Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Tutorial] How to install MWS on a Mac

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this works and everything and is up to standards it should be stickied i know ppl with macs that avoided m-l because they couldnt get mws to work

don't got a mac my self so of no help to me tho >.<
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to run mws on a mac,

install windows on mac allowing you to choose which OS you want to use when the computer boots up. install mws while running windows. voila
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
gypsy wrote:
how to run mws on a mac,

install windows on mac allowing you to choose which OS you want to use when the computer boots up. install mws while running windows. voila

Yes, because it's practical for everyone to purchase/pirate a windows license, partition their hard drive, log-off of OSX whenever you want to play on MWS, and expose your computer to a number of viruses. Brilliant.

almost every person i know with a mac has done this and has no problems, not just for MWS lets you use any windows program. if you cared so much about not getting viruses the have linux and run windows through linux
bilo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have installed wine and mws.

Now i have 2 Problems:
when i want to start mws following error occurs: "Critical Program Settings not found in registry. Reeinstall Magic Workstation."

When i try to install that fonts u mention, it says : "Prefix creation exited with error"

Im able to start MWSPlay but it says "invalid file format" when i want to load a deck, although i got the latest masterbase.

any suggestions?
bilo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. It doesnt install it in that version as well. same error.
bilo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wth is that? Very Happy what does it do? i dont really understand the description in the link.
bilo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thats easy to undo if something goes wrong? it says something about conflicts that may happen when osx updates. i got all the orginal cds of my mac.

Sry if im being overcareful here, but i dont like doing stuff blindly without understanding it. and im new to macs.
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Mandy, nice work at figuring this out and posting a tutorial.

2: I've gotten MWS to work and not crash. Was simple with WINE. Problem I'm having though is that it's not playable.

example: ctrl+i to roll a dice (or even if I select the command through the menu) doesn't work. The window for the d20 comes up, but then nothing happens when I click 'roll'

example 2: When I click on a card to put into play, I cannot see the card on the playing field. I can select it but I can't actually see it. Same problem when I draw a new card. I can't see the card at all.

I'm wondering if theirs any other winetricks you'd recommend installing to make this work. As of now I've only installed the font's one you mentioned in your tutorial.

And for reference I'm running an intel 2.53 ghz with 10.5.8 OS X

Any ideas?
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:

What version of Wine are you running? I've heard from a lot of people that the latest version of Wine is actually giving MWS issues. I had to downgrade back to 1.1.35 in order to get things working again. Give that a try and let me know if it helps.

I installed the previous version (again thanks for the link). It runs but veeeery slowly.

Issues are:

1-Screen refreshes constantly once their are any changes. Refresh is very slow (like a drop down scroll)

2-Sometimes the text on the cards / life read outs do not show up. I think 1 and 2 are def related.

I think this is due to perhaps some plugin not being installed (meaning winetricks) in addition to the Corefonts.

Also I wasn't able to exactly follow your tutorial (I got lost on the icon thing and wasn't able to figure it out / found an alt solution)

Meaning I did:

-Installed Wine
-Tried to run Winetricks -> Corefonts. Fails midway through
-Used wine to install Magic Workstation. /Users/Support/Freelance/Bottles
-After Installation I went back to winetricks ->corefonts. Worked.
-Run Magic Workstation (after updating the database). Tried making the standalone icon but could not get it to work. Instead I run it via going into /User/Wine Files/Drive_C/Program Files/Magic Workstation ->Open With Wine ->Run Directly 'Users/Wine Files'

ps: Thanks for the quick response.
gamblnwad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

Ok so I just got a new macbook pro recently and then found out that MWS doesnt work for macs... booo!

Then I found a post about installing wine to run windows apps... yay!!!

So, after taking 20 decades to figure out how to get the thing to save my decks im now at the point where in mws online its saying "invalid file format" about the deck im trying to load.

SOOOO, I guess my question is how can i get wine to read it and work.

Thanks for any help.
Adieu
gamblnwad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Netdraft Reply with quote

Yeah but does cockatrice or whatever support netdraft as this is mostly what I use mws for
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2