Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drafting on Bestiaire, Interesting Deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Drafting on Bestiaire, Interesting Deck Reply with quote

I was practicing drafting on Bestiaire because I haven't drafted in two years, and I don't have that great a feel for the new cards. I hope to draft IRL Friday, if I can afford it.

Anyway, I was practicing, and this bizarre deck took shape. I have no clue how it would do in a real draft, since I only tested it on MWS against myself in a mirror match. I'm worried it might be too slow, but it does have some decent cards and synergy, as well as some recursion, so it might actually be awesome. It was working quite well in mirror but, again, I think it might be too slow, so a mirror is a worthless test.

Well, I'll show you all the decklist, and then talk about it a bit. Sorry, this will probably be long. If you don't feel like reading, but find the deck interesting, good, or awful, feel free to skip my blathering. I'd like to hear what people with more drafting experience think. Thanks!

Total Cards: 42
// Lands (18 )
8 [ZEN] Mountain (3)
10 [ZEN] Swamp (3)

// Creatures (8 )
1 [ZEN] Blood Seeker
2 [ZEN] Bloodghast
1 [ZEN] Crypt Ripper
1 [ZEN] Giant Scorpion
1 [WWK] Quag Vampires
1 [ZEN] Vampire Lacerator
1 [WWK] Walking Atlas

// Spells (16)
2 [WWK] Brink of Disaster
2 [ZEN] Desecrated Earth
1 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
1 [ZEN] Quest for the Gravelord
3 [ZEN] Vampire's Bite
2 [ZEN] Demolish
1 [ZEN] Goblin War Paint
1 [WWK] Roiling Terrain
1 [WWK] Searing Blaze
2 [ZEN] Zektar Shrine Expedition

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Bog Tatters
SB: 2 [WWK] Dead Reckoning
SB: 1 [ZEN] Heartstabber Mosquito
SB: 1 [WWK] Claws of Valakut
SB: 1 [ZEN] Mark of Mutiny
SB: 1 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
SB: 1 [ZEN] Nimbus Wings
SB: 1 [ZEN] Sunspring Expedition
SB: 1 [ZEN] Shoal Serpent
SB: 1 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 1 [WWK] Treasure Hunt
SB: 1 [WWK] Quest for Renewal
SB: 1 [WWK] Kitesail
SB: 1 [WWK] Smoldering Spires
SB: 1 [ZEN] Kabira Crossroads
SB: 1 [WWK] Khalni Garden
SB: 1 [ZEN] Piranha Marsh

Also, am I right in thinking this isn't your standard drafted deck? I went for freaking land destruction in a draft, does that happen often? Again, I haven't drafted in two years, I have no clue what people are drafting. But I was amazed when I realized what direction the deck was going as I was drafting.

While I was doing a mirror match, I ran into the following hilarious situation:

Player 1 has 12 life, a Zombie Giant token (Quest for the Gravelord), enchanted with a Brink of Disaster (which is an even more awesome card than I thought), an unkicked 1/1 Quag Vampires, and a charged Zektar Shrine. Player 2 has 9 life, a charged Zektar Shrine, and it's 'his' turn. Desperate to get some more life back (and unable to use the elemental's 1 toughness to block trample) 'he' unleashes the 7/1 elemental, slams a kicked Vampire's Bite (awesome synergy Very Happy) on it, so it becomes a 10/1 Lifelink Trampler, and attacks. P1 blocks with the useless Zombie Giant, taking 5 trample damage and going down to 7. Both tokens die. P2 thinks 'he's' set, although 'he' knows 'he'll' take 7 damage next turn.

On P1's turn, 'he' activates 'his' shrine, and casts 'his' own kicked Vampire's Bite on the elemental, creating another 10/1 lifelinker. He swings with the Elemental and the Quag Vampire for 11, brining P2 down to 8, and bring P1 up to 17.

Anyway, that's the interesting bit. Each side ended up with a Shrine and a Vampire's Bite.

After the initial playtest I sided out Bog Tatters and Dead Reckonings. Not sure if those were the right calls. Bog Tatters goes back in if my opponent is playing black, obviously. I took out the Dead Reconkings because my biggest creature only had 2 power, and they slowed down draw too much. Basically, 3 mana wasn't worth drawing one of my lame creatures next turn and doing up to two damage to a creature. And I still have Brink and Blaze for removal, and the one Grim Discovery (and two recurring Bloodghasts!) for bringing back a creature.

The deck building aspect I have most trouble with is narrowing the final deck down to around forty cards. I usually actually play 41 or 42 card decks. I wanted to remove Quag Vampires and Blood Seeker, and put Quag back in against black, but I didn't have enough creatures left to really take advantage of my 3x Bite. Seeker is nice, but I don't like the feel of a 1/1 for 2cmc in this particular deck. Anyway, I put them both in anyway so I'd have enough creatures.

There's some great synergy here, though, even more than I'd anticipated. Hit your opponent with a Desecrated Earth, it sets them back, and sometimes they discard a land, too. Then you hit them with more land destruction, then Roiling Terrain, and watch them squirm. Admittedly it's a long shot, and not the deck's default win condition, but it's still fun. Basically it all surprisingly works well together.

The Shrine and Quag Vampires both love Bite, and Quag really loves War Paint. Bloodghast appreciates the Shrines, the Gravelord, and Crypt Ripper, as well as the Lacerator. Quest for the Gravelord loves the removal and deathtouch. War Paint goes nice on anyone, especially turn two. A 4/4 Lacerator on turn two is fun.

The land destruction is surprisingly reliable. Turn four Demolish/Brink is fun, then hitting them again on turn five if you got decent draws. You can just keep going, sometimes.

One test game (and, yes, I realize I wouldn't have that much time to test in a real draft, but I wanted to get a feel for the capabilities since I'm NOT in a real draft) I managed to play a Demolish turn four, a Brink (on land) turn five, another Brink on a land turn 6, and a Desecrated Earth turn 7. They were all Swamps, too, so he got mana screwed. I got another Desecrate before he could recover.

One of the problems I notice is, despite its synergy in some areas, early land destruction and early landfall don't go together. In one of my tests I had a Brink and a Shrine in the same hand, I would have had to 'waste' a land drop to Brink a land (I had three lands out). I opted for the Shrine in this case, since I didn't yet have any more land destruction to back up the Brink, so it may have turned out to be better saved anyway. Still, I noticed the lack of synergy.

Also, awesome as the idea itself is, I'm not sure how it would work in the actual field. If you don't get the right creature draws, or all of your land destruction, you end up with a useless deck with not enough creatures or board control. So I'm not sure how it would do in an actual draft. It still might be awesome, though.

So basically there's a lot of synergy, and I think it's a decent deck, but my main concern is the speed. Would this get owned against other draft decks before it can really shine? If you miss a few of the creatures you can be in trouble. Luckily you've got the quest enchantments for three more creatures, but still.

Above all, I think it's an interesting draft deck, and I look forward to hearing other peoples' opinions on it, good or bad.

I also just drafted another deck, but haven't put it together yet. It's Green with a splash of White, almost solely for a Luminarch Ascension that showed up in one of the later packs. If it turns out interesting maybe I'll post it here too. Do people enjoy critiquing limited decks, or not?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I have a tendancy to get caught up in it when I start writing. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully you found it somewhat interesting. Well, please tell me what you think, thanks. Smile

~Kienan.
CalvinDeclan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really know where to start here... I think you just need to get some tips and work on your drafting skills more. Bestiaire probably isn't the best place to practice drafting anyway, I recommend getting netdraft and drafting with us MLers in #draft4you. You have WAY too many non-creature spells... bad spells at that... and not enough creatures. You should have around 15-17 creatures in this format I think, and 5 or 6 good removal spells. Add 18 land and hopefully you'll have a workable 40 card deck. Brink of Disaster, Desecrated earth, demolish... those cards just aren't maindeckable. 3 Vampires bite is too much... in my opinion 1 vampires bite is too much heh but some people play it more often. Heartstabber mosquito and bog tatters should have been in your deck... but you really needed to pick up more good quality creatures during the draft. Hope this helps.

Calvin
LilDan
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalvinDeclan, drafting 6 good removal spells is a bit of a challenge. I'm glad if I see and can pick up 3 or 4.
CalvinDeclan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 or 6 removal spells isn't a bad thing to shoot for. Obviously if you are U/G or something you'll probably have a hard time with it. "Good non-creature spells" is clearer I suppose.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1