Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap Decks: they can work?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
maurih

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cheap Decks: they can work? Reply with quote

I was reading an article of the cost of the actual T2 and I thought "Cheap Decks can work or magic now is just the $$$ you have?"

answer and explain your point of view Confused
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...and here is why

If you are playing Red - you need to afford Fetches
If you are playing White - you need Gideon + Elspeth
If you are playing Blue - you need Jace the Mind Sculptor
If you are playing Green - you need Noble Hierarch and/or Lotus Cobra and/or Birds of Paradise
If you are playing Black - you need Nocturnus, fetches, and a number of rare vampires, which aren't really that good anyway.

Basically you have entered into an era of T2 where not only are nonbasic manabases extremely powerful, but extremely powerful mythic rares dictate the strength of your deck.

UWr walkers, UW control, Mythic Bant, Jund, and RDW all have prices that have a minimum investment of $150.

If you want the cheapest best deck from that list, look into Jund or RDW, which surprisingly have not been destroyed by the Mythic rarity and price increase.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Deck

60 cards

4 Dread Statuary
8 Forest
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Tectonic Edge
4 Verdant Catacombs

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 lands

4 Arbor Elf
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Kozilek's Predator
4 Lodestone Golem
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Nest Invader
3 River Boa
4 Vengevine
1 Wolfbriar Elemental

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
32 creatures 4 Eldrazi Monument

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 other spells

Sideboard

3 Consuming Vapors
1 Island
2 Prophetic Prism
4 Smother
1 Swamp
4 Unified Will

15 sideboard

This is Yuuya Watanabe's Block Constructed Mono-green Monument. Take out the Vengevines and Cobras, fetchlands, and it's pretty cheap! Replace Vengevines with Leatherback Baloth, Cobra with... I dunno, some 2 casting beatdown dude like the 2/2 leveler? and it'll still kick a55
maurih

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget to write another question about the netdeck... I don't see much criativity in the players too, some players just open the deckcheck and copy the champion deck to play the regionals...

I think I'm become very boring about magic...

In really I can't play any regional because i will need $300~500 deck
and I don't have this $$$ to pay and the mythics cards are fucking the economy of T2
enfinit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap dark wizard did simple effective non ass post! Holy crap and it actually 100% on the money. Good game sir good game!
maurih

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
21 [ZEN] Mountain (2a)

// Creatures
4 [CFX] Hellspark Elemental
4 [ROE] Kiln Fiend
4 [ROE] Goblin Arsonist
4 [WWK] Cunning Sparkmage

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
4 [ZEN] Punishing Fire
4 [ROE] Staggershock
4 [WWK] Searing Blaze
2 [ZEN] Elemental Appeal
4 [CFX] Quenchable Fire
2 [WWK] Roiling Terrain

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [M10] Dragon's Claw
SB: 3 [ROE] Grotag Siege-Runner
SB: 2 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 4 [CFX] Volcanic Fallout
SB: 3 [ZEN] Demolish

just shit, but i think this can bring some fun... for the jund, mythics, and other decks
thranarama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so "budget" decks aren't necessarily viable. But I don't know how you can argue that Standard has a problem because you have to put down some investment on any deck you play. The nature of competitive Magic is that you put down an investment with the hopes that you will have it returned in prizes and not paying for a plane ticket or whatever. I can't necessarily build all of the decks in Standard right now, but I either find a way around it or I borrow cards from my friends. Also, many of the more expensive cards are good investments anyway because they will still be useful after they rotate out of Standard.
maurih

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think T2 is a investiment... some of the cars that play very well in the T2 just don't see game in the T1.X and T1.5, investiment is buy a set of fow or dual lands

how much decks in the extended plays with the planeswalkers?
and in the legacy?

MAgic was supposed to be a game to show your criativity and not your money... and I know much of the gamers that play with expensive cards are good players, but much are just rich
proxie404

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maurih
Posted: 04 Jun 2010 14:16 Post subject:
I don't think T2 is a investiment... some of the cars that play very well in the T2 just don't see game in the T1.X and T1.5, investiment is buy a set of fow or dual lands

and in the legacy?

MAgic was supposed to be a game to show your criativity and not your money... and I know much of the gamers that play with expensive cards are good players, but much are just rich

dude wizard are not making the price they are selling boster pack single card are based on the demande that it always works and will didnt u play T2 deck in the last 5 years mirodin .... ravager mox ...... kami.... all the dual land ........ ect and if u dont got much money find aways like i did and make awesome looking proxy that no one will see the diference i play them at gp many time no one ever see the diference work hard BITCH
maurih

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm only want to discuss if tou don't accept this critics to your beloved wizards fuck off man, i'm just telling what I think

I just think that pay in a card, for example in my country $50 for each jace(if you can find any for this price some people are paying $75), fuck many of the players that like the format, I love magic but I have other things to buy and pay, I can't pay $500 each year for a deck to play T2

and I work to make a strong deck with no money, but it's very hard very very hard
proxie404

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurningStarV bravo!
maurih

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurningStarV wrote:
maurih wrote:

and in the legacy?

Here's where you are wrong.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is in a fair amount of Extended (Thopter-depths, Bant, Grixis, Faeries) and Legacy (Landstill, Bant) decks. This card honestly deserves a 40-50$+ price tag.

Elspeth is often in Zoo sideboards in Extended. Not worth the current price, but it is in the new duel decks, so the price will eventually be capped at near 12$ rather than 30$.

The 5 new fetch-lands are necessary in both as well, as decks often run more fetches than dual lands. They are also around for another 15 months. These versions are in fact cheaper than the Onslaught versions were when they were T2 and Extended legal.

Plus, most of us win many packs with our initial investments and trade the excess stock from older current sets for newer current sets before the rotations. It isn't common for established players to just throw down 200$ from their bank account to afford the new stuff. It generally involves winning packs, store credit, and trading. I feel sorry for the new players who start off by buying a UW deck rather than drafting or trading for most of the cards for it as the sets come out.

And on deck originality and construction: Most of the professional events yield decks which have been tested, tweaked, and proven to be effective archetypes. This amount of testing put in by professional players in invaluable to those of us who have lives and work on a general 9-5 basis.
Sure, I suppose I could Modo or play on M-L for 20 hours a week, testing a plethora of rogue and established decks, but I would rather read a few articles, look over some tournament results, or talk to other players, and then do something more creative with my time than grinding to find the right deck to play for FNM, PTQs or Nationals.

yeah I think I be wrong in many of my opinions, but the decks with the exception of the fetchs play with one or two planeswalker... I don't think cards like baneslayer will play in the extended, some people can shut up my mouth, but I really thin many of the players just deckcheck the decks... in my country i see it, in the reports of players who play nats and regionals... the told in the reports that the list don't belong to him...

And I said that I know many of the players have criativity, bur look at the top 8 deck of any regionals you will see the same decks... it's a fact...

but i respect your opinion you are very right in many points that I can't answer Very Happy

thx for the opinion
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to do anything other than playtest < creativity
kaamos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rares that are entirely better numerically than set commons need to be less than 25% in comparison to applicable commons, otherwise every deck in standard will have enough room to fit good rares and good commons to edge out the cheep decks.

And as far as I am concerned, rare lands shouldnt be rare, ever.
Spending money to get cards that have no fun play are cheating customers who want to play competitively.
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal players, especially young kids from non-wealthy families, have been officially priced out of the game by WOTC.

WOTC is only interested in gouging 22-35 year old virgin nerds such as myself that have lots of disposable income.

They've turned standard into something cheap and whoreish. You really can buy "skill" now.

Play peasant magic, limited, or EDH if you want to have fun on a budget. All constructed formats are too expensive right now to justify spending the money unless you are literally a millionaire.

Legacy? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Extended? $$$$$$$$$$$$
Standard? $$$$$$$$$$
Limited? $$$$
EDH? $$$$$
Peasant Magic? $$
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2