Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BW Control Deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
timthomson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: BW Control Deck Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I am currently working on a BW control deck, as I am sure many of us have been missing it. I am having a few problems with mana, but overall the deck performs well. Here it is so far...

Lands:

12 x Swamp
6 x Plains
4 x Marsh Flats

Creatures:

4 x Vampire Nighthawk
4 x Tidehollow Sculler
4 x Abyssal Persecuter
3 x Ob Nixilis, the Fallen

Spells:

3 x Day of Judgement
3 x Oblivion Ring
2 x Sorin Markov
2 x Identity Crisis
4 x Journey to Nowhere
2 x Mind Sludge
4 x Disfigure
3 x Everflowing Chalice

Sideboard:

1 x Day of Judgement
1 x Oblivion Ring
3 x Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 x Duress
3 x Pithing Needle
3 x Kor Firewalker

The deck uses Chalice to accelerate into bombs turn 3 like persecuter, and turn 5 ob with a land to play. It controls the board with day and o-ring effects, which also give you outs for persecuter. I set it up game 1 to control the aggro field, while I can board into more control. Original build ran 26 lands but I found myself getting flooded, while this build runs 24 I don't get flooded as much but find myself missing that 2nd white I need when I need it. Any advice or help you can give would be appreciated. I plan on playing this at the next friday night magic. Please remember that I do not have any Baneslayers and will not be buying any in the near future unless someone would like to just give me a playset. I own every card in the deck except the days. Thanks for any positive critique you can offer.
whoempah_666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take out 2 plains and 2 swamps for 4 arcane sanctums
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would benefit from having Sign in Blood, as some form of card draw at least. Also, if your plan is to accelerate into early threats, I'd find room for the 4th Chalice to be sure you have one on turn two as often as possible. I would also definitely increase the lands up to 24. Arcane Sanctum is better than Terramorphic, it fixes your mana for double colors much better. I don't know how good Mind Sludge will be for you with the amount of white you plan to include, just seems that you won't have enough swamps to make it as great as it could be. You've already got the Identity Crisis main, so I'd just take the Sludges out.

And if you're running the Gatekeepers to get rid of things like Wall of Denial, Snapper, & Sphinxes, it might be easier on your mana to use Fleshbag Marauders instead, they accomplish the same thing, on the same turn, and are easier for you to cast. And are the Pithing Needles just for Planeswalkers? If so, did you think about Vampire Hexmages instead? Just wondering. Hope that helps you some.
Kienan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSUOversoul wrote:
...I don't know how good Mind Sludge will be for you with the amount of white you plan to include, just seems that you won't have enough swamps to make it as great as it could be...

...did you think about Vampire Hexmages instead?...

I was thinking the same thing about the Mind Sludges. Also, I don't think that two is enough to have one by turn four or five consistently, which is really where it shines. You may considering taking them out for something else, or adding more and running Terramorphic Expanses so you can draw them earlier and increase their potency.

The Hexmages are a good suggestion as well, if the Needles are mainly for Planeswalkers, as mentioned.
timthomson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help so far. I think that I will drop the sludges and add an additional identity crisis. After posting I decided about terramorphic right away and the will be going in also. I like the hexmagr idea but the needles aren't just for planeswalkers but also man-lands in uw or rwu control. Any more ideas please keep them coming.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run non-swamps, Mind Shatter is better than Mind Sludge.

Path to Exile can be used to kill Abyssal Persecutor and activate Ob Nixilis on your own creatures, if they die anyways. The enchantment based removals you run aren't good, since they are sorcery speed. You would not have to rely on Pithing Needle to kill manlands if you had more potent instant removal.

22 lands aren't enough in a deck running Ob Nixilis, Sorin Markov and Identity Crisis. 24 is the absolute minimum if you run 4 Chalice. I think those enchantments are again the ones to take out.
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midrange is too strong to allow a control deck without jace to work.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1