Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Nutty ZZW Draft Deck: *UBW Landfall*

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
loki3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: My Nutty ZZW Draft Deck: *UBW Landfall* Reply with quote

I drafted this hot deck at FNM. It was 15-16 people. I top-8ed, made it to top 4, my opponent in the semis forfeited (had to leave- it was really late). Finals was with a friend. Wanted to get out of there, so I gave him the win and I took the packs.

I know for sure the first picks I made. After that, my memory gets increasingly fuzzy. But here's how I think I drafted:

Quote:
Pack 1:
Pick 1 - Arrow Volley Trap. Passed an Obsidian Fireheart and a Geyser Glider.
Pick 2 - Journey to Nowhere. Passed Geopede and some green. Started thinking UW (my favorite combination).
Pick 3 - Welkin Tern
Pick 4 - Windrider Eel
I was thinking UW for sure after pack 1. Had some allies and some green cards, and was thinking maybe looking for more allies or splashing green.

Quote:
Pack 2:
Pick 1 - Emeria
Pick 2 - Ob-Nixilist - Decided he was worth going 3 colors, or at least taking him for trading. He always seems worth squeezing in : But I didn't see any more Black for the rest of Pack 2.
Pick 3 - Windrider Eel #2
Pick 4 - Gomazoa
Pick 5 - Roil Elemental (was nobody else playing blue???)

Quote:
Pack 3:
Pick 1 - Voyager Drake (passed Kazuul)
Pick 2 - Ruin Ghost
Pick 3 - Jagwasp Swarm
Pick 4 - Perimeter Captain
Pick 5 - Ruin Ghost #2

Quote:
// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands
2 [WWK] Sejiri Steppe
1 [WWK] Halimar Depths
1 [ZEN] Sejiri Refuge
7 [ZEN] Island (1)
5 [ZEN] Swamp (Cool
3 [ZEN] Plains (5)

// Creatures
1 [WWK] Jagwasp Swarm
1 [ZEN] Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
1 [WWK] Ruthless Cullblade
1 [ZEN] Cliff Threader
1 [ZEN] Emeria Angel
1 [WWK] Perimeter Captain
2 [WWK] Ruin Ghost
1 [WWK] Calcite Snapper
1 [ZEN] Gomazoa
1 [WWK] Halimar Excavator
1 [ZEN] Reckless Scholar
1 [ZEN] Roil Elemental
1 [ZEN] Tempest Owl
1 [WWK] Voyager Drake
1 [ZEN] Welkin Tern
2 [ZEN] Windrider Eel
1 [ZEN] Hedron Scrabbler

// Spells
1 [ZEN] Arrow Volley Trap
1 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
1 [ZEN] Explorer's Scope

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Cosi's Trickster
SB: 1 [WWK] Mire's Toll
SB: 1 [ZEN] Runeflare Trap
SB: 1 [ZEN] Slaughter Cry
SB: 1 [WWK] Battle Hurda
SB: 1 [ZEN] Brave the Elements
SB: 1 [WWK] Kitesail Apprentice
SB: 1 [ZEN] Kor Outfitter
SB: 2 [ZEN] Noble Vestige
SB: 1 [ZEN] Ondu Cleric
SB: 2 [ZEN] Merfolk Wayfinder
SB: 1 [WWK] Spell Contortion
SB: 1 [ZEN] Joraga Bard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Oran-Rief Recluse
SB: 1 [ZEN] Timbermaw Larva
SB: 1 [ZEN] Forest (1)
SB: 1 [ZEN] Plains (1)

Mana breakdown: 5B sources, 6W sources, 7U Sources. Might not be the perfect picks, build, or mana. But it definitely worked.

It felt like I drew amazing well. I played 1 of my bombs every game, often 2, and occasionally all 3. Rest of deck was pretty strong, too.

Quote:
***Landfall mechanic is absolutely nuts with Ruin Ghosts. They are probably my favorite limited WWK common. And when paired with Sejiri Steppe and a few landfall dudes... The card becomes a bomb.***

Example of shenanigans: I was at 6 life and my opponent was at 14 with a huge army on the ground, including Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs. I had Ob Nixilist in play (as a 6/6). I played a land, -3 life. I attacked with an Explorer Scope-equipped Welkin Terin (-2) and a Jagwasp Swarm (-3), pulling a land into play (-3 due to Ob). -11 life total. Used Ruin Ghost's Ability to levitate my land. (-14 life total). This put them at exactly 0 life. Felt really sweet. And kinda like cheating.

Emeria and Roil Element had similar shenanigans. And when 2 or 3 of them were together, shenanigans were always hilarious.

Most fun I've had at draft ever. Luckiest I've felt, too. Smile
standarizeMA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Uhhh... Reply with quote

First pick, I'd put Obsidian Fireheart over Arrow Volley trap. Arrow Volley trap isn't even good. Second pick Geopede and from there tried going mono red. Not sure what was in each pack because you didnt tell us however I'm sure it would've been a really good consistant deck. Picking Ob Nixilis was definately greedy, and there was probably a more appropriate pick.
asamodious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya first pick was wrong.

switching to 3 colors was really greedy, especially cause youre trying to splash a BB card. I dont mind hating it, but playing it is a different story. Your deck turned out ok, but just because it was an fnm.

and ya, 5th pick roil elemental is not that shocking. 6 mana for a 3/2 is very underwhelming. Its ability is kind of meh, considering how hard it is to kill a 2 toughness guy.

There wasnt any U or W cards in the pack with ob-nix?
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ob nix not 8tix dunno what the equates to irl, short story you should have took it, you shouldnt have played it.
CalvinDeclan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that deck looks absolutely awful. congrats on doing well with it though.
LordLink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean nutty as in weird rather than good? because that deck certainly isn't good :S

You were pretty determined to draft a slow control deck, and you got one with a bunch of filler and a terrible manabase.

And why does everyone on magic-league cream themselves over the random 6-drop rares in Zendikar? Roil Elemental is only slightly better than Vastwood Gorger.
EMA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U should be banned for making that pick p1p1!
Laughing
loki3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like red anyways, and I thought if I fed them some good red cards, I'd get back some nice other color cards Smile

Though if there was only 1 red card, I would have definitely gone for it. I hate cracking a pack that has multiple good cards in one color. It just encourages the downstream guy to pick it as his second color. And then pack 2, I'd see nothing.

Yeah, the landfall aspect of the deck wasn't even there till the Ruin Ghosts and Sejiri Steppe. So it almost was terrible. And yes, it was mostly chump blocking with my 2 drops and bird tokens (I seemed to draw Emeria more than probability would have suggested)
asamodious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki3 wrote:
I don't really like red anyways, and I thought if I fed them some good red cards, I'd get back some nice other color cards Smile

Though if there was only 1 red card, I would have definitely gone for it. I hate cracking a pack that has multiple good cards in one color. It just encourages the downstream guy to pick it as his second color. And then pack 2, I'd see nothing.

geyser glider is not considered a good red card. If there was a card like burst lightning or plated geopode then i could understand your logic.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1