Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spreading Seas/Goblin Ruinblaster


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Author Message
Bande



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Spreading Seas/Goblin Ruinblaster Reply with quote

Player A enchants Player B's Creeping Tarpit with Spreading Seas making it an Island. Next turn, player A plays a kicked Goblin Ruinblaster and wants to target the enchanted land -- is that acceptable because the enchanted Island retains its non-basic land status or is it just a basic land Island and thus it is not destroyed?
Back to top
Jacois



Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 1201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a non basic land because Magic rules don't make any sense.
Back to top
Lynolf



Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 546

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
It's still a non basic land because Magic rules don't make any sense.


Quoted for truth.

It also means that yes, you can destroy the land.
Back to top
Tao



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 864

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a basic land because Speading Seas doesn't literally say it changes a land's supertype of being basic, just that it is now an Island.
Back to top
DARKING
Level 3 Judge


Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 256

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The land it's not basic. Adding a basic land type does not add the supertype basic. So, the land will be Land - Island only, and thus it can be the target of Goblin Ruinblaster ability.
Back to top
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 258

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
It's still a non basic land because Magic rules don't make any sense.


By this logic, Underground Sea should be a basic land
Back to top
Jacois



Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 1201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logic and intuition have no place in deciphering magic rules.
Back to top
zebo_88



Joined: 12 Sep 2005
Posts: 123
Location: Phyrexia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacois, hundreds of people have worked and still work to Magic rules, to cover every situation that could appear, in respect of those people please don't say that they make no sense..
Back to top
Jacois



Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 1201

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebo_88 wrote:
jacois, hundreds of people have worked and still work to Magic rules, to cover every situation that could appear, in respect of those people please don't say that they make no sense..


I disagree, I think there's about 3-4 main people who make the rules, and I don't understand why you're defending them against me when I'm clearly pointing out an obv flaw in the intuitiveness of the rules.

Just like to "play" something was confused with "casting" something, and the rules clarified with M10, turning something into one of the basic lands, should make it a basic land.

That's intuitive.
Back to top
dAEdaL
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes perfect sense.

A creeping pit of tar gets submerged as the sea level dramatically increases. This in no way changes the immutable fact that the creeping pit of tar is a creeping pit of tar.

It's just underwater now.
Back to top
orphan



Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic rules have to be complex due to the near infinite combination of cards that exist. the rules and the people who make them are really good considering the vast number of interactions that they have to deal with.

Sometimes (see often) you have to just throw logic out the window and just memorize a few (see a million) interactions. The rules work, you just need to know them as opposed to understand them.
Back to top
CrushU
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DARKING explained it best.

Ruinblaster will kill any Land that is not also Basic.

Creeping Tar Pit is a Land. Spreading Seas makes it a Land - Island. There is no Basic there, so Ruinblaster will blow it up.
Back to top
RDoom



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:

Just like to "play" something was confused with "casting" something, and the rules clarified with M10, turning something into one of the basic lands, should make it a basic land.

That's intuitive.


Just because a card is an Island, does not make it a basic land.

The card "Island" is a basic land only because it has the supertype basic on it.

"Moonring Island" is an Island and by your intuitiveness should be a basic land which is not intuitive since it is obviously not a basic island despite the fact that it has type Island on the card.
Back to top
Ggerg



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 632

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for further understanding, see a card like Allied Strategies which counts number of basic land types among lands you control. Note that if you control 4 underground seas and one basic island, you would draw 2 cards upon casting Allied Strategies, as you control lands with the basic land types of both "Swamp" and "Island."

also note that there are other land types that appear on nonbasic lands such as Darigaaz's Caldera and Cloudpost. Neither these lands, nor their land types are basic.

hope this helps
Back to top
Loop



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dAEdaL wrote:
This makes perfect sense.

A creeping pit of tar gets submerged as the sea level dramatically increases. This in no way changes the immutable fact that the creeping pit of tar is a creeping pit of tar.

It's just underwater now.


QFT
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy