Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brilliant Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Brilliant Control Reply with quote

In case you haven't heard, there was this crazy deck which topdecked in TCGplayer 5k in Boston abusing Brilliant Ultimatum and its interaction with Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

His list, for reference:
http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=581007

Anyhow, i needed opinion as far as that deck goes. I am now playing this deck in MWS and made some changes to it.

Mainboard:
I took out a Liliana Vess to put the deck down to 60 cards. I also replaced 4 Ponder for 4 See Beyond, because there were many times where i had an Emrakul stuck in my hand, and See Beyond helped me with it.
I also took out 2 Glacial Fortress for 2 Celestial Colonnade, since they are very capable of ending a game fast.

Sideboard:
Took the 4 Kor Firewalker for 4 Wall of Denial. I found Kor Firewalker to be too "hated". Against Jund, i would play it, only to see it being Pulsed/Deathmarked/Doom Bladed. Same thing with RbDW and RwDW.
I also decided cutting the Kor Sanctifiers for Oblivion Rings.

Here is the decklist i'mplanning to play at FNM.

4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Marsh Flats
4 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Celestial Colonnade
2 Glacial Fortress
3 Island
3 Swamp
3 Plains

4 Wall of Omens
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Spreading Seas
4 See Beyond
4 Esper Charm
4 Jace, MS
4 Brilliant Ultimatum
3 Day of Judgment
1 Path to Exile
1 Smother
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Liliana Vess
1 Gideon Jura

SIDEBOARD:
4 Negate
4 Wall of Denial
2 Celestial Purge
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Duress
1 Doom Blade
1 Identity Crisis

What do you think about the changes?

Please Comment.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liliana Vess is one of the cards you don't want to take out, because it helps you against the control mirror, helps you find Brilliant Ultimatum, and can search an Emrakul, the Aeons Torn when you have it in your hand. I would take Elspeth, Knight-Errant instead. The rest seems ok. I don't know how the matchup against red is, but I wouldn't discard the Kor Firewalkers so soon. Mr. Green
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against RDW, Kor Firewalker might be better, but Wall of Denial is A LOT more solid. Most of RDW decks splash White(Path) or Black (Deathmark, Doom Blade) to deal with Firewalker.

That's the main reason why i'm playing WoD.
six
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[16:27] <&los_seis> <cmc> lucker
[16:27] <&los_seis> <cmc> lucker
[16:27] <+cmc> 1 [ROE] Cast Through Time
[16:28] <~Kaesh> f u
[16:28] <~Kaesh> noob
[16:28] <+cmc> jugador perdido
[16:28] <~Kaesh> Jugador Perdido
[16:28] <~Kaesh> yesssssssssssss
[16:28] <&los_seis> ;;;;;;;;;;;[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
[16:28] <+cmc> <&los_seis> \o/
[16:28] <&los_seis> ;;;;;;;;;;;[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
[16:28] <+cmc> <&los_seis> ;[
Drayen

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with six
loki3

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deck idea. I think it needs better ways to survive/be more powerful.

My opinion:

Cut 4 Ponder and one other card (Emrakulx1?). Ponder is nice for fixing/combo adjusting/Jace manipulation, but just play the right lands and you should be fine. Put in 2 more Gideon, 1 more Elspeth, another O-ring, and one more Path.

The deck is absolutely worthless if it can't survive to the late game. Brilliant Ultimatum and Emrakul are cool, and are nice even on their own, but I wouldn't be opposed to minimalizing their influences and making this more like UW Control.

Compared to UW/UWr decks, I think the slots for the combo really hurt the matchup with aggro decks and Jund. Especially because the main staple addition from UW(r) seems to be Ponder. Which is really weak compared to 3-4 O-Rings, 3 more (4 total) PtE, and 2 Coups. (both run DoJ)

Cheers
~Loki3
loki3

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki3 wrote:
I like the deck idea. I think it needs better ways to survive/be more powerful.

My opinion:

Cut 4 Ponder and one Emrakul and one one other card from the original list (6 total). Ponder is nice for fixing/combo adjusting/Jace manipulation, but just play the right lands and you should be fine. Add in 5: 2 more Gideon, 1 more Elspeth, an O-ring, and one more Path. makes 60

The deck is absolutely worthless if it can't survive to the late game. Brilliant Ultimatum and Emrakul are cool, and are nice even on their own, but I wouldn't be opposed to minimalizing their influences and making this more like UW Control.

Compared to UW/UWr decks, I think the slots for the combo really hurt the matchup with aggro decks and Jund. Especially because the main staple addition from UW(r) seems to be Ponder. Which is really weak compared to 3-4 O-Rings, 3 more (4 total) PtE, and 2 Coups. (both run DoJ)

Cheers
~Loki3
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1