Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ad Nauseam in T2??

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kytep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Ad Nauseam in T2?? Reply with quote

With the popularity of planeswalkers in today's T2, I've been toying around with ideas on how to get quick access to multiple Pithing Needles, and other ways to generate card advantage. In the process I've created the following Ad Nauseam deck which in very limited testing (a few matches) is doing pretty well and feels pretty powerful. Because I won't have much time to thoroughly test it, I thought I'd share it in case anyone else wants to run with it.

Concept: Defend yourself and gain life to fuel a big Ad Nauseam, which then feeds large and/or multiple Martial Coups to win the game (Zealous Persecutuion works great to accelerate the wins, if desired!). Nothing in the deck except Nauseam has a CMC greater than 2, and the life-gainers (Rest, Sunspring, Captain) all pay for themselves - and several other cards.

Vs. aggro decks (e.g., RDW), its 4 Perimeter Captains, 4 Wall of Omens, 3 Rest for the Weary, and 2 Sunspring Expeditions maindeck make it tough for aggro to win Game 1. I'm not even sure the Firewalkers are needed in the side (although be careful with those Nauseams!)

Vs. control decks (e.g., Superfriends), you have up to 4 Pithing Needles post-side, and up to 4 Duress and 2 Mind Shatter help ensure you'll be able to get your Nauseam through to find them as well as multiple Coups (instant speed also helps). You'll likely have plenty of life to make the Nauseam big, which means you'll quickly overpower your opponent with card advantage (Duress, multiple Coups)

Vs. decks that rely on mana creatures (e.g., Mythic Conscription), see 4 Zealous Persecutions maindeck for fun, instant-speed surprises. Persecutions can also be cast to great effect in response to a Monument or Polymorph, and work great with Coup tokens (see above). And vs. Conscription/Monuments, you can always side in Dispeller's Capsules, which can be found with Nauseams.

Vs. decks that rely on graveyard recursion (e.g., NLB, Dredge), you have up to 3 Suffer the Past post-side, which also happens to double as an instant-speed Consume - the life gain of course works great to fuel and/or recover from a Nauseam.

Here's the deck; enjoy!

Vomit Casserole v1
4 Ad Nauseam
3 Rest for the Weary (life gain helps survive early, fuel Nauseams, and recover from them)
2 Sunspring Expedition (ditto)
4 Perimeter Captain (ditto; need to survive early game)
4 Wall of Omens
4 Zealous Persecution (great vs. mana dorks and with Coup)
4 Everflowing Chalice (not 100% sure I need these; might exchange for a couple of lands and another Rest or something?)
4 Martial Coup
3 Path to Exile (vs. manlands, survive until big Coup)
1 Mind Shatter
1 Pithing Needle (random singleton vs. Planeswalkers Game 1)
1 Suffer the Past (random singleton vs. Venge, etc. Game 1; can also finish)

4 Marsh Flats
3 Terramorphic Expanse (fetchers help power the life-gainers)
3 Evolving Wilds
10 Plains
5 Swamp

Sideboard (still in progress)
3 Pithing Needle (Superfriends, manlands, etc.)
2 Suffer the Past (Vengevine, Dredge)
3 Kor Firewalker (not sure needed)
4 Duress (control)
1 Mind Shatter (control)
2 Dispeller's Capsule (Monument, ORing, Conscription)

Constructive comments welcome, but note that I'm mainly sharing this so others can have fun with it; I won't have very much time to work on it.

Kytep
runt9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems too much to rely on Nauseum. I like the deck, I just feel like it's based too much around one great card with support specifically for it rather than many good cards with moderate support for each of them.

Last edited by runt9 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
innovator320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone pithing needles your ad nas.................... ur dumb
enfinit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pithing needle = activated abilities. You got effed noob. lol.
Epic-Juzam37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would add blue for the man lands that interract with your colors
Kytep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runt9 wrote:
Seems too much to rely on Nauseum. I like the deck, I just feel like it's based too much around one great card with support specifically for it rather than many good cards with moderate support for each of them.

Nauseam isn't needed to win; only Martial Coup is (or man-lands, when I add them). nauseam is just an instant-speed Super Tidings to provide card advantage. Yes, Nauseam restricts my card choices, but most of the cards I include are pretty powerful and work well together (Path, Wall, Coup). But when I do hit a Nauseam, look out, because my life gain and card advantage will quickly take over.

End of your Turn 5 I Nauseam for about 10 cards. On my turn, I untap and either Shatter you for 4, or I cast a Rest or two to get 8 - 16 life, plus maybe a Path, Wall, or both. Next turn, I Coup for 5. And probably able to Coup again if I need to (I'll often Nauseam until I have 2 Coups).

Try it out; it's a pretty cool and surprisingly powerful deck. Hard to kill before it can Nauseam/Coup/Rest, and hard to stop from casting Nauseam in the first place due to Duress from side, Shatter, and instant speed.

Kytep
Kytep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic-Juzam37 wrote:
i would add blue for the man lands that interract with your colors

Not a bad idea; thanks. This deck's color requirements are pretty light, and I already have Terramorphics and Wilds. Could probably incorporate another color pretty easily. Blue could provide counters like Negate as well as the man-lands you menton, both of which would help vs. Thought Hemmorhage.

Thanks,
Kytep
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1