Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BGW Rock

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Nevian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: BGW Rock Reply with quote

So I had been running a Black White deck for awhile and I really liked how a lot of the deck worked. Recently with the reemergence of blue, I have needed faster damage and a little less answers to creatures. I decided to take the concept of my BW and add green and it became a Rock deck. And here it is, I have really been liking how it works.

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
3 [UNH] Plains
1 [M10] Gargoyle Castle
1 [WWK] Sejiri Steppe
3 [UNH] Swamp
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
2 [UNH] Forest
2 [M10] Sunpetal Grove
2 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [M10] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
2 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
3 [ZEN] World Queller
4 [M10] Birds of Paradise
4 [ARB] Putrid Leech

// Spells
1 [CFX] Path to Exile
3 [ZEN] Brave the Elements
1 [10E] Pithing Needle
4 [7E] Duress
1 [WWK] Basilisk Collar
1 [ARB] Behemoth Sledge
1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [M10] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [ZEN] Luminarch Ascension
SB: 1 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 3 [M10] Deathmark
SB: 2 [ZEN] Ravenous Trap

Sideboard could use a little help, wish I new the metagame better. So this version runs 9 Fetch Lands which means a perfect inclusion into the deck is Knight of the Reliquary. Also since I out in green Behemoth Sledge can now be tutored for, and I have added a Maelstrom for Planeswalkers. I love first turn Duress followed by second turn Tidehollow and a third turn Knight which is usually a 4/4 by this point.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure about the Birds. You have only 6 ways of having G turn 1, and afterwards it isn't that good - and it is a terrible topdeck.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have only one copy each of Path to Exile and Maelstrom Pulse?
JustKenny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs more removal
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a huge fan of bloodghast in the deck and I think there are better options as far as 5cmc white creatures go. 4 duress mb is overkill. Starting with 2 or maybe even 3 in hand against most decks is just giving them card advantage from the start. Yea, you need more paths and pulses.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of your deck more as Jund with White instead of Red. Maybe that helps.
rafaruggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

Yeah, Jund without Bloodbraid, Bolt or Thrinax. Man, that looks SO good. :\.
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are just looking at those 3 cards I think I would rather have RoE, path and KoTR Smile. If you had named the best card in jund it would be different though.

Last edited by Insom on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing this deck a lot Noble Hierarch is better then Birds of Paradise even if it does not make Black mana. Noble Hierarch is better due to Also while Leech is good Pridemage is just as good I would work in at least one into the main deck. World Queller is an interesting choice over the obv Baneslayer/Ob Nixilis, the Fallen . What made you swap them for that slot? Brave the Elements seems suppar over more PTE and Pluse in the maindeck. For the four drop slot I am shocked to not see Emeria Angel in there in some number.

Stoneforge Mystic is a good update to the deck. It does seem that Collar would be even better with Emeria Angel in the deck in some number. Elspeth and Garruk should be at least one of in the deck as well
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafaruggi wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:

Yeah, Jund without Bloodbraid, Bolt or Thrinax. Man, that looks SO good. :\.

Nevertheless, that is what he is doing. Of course, the addition of Baneslayer Angel, Path to Exile and Knight of the Reliquary makes up for some of the lost Jund power, but the gameplan is much the same...
Nevian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to run 4 PTE the down side was the obvious mana accel to a control deck or when they were dead anyway with shroudie creatures, and Jund it didn't stop enough. I have Deathmark sideboard for Baneslayers and Jund. Bloodghast is a little weak I agree, but against DoJ it works wonders. Emeria Angel would be pretty nice I agree I may find room for it. Brave the Elements is nice for the opposite making their removal useless is the main plan. It has lost power since adding Green in since I am now running Putrid Leech. Instead of Enthersworn Cannonists. BoP is a little weak too and I may try some Nobels. The main reason I do not run BSA is I do not have any and probably will not get any. I really like the synergy between World Queller and Bloodghast, sacing a BoP isn't horrible either. Plus I also like the synergy with World Queller and Knight. Choosing land has an upside.
Nevian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of bloodghast in the deck and I think there are better options as far as 5cmc white creatures go. 4 duress mb is overkill. Starting with 2 or maybe even 3 in hand against most decks is just giving them card advantage from the start. Yea, you need more paths and pulses.

I have never had an issue with getting too many duresses. Even Jund runs only 17ish creatures and the rest spells, I have never been unhappy to have a duress even when it didn't hit because I get to see their hand, very valuable knowledge. Pulses I may need to add more, not sure yet. I like adding in O-rings second game over other removal because it is more versatile.
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-ring is just what you play when you can't play pulse.
Nevian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insom wrote:
O-ring is just what you play when you can't play pulse.

Very good point, when I get more pulses I will add them. I do like the easier to cast O-ring still but Maelstrom Pulse is nice.
Nevian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r3wind wrote:
After playing this deck a lot Noble Hierarch is better then Birds of Paradise even if it does not make Black mana. Noble Hierarch is better due to Also while Leech is good Pridemage is just as good I would work in at least one into the main deck. World Queller is an interesting choice over the obv Baneslayer/Ob Nixilis, the Fallen . What made you swap them for that slot? Brave the Elements seems suppar over more PTE and Pluse in the maindeck. For the four drop slot I am shocked to not see Emeria Angel in there in some number.

Stoneforge Mystic is a good update to the deck. It does seem that Collar would be even better with Emeria Angel in the deck in some number. Elspeth and Garruk should be at least one of in the deck as well

If Noble Hierarch is added and Birds taken out then yes I will be taking Bloodghasts out, most of them anyway and probably replacing them with Pridemage's.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3