Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Creatures Ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first creatures that come to my mind here are
Flametongue Kavu
Nekrataal
Man'o'War
and Uktabi Orangutan

Except for the first, there exist clearly superior creatures now, but Flametongue Kavu still remains. He's a killer.
[ms]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to keep in mind that for there time these cards were amazing(morphling,tog,flamtetongue) and not just throw a name like tarmogoyf out,its good of course but in retrospect i dont think goyf rocked the format nearly as hard as what tog did back in the day, my vote is tog, even if its not as effective these days. all round would be goyf though but yeah Smile i <3 lightning angel xD
Sprouts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloodbraid elf is broken
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprouts wrote:
bloodbraid elf is broken

Not as broken as Bloodbraid Elf > Goyf!
Rath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmogoyf is clearly the winner, but Masticore deserves a mention.
Steveman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goblin Welder
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ms] wrote:
you have to keep in mind that for there time these cards were amazing(morphling,tog,flamtetongue) and not just throw a name like tarmogoyf out,its good of course but in retrospect i dont think goyf rocked the format nearly as hard as what tog did back in the day, my vote is tog, even if its not as effective these days. all round would be goyf though but yeah Smile i <3 lightning angel xD

goyf single handedly changed legacy by itself, something which has never really happened by one card before, it was pretty much a 4 deck format before goyf and now its completely different
bagina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1996 world champion
kumagmd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight of the Reliquary. It's an almost auto-include in any deck with Tarmogoyf (and Dark confidant!). And it does what Goyf and Confidant both do, do card advantage and... more card advantage. But that's only for tournaments. Goyf + KoTR + Confidant = frickin' insane.

But for pure awesomeness, Elvish Ranger, portal print. RAWR AT THE BOD!

Scute Mob rules.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Goat. Hands down.
JBryak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took a look at the top 8 decks at last years T1 world championship, and here is what I discovered:

12 Dark Confidants
8 Tarmogoyfs
6 Goblin Welders

So based on this limited research I will come to the conclusion that since dark confidant seems to be getting the most play in vintage that it must be the best creature, with tarmogoyf and goblin welder a close 2d and 3d.
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBryak wrote:
Well, I took a look at the top 8 decks at last years T1 world championship, and here is what I discovered:

12 Dark Confidants
8 Tarmogoyfs
6 Goblin Welders

So based on this limited research I will come to the conclusion that since dark confidant seems to be getting the most play in vintage that it must be the best creature, with tarmogoyf and goblin welder a close 2d and 3d.

ya base the best creature on a format with the least creature involvement
JBryak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to gypsy:

Yes, i think the creatures that see the most play in T1 is a fair way to determine what are the "best" creatures (although the term "best" is relative and situational of course) even though creatures see the least play in vintage than any format.

The reason creatures see so little play in vintage is because over the history of the game creatures have not been nearly as powerful/broken as most of the other card types (especially artifacts). (WOTC has only recently begun to remedy this problem by making creatures more powerful comparatively.) Therefore it takes a truly spectacular, broken, cream of the crop creature to make it into a vintage deck. That is why I believed the vintage world championship decklists was an appropriate starting point to determine what the best creatures are.

Also, you criticize my method but put forth no alternative of your own. What method would you use to determine the best creatures?

That is my opinion for what it is worth. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmogoyf
Dark Confidant
Arcbound Ravager
Psychatog

Easily the top 4 best creatures ever printed. Nothing from before Odyssey is that great in terms of power level. Only in the newer sets have we seen an explosion of excellent cards.

The four cards listed above are format warping. Confidant has given black a powerful new source of card advantage and made Zoo lists, Thepths, and has a strong use in Legacy and Vintage. Arcbound Ravager raped Mirrodin block, and the Standard circuit while it was still legal. Affinity remained a monster even in Extended. TogUpheaval was an extremely successful deck that used a control decks most powerful resources. Tog exploits a control decks most abundant resources to win, its hand, and its graveyard, with excellent synergy. It was a powerful card that had a good run.

Hands down the most played and used card in all the mentions by people is Tarmogoyf. Is that a coincidence? No! He makes Blue decks run a 5 turn clock. He makes any zoo deck run a HUGEly efficient beater. Land, instant, creature, sorcery usually hit the grave very quickly. This makes for a 1G 4/5 beater. It was the first card in standard/extended to break $60. It is a universally powerful card that redefined Legacy, Extended, and Standard. Good luck topping that.
jakeywakey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody gonna say narcomoeba?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3