Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended Tournament Rules Change!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
badasssmurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there going to be an update to Magic Workstation, or is there an easy way to change the built-in filters?
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaesh wrote:
darkwizard42 wrote:
As it rotates in less than a few months...Tarmogoyf is effectively useless.

yeah, just a pro tour left to play with it...

Yeah, a tournament with 200 players... Even if all played 4 Goyfs, there are way more than 800 goyfs in the world. So goyf is effectively useless.
SJM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A terrific change!

As someone that periodically quits the game, I know virtually nothing of the sets between Onslaught block and Alara block.

7 years is simply too vast a card pool.

The real obstacle is price*. Mono-red burn was far more popular than it should have been in extended this season because nobody could afford to play anything else.

This will invite many, many players into the Extended format and make it more than a "dead zone" of the PTQ season for those of us that only played limited and standard currently.

I've never played an extended match in my life, but I suspect that will change next season due to this format change.

*Of course with current mythic rare prices standard's cost of entry has gotten completely out of control as well.
SJM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically they have statistics demonstrating what most of us have known all along - extended was the least popular format in Magic and nobody played it except when they were FORCED to during its PTQ season.

Good riddance, I'm tired of quitting Magic between January and April every year. This new extended "double standard" is something I'll at least be willing to play.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizards is all about new players
you dont attract new players by having a format where you need older cards. If you're 18 and graduating HS, that means you would have needed to be playing when you were 11!
Extended was for the old dogs, like me. The loyal magic players that have been playing for Xteen years and that havent been playing long enough to have the power cards of legacy. which leaves us with T2 and Ext. to choose from. Cutting these sets now does nothing for legacy, it just chokes the card pool for ext. Personally, I dont have a problem with the changes as far as cards go, but I liked having the advantage of having the cards to play any extended deck I wanted. Which is why it is the least played format. And why newer players got frustrated when their T2 decks just cant hold up to ext. decks. Given the fact that Wizards is all about new players, it is all but clear why they did this: SO STANDARD DECKS AND (EXT)?* DECKS COULD BE MORE COMPETETIVE AGAINST EACH OTHER I.E.: NEWER PLAYERS COULD COMPETE IN AN (EXT)?* TOURNEY WITH A T2 DECK AND HAVE A CHANCE.

I for one, am sad to see the changes so soon. Extended was my favorite format cuz of the length of time I've had invested in playing magic. As for you people who wanted to play, ext. but couldn't get/afford/whatever the cards: it happens to all new players. When I started, real duals were in extended, so how did you think I felt when I found out the hard way that I couldnt compete? JUST LIKE YOU DID. But Wizards caters to you newbies like babies, obv. with this announcement. Oh yeah, they also just shit on the whole card stock market by doing this. If I were a shop that sold a lot of singles, I'd be PISSED. Upon announcement, Dark Depth's value dropped 70%. Upon announcement of the reprinting of BSA, its value dropped 70% These little decisions they are making are adversely affecting the market. Those that have the cards are pissed cuz they can't get rid of them for as much now, and people that don't have the cards are happy cuz they can now get them cheaper. I guess there is no happy medium. Unless--
the pre-release card for M11 is BSA Smile
gluedman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so can this pleaase be the format for the extended trials starting now.

another chance for magic league to be ahead of a new metagame
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arch_raziel wrote:
TugaChampion wrote:
Kaesh wrote:
darkwizard42 wrote:
As it rotates in less than a few months...Tarmogoyf is effectively useless.

yeah, just a pro tour left to play with it...

Yeah, a tournament with 200 players... Even if all played 4 Goyfs, there are way more than 800 goyfs in the world. So goyf is effectively useless.
QQ much? Some players don't have the money to go buying all sorts of older cards that they didn't have lying around (like say... me!). This new extended seems like they're setting up to have the ExtendedPlus come out, because it increases the overlap in the cardpool for those two formats.

It also means that players who are newer to magic don't have to spend as much money or time buying older cards and learning what they do, etc. I remember the first times I tried playing extended with friends, I had some Timespiral stuff, and some lorwyn stuff (timespiral just shifted out of standard), and got totally blown out by cards from older sets, and it just felt very unfair that to be competitive even in casual extended, I would have to go and spend money on cards that I would only ever be able to use in extended, and that THOSE cards wouldn't hold up in older formats like Legacy, so then to be able to play THAT I'd have to go get even MORE cards, and many I would hardly use. I was fifteen at the time, had no job, and my mom didn't make a ton of money, so I really didn't have much ability to get all these cards. The new format means that there's fewer cross-set hugely powerful combos (DDepths//Hexmage, for example), and newer players can get into it easier.

I think that by screwing over a lot of the old format, players are just bitchy because they have to start thinking again, it's not a set meta. (Oh no! Not THINKING!! CURSE YOU WIZARDS!!!) Boo freaking hoo. Quit magic if you care that much. I doubt you will, so stfu and enjoy what Wizards have done, by giving a fresh new environment for creativity.

This new change has caused me to revisit a lot of old ideas I tried out over the past year or so that simply couldn't hold up against things like thepths and whatnot. I'm currently working on a janky dredge-style variant that combines grixis unearth, madness, flashback, and other forms of grave recursion that I think will do fun things.

In short, spend less time bitching, and more time enjoying the great game known as "magic: the gathering". If you don't feel you can do that, then quit. I doubt many will miss you in a year.

Standard decks are more expensive than old extended decks. Dark Depths was the most expensive deck in extended and in mtgo it costed around 500 tix. NLB in mtgo costs around 1000 tix. Not only that but standard cards get useless much more often. But obv it's to help the new players...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2