Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Turbofog viable in current metagame ?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Is Turbofog viable in current metagame ?
Yes certainly
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
No way, it's owned by any Eldrazi legend
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

pipet

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer, TurboFog its not viable now

emrakul kill all game plan, even after side, its hard to deal with it even maindecking grave hate.

And if FOG somehow makes its cut, then more and more player will start siding in a single copy of emrakul, add some pithing needles to the mix and again you have some unwinable matches... so, no turbofog unless your meta has no emrakul.
doublegg

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipet wrote:
Simple answer, TurboFog its not viable now

emrakul kill all game plan, even after side, its hard to deal with it even maindecking grave hate.

And if FOG somehow makes its cut, then more and more player will start siding in a single copy of emrakul, add some pithing needles to the mix and again you have some unwinable matches... so, no turbofog unless your meta has no emrakul.

Relic of Progenitus deals with it, it is that simple. So I wouldn't say it is not viable. It still hoses uw and uwr so as long as those are among the best decks in the format it is a decent choice.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play the time sieve version actually. It really does rock, but the problem is that it has absolutely no game against polymorph into iona, plain and simple, and there aren't any sb options i can think of to stop her.
doublegg

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aqualad33 wrote:
I used to play the time sieve version actually. It really does rock, but the problem is that it has absolutely no game against polymorph into iona, plain and simple, and there aren't any sb options i can think of to stop her.

Executioner's Capsule seems good, it also kills Emrakul if that was polymorphed into.
kaoak

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem about time sieve is not iona... is more about bant. cause a quick lotus cobra play leaves you naked
MikeL123

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relic of Progenitus works, as does Sadistic Sacrament.

Also, nothing's stopping you from playing your own Emrakul or two Smile

Bojuka Bog and Deprive can help remove an opponent's graveyard if you mill 10-15 cards without an Emrakul.
silver_spawn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I piloted this deck at the last Master tournament and finished 3-1-1-Drop. So I felt like I have to share my thought process over it.
Before the Master I wanted to play something different from the top tier decks and I wanted to beat them also. Turbo Fog is as a deck with a great machup against UW/UWr and decent against Jund. I knew I would lost to anything with Emrakul in it and because of that I was on my way to drop the deck. Then I thought: "It's 6 rounds of Swiss and probably 50% of the field would be Jund and UW. This leaves another 50% for the Polymorphs, Summoning Traps and all the other decks. So it's like lottery only except the chances are I will face about 2 Emrakul-decks and I will win the other maches." That's exactly what happened. Second round I lost to Brilliant Ultimatum Control and 5-th round i drew and dropped against Jund with 4 Emrakuls and 4 Summoning Traps sideboard (!?!).
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Emrakul is really a problem for you run more O-Rings and in teh sideboard use telemin performance iand counters to stop them getting thier own out. and jace the mindsculptor helps as well against him.

Obviously you dont want to dedicate your whole board to one card but there are ways dealing with it on turn 3 and 4. but I still think turbofog isnt gonna be any good for a while.

I think summoning trap is gonna be retarded in this format
Edowardo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raybelfast wrote:
If Emrakul is really a problem for you run more O-Rings and in teh sideboard use telemin performance iand counters to stop them getting thier own out. and jace the mindsculptor helps as well against him.

Obviously you dont want to dedicate your whole board to one card but there are ways dealing with it on turn 3 and 4. but I still think turbofog isnt gonna be any good for a while.

I think summoning trap is gonna be retarded in this format

He's a problem not because they cast him but because he replenishes their deck when your trying to mill them.
silver_spawn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surely made some mistakes in deckbuilding before the tournament. Gideon for example was useless most of the time. I cast it only once and when it doesn't matter anyway. Then I spent a long long time thinking on how to beat Eldrazi decks (Polymorph especially). And I figure it out.

Telemin Performance - since I have no access to Sadistic Sacrament or Thought Hemmorhage, why not play "Polymorph-effect" on my own. When it hits a Polymorph opponent two things can happen:
1) You reveal Iona naming blue and you win.
2) You reveal Emrakul and it doesn't matter if he morphs into Iona afterwards.
This scenarios are only possible if there is no Jace, the Mindsculptor alredy in play but with 4 copies of your 3-mana Jaces, its less likely.

So here are the changes I made:

+2 Telemin Performance
-1 Gideon
-1 O-Ring
Why mainboard? Why not? Five mana spell which puts a creature on your side of the table and mills them in the process not bad at its own. Also consider it a win condition against oterwise unwinnable Polymorph and you have a deal.

+4 Spreading Seas
-4 Wall of Omens
Wall of Omens is better against RDW, decks with Telemin Performance and random aggro decks. Spreading Seas is better against Jund (stalling their Maelstrom Pulses), UW/Uwr, Grixis, etc. This change depends on the metta really.

-1 Archive Trap
+1 Emrakul
The purpose of Archive Trap in this deck is to ensure that even after casting a few Time Warps you wont mill yourself before your opponent. Emrakul does the same job exceopt that you will never mill yourself + its alternative win condition once you hit 15 mana (not an imposiible scenario). Emrakul alo ensures that if you face a deck with Emrakul in it, you may continue playing and hope to hit the legendary eldrazy first (either your own or one with Telemin Performance).

After I remade the sideboard adding more countermagic against Polymorph, here what I got:

// Lands
8 [ZEN] Island (1)
6 [ZEN] Plains (1)
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [ZEN] Sejiri Refuge

// Creatures
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

// Spells
4 [M10] Howling Mine
2 [M10] Negate
4 [M10] Jace Beleren
4 [M10] Time Warp
3 [M10] Safe Passage
3 [M10] Silence
4 [ALA] Angelsong
4 [CFX] Font of Mythos
2 [CFX] Telemin Performance
4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
1 [ALA] Oblivion Ring

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M10] Negate
SB: 3 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [ARB] Wall of Denial
SB: 3 [WWK] Rest for the Weary
SB: 2 [CFX] Telemin Performance
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1