liliana's Caress, as Megrim, are terrible topdecks. Once they are in topdeck mode, half your deck are terrible draws. If they have dealt with Shade and Nighthawk by then, you will not ascend Bloodchief, and Tutelage will slowly kill you.

Discard is only good at slowing the opponent down, not at dealing with their threats or winning the game. Adding a card (Caress) that needs to be in play before you start plucking their hand apart conflicts with the function of Duress and Inquisition.

so:

-4 Liliana's Caress
-4 Bloodchief Ascension
+4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
+4 Bloodghast/Vampire Hexmage/Black Knight/Arrogant Bloodlord/Liliana's Specter/Vampire Lacerator
mordraid007

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that megrim isn't that great. i just wanted to see if caress would be better since it has a reduce casting cost.

as far as testing goes it proves that caress isn't that good either.

On the other hand, the bloodchief ascension isn't that bad at all. maybe not 4.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1