Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Fixing" a draft, hypothetical

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Kholdstare42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: "Fixing" a draft, hypothetical Reply with quote

Let's say that you and two of your buddies decide to go draft at a store youve never been to before, and were all in the mood to savagely cheat in order to get infinite booster packs. obviously, the best way to do this would be to somehow manipulate the draft by sitting next to each other, three in a row. it would be outrageously unfair and is definantly illegal, but what would be your gameplan? do the three of you go into the draft with the idea of forcing certain colors? or have the person on the far right draft all three decks so to speak? this is completely hypothetical and this shouldny be done...it came to me when i saw how many channel-fireball teammates were in the top8 draft at the last pro tour. seems like it would be ultra easy to fix...
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how exactly do u plan on "fixing" it? you draft your own deck and they draft theirs i dont see any problem with it
Rikets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if three people sat together they could pass the best to each person easily its not hard to set up a draft...it might be illegal but it happens all the time
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably do something like the guy in the middle plays 1 solid color and a small splash of the deepest color if needed, and then the outsides play heavy 2 colors.

You could signal somehow if the guy on the far left opens a bomb of a particular color that's basically unpassable, and do it that way. Kinda like the movie Rounders, it would be easy to spot unless you're up against complete idiots...

Then again...why do you need to cheat against idiots?
cogdill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way you would be able to arrange seating was if the draft was unsanctioned or private because normally at a store or tourney the seating is done randomly into pod's, you cant just choose where you want to sit.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya u can pass 1 person good cards all u want but theres still 5 other people drafting at the table and taking other cards so it doesnt matter that 3 people are "trying to fix" the draft cause theres outside factors other than the 3 guys passing to each other
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends... Sometimes, it's not so much "fixing" the draft as much as... You say... "I wanna go Bg, I wanna go UR, and I wanna go GW." or w/e... Then, you draft as usual, forcing those colors. You're not necessarily helping your friend by passing him broken cards; you're just drafting your deck. Granted, you're less likely to hate if you're passing to those two people, but most of the time you're passing the same cards you would be passing in a normal draft if you were trying to force a deck.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Honolulu draft...
*Kibler*: Oooo a Mycoloth... and an Oring?!?! I know the guy next to me and he is aware of my love for Esper so Im gonna ship him the bomb and he will hook me up for sure!

Clearly against the rules.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final note... The whole premise of this is stupid. Drafting 3 good decks > 1 REALLY good deck that can lose to mana screw, another solid deck, etc.

Real cheating is like... Everyone drafting every good card they can find... Going off into another room or something and swapping cards.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in every draft that matters there is a seating order so you can't just sit next to your teammates, you have to sit in whatever randomly assigned seat you get.
Wyr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Fixing" a draft, hypothetical Reply with quote

Kholdstare42 wrote:
it came to me when i saw how many channel-fireball teammates were in the top8 draft at the last pro tour. seems like it would be ultra easy to fix...

Maybe they learned to play instead of trying to learn to cheat.
Stork

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
channel-fireball pays endorsement $$$ for people to wear their shirts in premier events
hence the number of people "on the team" is half the attendants hoping to get a few extra bucks by making a showing.

NO. 3 reggular writers made Top8, 1 regular writer was 9th (maybe 10th) and LSV himself finished Ttop 50. Thats why it was s o spectacular domninace, dont take away credit!!!
Stork

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but all of the 4 Top10 are regular writers for chanelfireball even befiore read my post man.
Kholdstare42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im definantly not insinuating the channel fireball guys cheated, they won on play ability definantly. and if they did cheat..2 of them ended up with horrendous decks..so they suck at cheating
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2