Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UWr Peace and Quiet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Ajani in here. I'm not even sure I'm a fan of Jace, as a 4-of in the main.

Everflowing Chalice seems like a must-have to me.

I don't think you really need Twincast. Twincasting a Time Warp probably feels good, I know it plays a role in my masturbatory fantasies, but it takes a lot of mana at the right time. And Twincasting Runeflare Trap is just excessive. Runeflare costs R and should hit for 7-10 each time you cast it. You'll very easily get through a couple of them as your Howling Mine and Font of Mythos get you to burn through your deck.

I say drop Ajani, Twincast, and Runeflare Trap, and go with Archive Trap and some other cool effects instead (Jace 1.0, Angelsong, etc).
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why only let your opponent play an Emrakul?

Put one in your own deck, as well as a Bojuka Bog or two, and two Archive Traps. If you can Bojuka even 5 of their cards away, when they're in a grave before they mill/discard an Emrakul, that's probably enough to deck them if things are going well for you. Remember, they draw from Howling Mine and Font of Mythos before you. All things being equal, they're going to deck themselves before you even without Archive Trap or a Jace ability.

In this case, I'd keep Time Warp and Twincast, to ramp up mana, and give another win condition: getting to 15 mana before them and just hard-casting Emrakul for the win.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'll get there eventually, even if they have 4 of them. With Deprive, a Bog, and your own Emrakul, you can slowly whittle down their deck. There's also Sadistic Sacrament. But, it seems like we're coming up with a lot of ways to accomplish something that three Runeflare Traps and RRR can accomplish (namely, winning).

I would definitely suggest playing 1 of your own Emrakul's though.

The reason I am against the planeswalker ultimate plan is... because I just played against deck with 4 Howling Mine's and 4 Font of Mythos last night. And games went very very quickly. I actually had my own Ajani out, and I was doing my damnedest to to hit 7 counters and destroy his lands and try to give myself a couple attack phases before I decked myself, but I never got there. I was drawing 7 cards a turn - the game ends VERY quickly when that is the case!

Anyways, the plus of the Archive Trap plan is, if your opponent is not running a legendary Eldrazi, it just takes one Archive Trap to seal things, and it works very quickly. If they are running a legendary Eldrazi, the Runeflare path is probably better.

Also, for what it's worth, I think 1UU Jace may be better than 2UU Jace in this type of deck, since it becomes Howling Mine 5-8, which is critically important.
CloaknDagger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nevermind*
MikeL123

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested a couple versions of this. I like the Runeflare plan a lot more than Archive Trap, so far. It's just so explosive... you can win with two of them, or one and a Twincast, quite often in otherwise dire circumstances.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ripped the archive traps too. I'm having a tough time beating jund, DoJ is almost useless sometimes.
Btw i feel like the manabase is wanky.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the runeflare trap deck is it just gets rapped after sideboarding by every deck, so many problem cards and it even speeds your opponent along the way to drawing them.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use Silence, I made more of a UR version.

I like Reality Spasm a lot. It's so useful, usually as a Fog effect, but also against a UW control deck, you can use it as a Mana Short to get a Font down, or a couple Runeflares through, on your own turn.
floodstorm64

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like having just an emrakul as a 1of is all you would need to win. You can discard it to recycle your spells and mill them, or cast it. this opens up more space by cutting traps and such. I'd feel much more safer playing old school fogs than mana shorts and silences. Even though planeswalkers ignore fogs, a howling mine deck shouldn't have any problems with a control matchup. You could even incorporate all is dust since it leaves your mines up. This seems like a solid option for the metagame right now, with the natural foils being mono red and jund. figure out a way to keep your life total high and your mines safe and you should be able to win those.
MikeL123

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
14 [M10] Island (3)
6 [ZEN] Mountain (1a)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn

// Spells
3 [M10] Earthquake
2 [M10] Twincast
3 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
4 [CFX] Font of Mythos
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [M10] Jace Beleren
4 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
4 [M10] Time Warp
4 [ROE] Reality Spasm
4 [7E] Howling Mine

Here is what I have right now.

I'm not sure I like the Chalice. With this build, I find myself tapping out most turns to either play Howling/Jace/Font, to Reality Spasm or Earthquake, to Time Warp, etc. Then a couple turns later, I try to go off and double- or triple-Runeflare.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2