Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sphinx-Bone Wand.dec

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
Obnoxide

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Sphinx-Bone Wand.dec Reply with quote

Extended Format

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [ZEN] Island (2a)
2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
3 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
4 [GP] Steam Vents
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
3 [WWK] Halimar Depths
3 [TSP] Calciform Pools

// Creatures
4 [DS] Coretapper

// Spells
3 [FUT] Arc Blade
2 [ROE] Sphinx-Bone Wand
3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [MR] Fabricate
4 [TSP] Ancestral Vision
4 [M10] Earthquake
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [CFX] Unsummon

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
SB: 1 [ROE] Sphinx-Bone Wand
SB: 2 [8E] Bribery
SB: 3 [ROE] Deprive
SB: 2 [MOR] Negate
SB: 3 [ARB] Meddling Mage
SB: 3 [10E] Wrath of God

Alright, I know that there are alot better spells to put in this guy. I'm not sure what this deck needs, and being newer to the older set formats (and being ignorant on staple cards in blue and red), I wanted to get some ideas on how to make this deck work a little bit better.

Coretapper is awesome, being able to throw charge counters on either SBW or the chalice, its a good staple in this deck.

Arc Blade is cool because it comes back every three turns. However, im still indecisive on whether i should be playing staggershock + surreal memoir.

Everflowing Chalice, this deck is built around a 7cc card so ramp is definately needed to get it out faster.

SBW, the card we built around. Obviously you need this card to work the deck around.

Unsummon, cheap card to hold them back for maybe a turn, thinking about switching it for regress.

Cryptic Command, basically one of the best cards in blue.. Staple blue card for sure.
Jace is also the same way. It's a staple.

Earthquake, because everyone could use a bit of mass removal.

So I know this deck isn't good enough to be played in any kind of tournament (yet?) and I don't expect it to ever be. However, I saw SBW and had a yearning to make this card see some type of play. If anyone knows any cards that might be useful at all to this deck please post them. If you think something doesn't belong just let me know. If you think this deck is a PoS and there is nothing that will ever make it any better, then just move on to the next thread. All constructive criticism welcome!!
Sprouts

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem i see is that Sphinx-Bone Wand is one of the worst cards ever printed. Sorry i dont like this type of comment but its true.
Obnoxide

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said, I put this in casual for that simple reason. You wouldn't play this deck in a tournament. Usually if you had coretapper out before SBW, it was because you are putting counters on the Chalice. The thing about having the suspend spells is because I can cast them before SBW is out and play SBW before they go off. About not having direct burn spells, its because if they are beating you down with creatures, SBW can target them, so sure you need to play more spells to kill your opp, you can buy yourself time by playing spells to kill his creatures.

Ponder is a good replacement for ancestral, I'll replace it.

Sprouts, your right it is a terrible card (for now). However, in a casual format, its ok to play cards that are bad, as long as you have fun playing it.
Obnoxide

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [WWK] Halimar Depths
2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
11 [ZEN] Island (1a)

// Creatures
4 [DS] Coretapper

// Spells
2 [FD] Pentad Prism
2 [MR] Altar of Shadows
3 [FD] Energy Chamber
3 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
3 [MR] Fabricate
4 [8E] Inspiration
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [M10] Time Warp
4 [ROE] Sphinx-Bone Wand
4 [MOR] Negate

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [MR] Sun Droplet
SB: 3 [CS] Rune Snag
SB: 3 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 3 [CFX] Telemin Performance
SB: 2 [FD] Pentad Prism

Here is an updated decklist.

Completely reworked the deck. Mostly just combos off of charge counters.

Everflowing, Pentad Prism and Altar of Shadows for mana ramp.

Coretapper and Energy Chamber to add counters to all the artifacts that use them.

Inspiration, because instant speed draw helps win the game when the SBW is out.

Basically, get SBW as fast as possible by adding counters to the mana artifacts. Once its out, its pretty easy to just throw a bunch of counters on SBW using timewarp and the pumper artifacts. Then go for the win by any of the draw or counter spells. You can even cast a draw spell, and counter your draw in order to win the game. This version is MUCH more efficient than the other. No need for burn because you can control the beatdown with cryptic, and if its too fast, then just side in the sun droplets for lifegain.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1