Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first custom MTG Set: Jarden Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
IberianWolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@IberianWolf: Sad that you don't like the variations on the morph ability, i really like it back in Onslaught and though of giving it a twist.

morph is nice, but your set has too much of it. morphcast is just weird. can I choose not to play the card? where is it played from? can these things be unmorphed if there are no legal targets?

morph is nice, but it's better if it just remains in permanents (lands, enchantments, creatures, artifacts, NOT planeswalkers though).

other than morphcast and morphattach, you have some really nice morph cards like oblivion priest and the others in the cycle (I noticed it's a cycle)

Quote:
Diehard Giant: As you said, all it takes is a 3 toughness creature.

not everyone has a x/3 creatures in their decks, take WW for example, most of the creatures are x/2, and they certainly don't have 11 power to spare to kill the dude. not even an inkwell leviathan kills it.

Quote:
Glaring Mage: Ahem, Blinding Mage?

yeah, I know, but the art looked rather blue to me :p

Quote:
Glorious Commander: I think it is quite strong, making it only a creature could make it a little too strong, that way it is destroyable by all colors.

actually, making it an enchantment only complicates things a lot more. it can now be searched with academy rector, for example. that cards that returns enchantments from your grave can be used with buried alive to get three of them into play. and some colours simply can't remove creatures like that, period (green, even though there's lignify).

Quote:
Life Donator: I think with Wizards pushing lifegain, this guy is fine.

it gets you 6 life when it deals combat damage to a player. if it's dealt damage, you gain that much life. it's just too good to enter turn 2 as a 1/3.

Quote:
Recuperative: That was one of the points in costing it like that, why you think it could be a problem?

because you can use it simply as a creature AND as a combat trick. you can have these cards of each colour in your deck and easily make good use of them even with no mana or other cards of its colour.

Quote:
Second Life: Think 20 is fine, wording is good.

20 is too much for this. 20 life takes a lot of time for some decks to tear away, and you can play this at turn 6 or turn 8. if you run four of them the game can get very boring very fast. also, you can necropotence for infinity with this in play. you can just keep responding to the ability Smile and of course, the wording makes it go to graveyard before being exiled, so it can trigger other cards that care about that (positive or negative).

Quote:
Refill mechanic: Yes, you put the refill ability on the stack after announcing the spell. I don't think this is a problem.

kinda defeats the purpose of counterspells. it's like your counters were all Vex, which sucks a lot.

Quote:
Ressource Clipper: I think milling has become a lot stronger since Laquatus has been printed.

since tenth? Smile you see, a mono-blue control deck would mill you for 12 every turn with just 6 islands in play, and at instant speed! that means you get 2 of your opponent's cards for each blue mana. laquatus on the other hand, gets 1 card for each mana you use. so your dude has double the effectiveness for the same cost and power/toughness, except it isn't legendary (which is even better).

so basically, at turn 4 you mill him for 8 EOT, then eight more the next turn, then 12 for two turns. at your opponent's turn 7, you've taken 40 cards off his deck into his graveyard. how is that NOT too much? laquatus would only get 18. and this is ignoring dual lands and green mana accelerants (which enable turn 2 clipper, turn 3 8 cards, then 8, then 12, then 12. same stuff one turn earlier or more).

don't you think it's too good?

Quote:
Reverse Engineering: You have a point

if you had to pay 1 colourless for each target beyond the first (and take one blue out of the cost), it would be nice, I think. bounce two for 4, 3 for 6, 4 for 8. not that much card advantage, so it wouldn't be bad as an instant, and it's balanced with its morphcast cost as is.

Quote:
Deadly Horror: Well, I guess with Deathmark around too it's alright.

deathmark requires black mana Smile but some decks could use this card to go around protection or just as normal removal for 2 colourless.

as for the other cards:

Acidic vortex is broken, really.

Crazy Navigator is a good idea, but too costly without reduce. maybe 4R or 3RR with reduce 3?

Double Massacre has irrecoverable. why?

Emil is completely broken, sorry dude. 14 damage to opponent on a red deck, plus clearing the board.

Endless Burn + Life Donator + something to give +x/+1 to donator = combooooo

Evil selection: doesn't kill glorious commander, kinda defeats the point of it being an enchantment Smile

Fatal Insurrection is insane. 2RRR you get 2? and duplicate for 2? you know, the 2/R doesn't make it any weaker.

Fiery Beast feels overcosted.

Goblin martyr: does it work if he's not in play when on of the abilities resolve? I really don't know now. if it doesn't, then he sucks.

Grouping goblins: so for 2RRR I get a 4/3 double strike with hast, AND a 2/1. can easily come into play turn 3 with seething song. also, I just noticed something: additional grouping goblins are 4/3 double strike hasters for 1R Smile

Hellblast elemental is weak... just look at ball lightning, same damage for less mana.

Hellfire Dragon: 1RR for the ability. it's essentially volcanic fallout.

Lava Moon is nice.

Rock Elemental is too good, is he not?

Stone Avalanche: strictly better than stone rain.

I'll get to the green ones some other day Smile
IberianWolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittykat wrote:
just one problem with the set. every card has an ability, not every card has to be useful or awesome. Its like you were trying to make every card super playable.

this.

btw, the tri-lands need to lose the basic land type. 3 life might make them unplayable, but 2 life makes them ALMOST better than ravnica duals (as long as the deck doesn't care about land types, they'd be better). a dilemma!
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Quick reply Reply with quote

Hey there. Sorry, I don't have time to reply in detail now, but I will certainly do in about 5 hours from now.

Now just a quick reply: My intention was of course, to insert as many cards that are at least "playable", my intention was not to make all cards super strong or tournament staples, I just never liked cards that are just plain bad.

That's how I think about that.

As I said, an extended answer is about to follow soon, thx to everyone replying in the meantime.
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time passed since my last post, and be sure I have worked some more on Jarden Saga. It just isn't in the state of releasing yet, and I also don't actively work on it atm.

I was just curious to see that over 100 people have downloaded the spoiler to date, I never expected that to be honest.

Thanks for everyone trying, maybe I will post a final, rebalanced version of Jarden Saga sometime.

For everyone interested in TCGs in general, be sure to visit this site as this is the main thing I'm working on right now. OCTGN is a great client for a large variety of card games, fully free of course.

Take a look and register in the forums if you are interested, there are sure some other interesting games aside from MTG.

Greets
kaamos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(i am typing this while I look over the visual spoiler)

I really like temporary circle, art and design,
Hidden option would be broken in vintage me thinks,
The shadowrobe art is also really awesome, and fits its name well
Spring of ideas seems broken for a controld eck ;o

The blue cards overall are really well designed, the set though needs some additional sets attached to it to make it playable, but as it stands alone...

Supernatural oblation is kinda weak if you compare it to the 2/1 vamp in standard that removes counters.

Acidic vortex is OP, express mentor could be OP
Visionary Druid should be an elf
Risky Loss is awesome
Rusty shield could be abused with counter removal outside the set (ie extended)

I like the lands, and just about ALL of the artwork. The morph abilities are really good for blue and I like that. This could be a decent core set but it comes with alot of advanced abilities that dont normally come with core sets.

I would definitely purchase this if it was in packs.
JC_Strainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your feedback. Yes, there was a whole cycle of 3 sets planned, but I stopped development while testing the first set. Rolling Eyes

It's already in quite a good state, and I will surely at least finish the first set in a state, that could be released. (It's just not balanced atm and also way too many keywords. As I said, I have redone a lot of things already, maybe within the next month I will release this final version. If anyone is interested in helping here, I would surely appreciate that.)

Thanks
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2