Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thoughts on pt top8

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
asamodious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts on pt top8 Reply with quote

mister_gaga wrote:
Just wanted to see what people thought of the top 8. I'm shocked that there are zero control decks in it. No uw or grixis. Not surprised to see jund, but only 3 of them. Also a bit shocked to not see bant in top 8, day 1 a bant deck went 5-0, and there were like 40 of them there.

Just because a deck went 5-0 in standard doesnt mean a deck with make it to top 8. You have to remember that there were 6 rounds of draft in this pro tour. 10-6 isnt good enough to top 8, do you have to win at draft too. Alot of the people that went 5-0 in standard soon found themselves at 5-3 or 5-2 at the end of the day.
endbringer1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunning Sparkmage for the win!
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised at all.

I knew Grixis was trash and it will remain trash for the foreseeable future.

U/W control is a little more legit, but hopefully this top 8 drives down the price of BSA and new Jace a little now that people see that there aren't 4x copies of each in every top 8 deck. I think U/W control with mana acceleration via the chalice is very competitive with anything out there right now.

In fact, there are 6 copies of BSA across 2 decks and 0 copies of new Jace across 1 deck in the top 8. To a large extent basilisk collar has reduced the power of BSA because it is another efficient way to gain life (more effective really).

Super expensive mythic rares aren't all it takes to win kids, and Jund is still the best deck in the format.

I am definitely not surprised to see a copy of Red Deck Wins in the top 8 either. Just like the guy said:

1. It's easy to play
2. It's fast and requires little thought (fatigue over a long tournament)
3. It rarely mulligans
4. It punishes bad draws
5. It is at least 50/50 with just about anything except maybe mono-white with 4 main deck kor firewalker
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on the first round brackets:

LVS should beat RDW handily with so many ways to gain life and pay for quenchable fire.

I would put money on Simon Görtzen's Jund over the Filigree/Open the Vaults deck.

Daniel Gräfensteiner's G/W/b vs. Wescoe's WW should come down to who wins the die roll and luck.

Ikawa vs. Boggemes Jund mirror I give the advantage to Ikawa with 3 main deck Bit Blasts vs. 0 in Boggemes deck and only 1 in his side.
Lat[GRC]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scute mob gets the artifacts and becomes lethal + it's faster
(you start gaining 5-9-13-etc life and if its the bahemoth sledge you have trample also)
OldBear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like any of the decks, guess I will not be playing T2 in a while.
Sigil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSV has been my favorite Pro since before PT Berlin. He still is, and as I write this, he's 17-0 (With a win over Kanis). LSV FTW!
Shinato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he sold his soul. If I look at him, I think I must be right.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-finals

LSV vs. Görtzen's Jund

I know this is a match up LSV has tested and tested hundreds of times. He probably feels that testing proved his deck has the advantage. That said, his sideboard doesn't really have a lot of juice against Jund. Gortzen can bring in 4x death mark, which kill every creature in LVS's deck. An extra maelstrom pulse for the planeswalkers, equipment, and oblivion rings and a relevant pithing needle.

Still, I think what haunts Gortzen in this match is the inability to gain life. LVS has plenty of ways to bolster his life total while Gortzen's is going nowhere but down. Weenies, fliers, life gain from equipment, and burn should result in LSV winning the match 3-1 or 3-2. Also, the lack of bit blast is going to hurt Gortzen in this match up.

Wescoe vs. Boggemes

Wescoe's deck has a great win % against Jund with a combination of pro-red, pro-black creatures, life gain, etc. After side boarding Boggemes is gonna wish he had more malakir bloodwitches (only 1 in the side) and some master of the wild hunt (zero in the deck list). I think this is nearly a bye to the finals for Wescoe.

Most likely finals: LSV vs. Wescoe, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Gortzen vs. Wescoe which would result in his janky WW deck winning the tour. LSV's deck list has a very good chance of beating Wescoe, but day of judgment and elspeth become key cards on Wescoe's side in that match up (force LSV to stall and commit heavy board presence then wipe the board and start up the soldier train).
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised to see Wescoe's WW lose to Jund 3-1. But, that's how Jund is, sometimes it just wins.

As previously mentioned, I am not shocked to see LSV's Naya lose to Gortzen's Jund.

This results in Jund vs. Jund in the Pro Tour Finals.

Lulz are had by all.
Shinato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does suck a lot, because it shows that Jund does still beat everything and got even better with the manlands, because they now can run the amount of mana they would like (26-27 lands) and still being able to apply preasure. This is not a format where I like to play....numerous Jund Mirror matches and even hate doesn't beat it! Kor Firewalker, White Knight and still....
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister_gaga wrote:
I think that is really narrow minded. Jund may be the most consistent deck, but its far from unbeatable. In a Meta with mostly jund all the decks that always beat kind will shine

Nobody is saying that Jund is unbeatable.

But Jund just wins sometimes. And there isn't really such a thing as a bad match up for it.
magpiesmn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Mob scute Reply with quote

Is the new tamogoyf.

Mob scute.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister_gaga wrote:
lol, just noticed that Stephen King had 24 points in the PT. He was playing Jund, proof that he's out of ideas!

Last good book I read from him was Insomnia. He is actually better in the non-horror department nowadays...
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister_gaga wrote:
lol, just noticed that Stephen King had 24 points in the PT. He was playing Jund, proof that he's out of ideas!

I am surprised that he did so poorly in draft.

Also, I think the new manlands invalidate any version of Jund that runs Oran-Rief from now on. Then again, he went 8-2 at the pro tour so I can't fault his Jund build too much.

But uh, yea, Stephen King the author etc.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2