Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4c Super Ramp

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Taodd
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: 4c Super Ramp Reply with quote

Some people asked me to post my list so here it is.

// Lands
1 [M10] Rootbound Crag
5 [10E] Island (2)
8 [DM] Forest (2)
2 [AT] Mountain (1)
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
3 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [6E] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
2 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
4 [M10] Birds of Paradise
1 [ZEN] Rampaging Baloths
4 [ZEN] Oracle of Mul Daya
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra

// Spells
3 [M10] Time Warp
3 [WWK] Comet Storm
3 [M10] Mind Spring
3 [WWK] Treasure Hunt
3 [ARB] Lavalanche
4 [WWK] Explore

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [ALA] Swerve
SB: 2 [M10] Windstorm
SB: 3 [M10] Great Sable Stag
SB: 4 [ZEN] Quest for Ancient Secrets
SB: 1 [M10] Mind Control
SB: 2 [MOR] Negate
Tuffy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs more ramp? Oracle seems like crap since this meta has so much removal.
Taodd
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck has lots of targets for removal, so many that it takes sweepers to keep them all down. If you know what deck you're up against and play wisely you'll find it's hard to stop this deck. You should expect your opponent to try to slow you down, just like with any deck. This deck doesn't rely on any single one of it's sources of ramp for either amount or fixing. If for some reason your opponent doesn't manage to kill off many or any of your wonderful ramping dudes be prepared for some truly nutty shenanigans.

Just today I had a fun game where I laid a turn 1 birds, turn 2 cobra into triple explore. Ending turn 2 with 5 lands and 2 creatures in play is amazing. Also, this deck truly has the ability to turn that ramping into advantage and to close out a game. Many games are ended after only 2 comet storms and/or lavalanches are played.

I'm not claiming this deck is the new best deck in T2. Just don't be so short sighted as to make silly claims like the amount of removal in standard makes using oracle bad. Hell as long as their removal isn't a counterspell you can often get 2 free lands off the top of your deck anyways because you have priority and can play those lands before the opponent can kill her. Also, note the swerves in the side.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taodd wrote:
The deck has lots of targets for removal, so many that it takes sweepers to keep them all down. If you know what deck you're up against and play wisely you'll find it's hard to stop this deck. You should expect your opponent to try to slow you down, just like with any deck. This deck doesn't rely on any single one of it's sources of ramp for either amount or fixing. If for some reason your opponent doesn't manage to kill off many or any of your wonderful ramping dudes be prepared for some truly nutty shenanigans.

Just today I had a fun game where I laid a turn 1 birds, turn 2 cobra into triple explore. Ending turn 2 with 5 lands and 2 creatures in play is amazing. Also, this deck truly has the ability to turn that ramping into advantage and to close out a game. Many games are ended after only 2 comet storms and/or lavalanches are played.

I'm not claiming this deck is the new best deck in T2. Just don't be so short sighted as to make silly claims like the amount of removal in standard makes using oracle bad. Hell as long as their removal isn't a counterspell you can often get 2 free lands off the top of your deck anyways because you have priority and can play those lands before the opponent can kill her. Also, note the swerves in the side.

I can see how this wins against most aggro and bad control players, but what happens against good control players? Is that what the SB is tuned for?
Taodd
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes control is generally a harder matchup but it can still roll them easily if they either come off slow or dare tap out. Also, if you simply play smart and maximize the fact that comet storm is an instant and that time warp owns you can win. Often vs control you simply start beating them down with cobras and oracles until they comit something to the board then you own them. Also yes the sideboard has a lot you can do vs control including different cards vs different control decks. If they don't have a ton of spot removal negate will own their mass removal, if they have a ton of spot removal and any unshrouded creatures swerve wrecks them. Swerve can stop counters. Windstorm is mostly for vamps and blue/white control, especially if they board in baneslayer.

Just got owned by a grixis control deck. I made some mistakes and didn't even sb correctly. It's not an easy deck to play vs control, takes practice and a good understanding of what you're playing against. Also I didn't expect chain reaction lol. Will have to remember that in the future for sure. May need more negates in the side, hard to say.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1