Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help an old school player trying to get back into the game.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than 60 is "legal", but far from optimal. But yeah, you probably faced a jackass. Some people want a more serious game, and having a 77-card is far from that.

As far as running into nice, friendly people who won't berate you: good luck.
maurih

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have more than 60 cards the probability of the cards draw is low so is really bad play with more than 60... you know it i think

and many people in MWS think that be a troll is nice Very Happy
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has changed in gaming since those days. I was playing back even before that myself.

Basically, google what has become colloquially known as "tourney fags." These are people that are hyper competitive and the only "fun" they derive from games they play is the thrill of victory.

A lot (most) of the players on Magic-League fall into that "tourney fag" category. I used to play random sealed deck formats on apprentice for hours and hours with a player named "ChubToad" on IRC (not Magic-League, another league that is gone now) back around 2001 and had a great time doing it. I've never been able to find anyone on Magic League willing to play casual formats like that just for fun.

Tourney fags have always been around. They are mostly hormonal teens and young adult males with too much testosterone flowing through their veins.

Rest assured, though, that there are far more players playing Magic "just for fun" than there are serious competitive players. I suggest you find a local gaming store to play at and look into a format known as "Elder Dragon Highlander", a very popular casual format that I absolutely love.

What most players on Magic League want is testing against known tier 1 decks in whatever the current tournament (PTQ) format is.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you write "T2 Casual" when you create a game on MWS, you shouldn't be bothered by people who feels like flaming you for playing 77 cards in your deck. You not knowing that decks tend to be 60 cards calls you out as a "noob" though, but since that is so obvious there is no need to say it - and the guy flaming you completed what is called a "phail" doing so, which is worse.

Good players don't need to point out that other players are not so good. Doing so reveals nothing but noobiness. The worst thing I know is players doing a mistake and when I point it out call me a noob and ragequit.

Like when the opponent finally got off a Emrakul with a Polymorph (I saw that coming so I had played a Jace the turn before), he probably thought "yeeeaeeah win lol lol!!!11". Coming my turn I simply bounced it back with Jace, and what followed was "he got PRO noob" and a ragequit before I had the time to explain stuff to him.

That was annoying. The morale here is that ragequitters are noobs. They can be annoying but you'll learn to cope with them if you play MWS.

NB: ok even more annoying are players who join a game stating "T2 testing" and then ruleslawyer their way to glory.

NBNB: Not to mention the ridiculous use of phases that many players require. I don't use phases unless necessary. That's because I don't need crutches when playing magic. The comical thing is that it is just as difficult to get to play something in their upkeep or draw phase, or in response to their attack phase if they use phases as if they don't - they just press the phases in order to spam the message window then... And what's with the "assign a new draw phase for each draw off Howling Mines"??? Many players do that and it is utterly pointless!

/rant
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1