Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

abusing sun titan

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: abusing sun titan Reply with quote

4 Celestial Colonnade
5 Island
7 Plains
4 Glacial Fortress
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Arid Mesa

4 Sun Titan
4 Transcendent Master
4 Sea Gate Oracle
4 Sphinx of Lost Truths
4 Wall of Omens

2 Journey to Nowhere
4 Jace Beleren
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Day of Judgment
2 Marshal's Anthem

cards that may need a bit of explanation:
transcendent master: he's a beater and a threat to be dealt with, and he also costs 3. works well with sun titan.

sphinx of lost truths: serves several purposes in this deck. it draws me to the cards I need, helps me hit my last land drop, and it brings cards to the graveyard for sun titan to reanimate.

Marshal's anthem: Sun titans #5-6. if(when) a sun titan manages to die, bringing this out will instantly grant me a sun titan for the same cost. plus any incidental extra mana I have will grant me an additional creature, making it worth it to play.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

Out:
- Transcendent Master is not good in this meta. It costs way too much to level up in comparison to the amount of removal he's subject too.
- Journey to Nowhere is not needed, you already have enough creature removal, as well as Wall of Omens to protect you.

In:
- Gideon Jura and/or Elspeth, Knight-Errant should be added. You need more planeswalker power besides Jace Beleren. Maybe even Jace, the Mind Sculptor can find it's way in there.
- Path to Exile or Mana Leak should replace Journey to Nowhere.
- Oddly, this deck sounds good enough to try Planar Cleansing. It's a terrific card against Planeswalkers decks or other slower decks that you might come to face.
- Another card you can consider, in case aggro is a problem to you, is Lone Missionary.

Good luck with that deck. Mr. Green
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha... lone missionary is a great idea for anti-aggro, and planar cleansing sounds like a pretty neat niche effect. i'm thinking they'll make the sideboard.

and the thing about transcendent master is that I only start leveling him up when I have the option to. i'm not so worried about him dying either because of sun titan. what, as a 3cc beater, could replace him?

journey to nowhere is a nice way to get oblivion ring 5-6 for adding a free creature removal to sun titan. more often than not i'm discarding one of those spells to sphinx of lost truths, and sun titan becomes an extremely big and indiscriminate devout lightcaster.

also, this deck is one i'm intending to focus on once scars of mirroden rotate in, so journy would end up replacing oblivion ring in the list, and i'd probably want some kor sanctifier-ish effects to deal with possible artifact and enchantment threats.

but other than transcendent master which fills the finisher slot in the deck, path to exile sounds like a nice quick option. I realize that with sun titan and the fetches i'm not worried about the tempo advantage that i'm giving them because i'm gaining a lot of land if I want.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs more non-creature abuse. Sun titan brings ANY permanent CMC 3 or less back. Start brainstorming.
Trizzy60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcendent master is your finisher?

I'd figure a 6/6 vigilance card advantage machine was good enough...
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck does not really do anything until turn three. There has to be something that could speed up the deck. I would think that Spreading Seas would help a lot.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trizzy60 wrote:
Transcendent master is your finisher?

I'd figure a 6/6 vigilance card advantage machine was good enough...

sun titan dies to removal.

yes, it's a sucky argument usually, but if I rely on sun titan as my only win-con, I can be taken out easily by a careful opponent. when I have so many threats for them to deal with, thats when I get them. kinda like the russian strategy in WW1, except it's more effective.

R3wind wrote:
This deck does not really do anything until turn three. There has to be something that could speed up the deck. I would think that Spreading Seas would help a lot.

Wall of omens?

other than that, the only card I can think to effectively take out for seas is Sea Gate Oracle, and I prefer being able to dig further for key cards and having a body than a cantrip. I figure if manlands are a problem I can run tectonic edge which is QUITE sun titan abusable.

Ashmatan wrote:
needs more non-creature abuse. Sun titan brings ANY permanent CMC 3 or less back. Start brainstorming.

in UW, cards really worth anything that aren't creatures, under 3 cmc:
Oblivion ring
Journey to Nowhere
Totem Armor auras
armillary sphere (but why when I have fetches?)
Maybe: Ior Ruin Expedition
courier's capsule
expedition map

... yeah... utility lands and creatures is where it's at for sun titan as it is now.

basically, I have enough card draw, I don't need to search specific lands, and I already have the removal cards listed.

i'm thinking that if the deck is to get better, i'll have to wait for m11 to finish being spoiled, perhaps i'll get a few new toys.
UssyF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arch_raziel wrote:
I'd like to see you splash a tiny bit of red for ajani vengeant, he's 3cc and is much more threatening than Transcedant Master.

Since when has Ajani Vengeant cost 3? it's 2 colourless/W/R...
SidMeier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vengeant costs 4. both ajanis do.
bagina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aether adept ftw
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1