Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does ROE change standard?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: How does ROE change standard? Reply with quote

I wanted to bring this up to see what people are coming up with. 80% of people I run into testing out T2 with ROE are trying to work out the correct Eldrazi configuration. Problem is that I am not seeing enough mainstream decks facing the new ones with ROE included.

What does Eldrazi, Explosive Revelation, and some of the other interesting ROE decks have for matchups vs Jund, UW, Bant, Vampires, etc...?

We all have regionals coming up shortly. How is Rise of the Eldrazi going to affect the metagame?
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of bad decks until the next pro tournament.
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are going to play decks that have RoE cards in it, and then realize their decks suck with RoE cards. I honestly don't get why the fuck Wizards couldn't have just made a third set in the Zendikar block. It doesn't feel finished with just two sets and I actually liked Zendikar and Worldwake's themes.
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonproject: I LOVED the themes of Zen/WWK and ROE doesn't feel the same as those two sets so far, however it is what it is and there is no sense in complaining about it. You play the hand that you are dealt.

No sense in scrubbing out of regionals on principle.
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenixmatt wrote:
Jonproject: I LOVED the themes of Zen/WWK and ROE doesn't feel the same as those two sets so far, however it is what it is and there is no sense in complaining about it. You play the hand that you are dealt.

Well RoE is supposed to be a stand-alone set, and (don't quote me on this, I never follow the storyline) have no connection to the previous two sets. So that would explain the lack of continuity in set design. But still, only having two sets in a block feels lacking. I guess we'll see what happens.
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Zen/WWK like lands coming into play and ROE will like to have lots of lands to cast big guys. Is there some similarities here? Nah, different blocks.
Drayen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: It's the same block... Reply with quote

It's the same block...
It/s a mechanical reboot without a story reboot.
kaamos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the ROE cardlist even fully released?
If not then there's no reason to start designing and playtesting.
or complaining.
tchiseen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
People are going to play decks that have RoE cards in it, and then realize their decks suck with RoE cards. I honestly don't get why the fuck Wizards couldn't have just made a third set in the Zendikar block. It doesn't feel finished with just two sets and I actually liked Zendikar and Worldwake's themes.

I couldn't agree more. It's obvious the geniuses at Wizards had their dicks in their eyes most of the time with this set.

Two reasons: The flavor of RoE doesn't fit at all, and, Eldrazzi card in WWK? OOH ITS A TEASER ENJOY OPENING LIKE 10 OF THESE USELESS PIECES OF SHIT.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmogoyf was originally a "useless" labeled card. It was worth 1 US dollar at shops worldwide.

Please, feel free to eat your foot once those "useless" cards get their usefulness realized.
DareDevil85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoE will sure as Hell have a big impact on T2 Meta.

Every G-Splashing Deck will try to take advantage of Momentous Fall. Jund and Naya will soon realize that they cant do this properly. Bant and Eldrazi will have a huge advantage of it.

Emrakul might call up a revival of Polymorph, maybe in Addition with Summ Trap.

Khalni Hydra and that Mul Daya Elf seem to be nice. Maybe G Beatdown without Eldrazi in Future.

So in general, i think RoE will weaken Jund a bit by giving the other Decks some powerful Stuff.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumagmd wrote:
Tarmogoyf was originally a "useless" labeled card. It was worth 1 US dollar at shops worldwide.

Please, feel free to eat your foot once those "useless" cards get their usefulness realized.

Feel free to eat your foot when you realize something like that is never gonna happen again thanks to the mythic rarity.
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason Jund couldn't use Momentous Fall. It sounds pretty good in a Jund or Naya deck to me. Sac a fatty in response to removal and draw cards and gain life, that can't be good for Jund or Naya. Especially with Mono Red & Boros seemingly being very good the Eldrazi Decks.

Also Jund will not always win, people said the same thing about faeries and when it was time for a while Faeries wasn't a viable deck as token decks took over. I don't see anything in here that would cripple Jund, but the set isn't complete yet. Also I have tested a lot vs Jund with the Eldrazi Decks and at least two versions of them have VERY good matchups vs Jund.

Has anyone had any luck with the Level Up cards? They just don't seem as good as advertised to me.
Insom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely sold on fall yet. In the slower matchups where jund could run out of steam even with its current card advantage you just end up sacrificing a creature and the spell gets countered. It is still sick when you are able to play it in response to removal though. I kind of like student of warfare but the rest of the levelers seem pretty bland. There seem to be a few playable cards and I am guessing like mystic and sejiri of the last set a couple of these cards will have a decent unexpected effect on the meta. Realms should see play and I am convinced I can make a playable deck around gideon. A must answer threat, attached to an assassinate, that stays out of bolt range and laughs at DoJ is right up my alley.
fenixmatt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Momentous Fall is pretty ridiculous especially when you need to find an answer right now and that rhox war monk, baneslayer angel, sprouting thrinax just isn't going to do it. Also I have seen it used on Abyssal Persecutor late, which is just ridiculous.

I expect Gideon to see a lot of play, but I haven't seen any decks that have given it a good home yet. Gideon when combined with Elspeth is pretty brutal when you start adding wrath effects.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3