Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting acclimated to MWS play

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)
Clarinetist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Getting acclimated to MWS play Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I'm brand new to MWS, and sort of brand new to Magic (I played seriously ~5 years ago, and wanted to pick it up again online as a sort of mental exercise). I've been trying to play a few games online with people on the mws server to get some playing experience/practice before trying my hand at competitive matches, and have been really frustrated by how often players disconnect with me simply for taking a couple of extra seconds to click "roll die" or taking a little bit of extra time to comprehend what's in my hand before deciding to keep or mulligan. Its an annoying environment to try and pick up a new system in, and there's very little else I can do outside of what I currently do--make sure to avoid players that host games that involve tags like "serious" or "fast players only".

Granted, there have been a few great players who've understood that everyone starts somewhere, and have been patient as I learn my way around the hotkeys, but for the most part, people on the mws server seem to be just plain rude. Given this, what's an online Magic newb like me to do? Should I just start trying to find matches via Magic-League, or am I doomed to learning this program as 75% of my matches are dropped by impatient grade-schoolers? How did many of you get proficient playing with MWS?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
mikethemid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the solo mode to get a hang of the hotkeys and other such nuancies. it helpped me alot
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use solo mode, and practice with your deck in solo mode first, so you can evaluate your hands well, this is good practice in general to get a good feel for when to mulligan and how your deck draws out
Avelestar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others. Practice alone! I spent at least 2 hours just fooling around with the program when I first got it, and before I start playing with any deck I spend some time playing solo to get the hang of it, see what hands are keepers etc.

I would also suggest looking for games in the IRC! If you dodge the trolls, you can usually find someone to play with (though they'll probably want a ranked match) or join a mini and have some fun....cause you know, Darkwizard has run 100 in the past 24 hours.
Wyr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also new to MWS, so you are welcome to play with me any time, and at any pace you wish.
Zeph

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Practice in solo mode.

2. Create your games. When you create a game is you who have the option of control the game environment. If a player writes "casual for fun, budget decks" he is controlling his environment. If you create a game and write "new to mws" you will get only players interested in that kind of match.

3. I'm not a grade-schooler and except if you catch me in a very good mood and with enough free time I wouldn't play with you. People want what their games state they want.

Some days ago I helped someone with the keys but he was all except a slow learner. Even when his 1st match was against me he played quickly and deduced how to do a lot of things even without knowing the hotkeys (you know, in mws there are some things you can do in more than one way).
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1