Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BW Contraggro

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Nevian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: BW Contraggro Reply with quote

This is a Black/White Deck that I have been running for quite sometime and with Abyssal coming out I have added him to the mix.

LAND//
4 Marsh Flats
7 Swamp
7 Plains
4 Arcane Sanctum
1 Gargoyle Caste
1 Sejiri Steppe

Creatures//
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Bloodghast
3 Kor Skyfisher
3 World Queller
2 Abyssal Persecutor

Spells//
4 Duress
4 Path to Exile
3 Disfigure
3 Brave the Elements
2 Grim Discovery
1 Pithing Needle

Sideboard//
4 Celestial Purge
4 Deathmark
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Day of Judgement
2 Pithing Needle

The one thing I really like about this deck is the amount of cool Tech you can do. Brave the Elements is a great sleeper in this one. You can play a Tidehollow and take some removal, then when they go to remove that Tidehollow you can save him. First turn Duress followed by a Tidehollow is also an amazing move. The one pithing main is just because in every matchup there is always something to pithing, but I usually hate getting multiple in my hand. Once abyssal is out you can Path him, Kor him or Queller him. Yes I know what the first thing everyone is going to say, why are you not running Baneslayer. Well the first version of this deck did have Baneslayers then when I started building it I noticed they were $50 a pop. So I scoured gatherer for a suitable replacement, something to give me control of the field. That is when I found World Queller, he is a nice piece of tech, choosing creature when you have a bloodghast out is always fun. Anyway if I randomly happen to get some baneslayers I would put him in the deck and remove one queller.
jordman2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you try adding mind rot or something instead of disfigure.
i would ether add better kill spell or hand disruption
Nevian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nice idea there.

You mentioned BSA. Money considerations aside, would you run 4 of them in an 'ideal' build of this deck? Would you also use 4 AP?

No I would not run 4 of either of them. Max 3 ofs... BSA is amazing if she sticks... In testing prior to my actual building of the deck she would never stick unfourtantly. Every deck was waiting for her so I find it better just to not play with her. 4 AP just seems to difficult to get rid of and I am not a fan of having lots in my hand. Ideal build would be 2-3 AP and probably 3 BSAs. I do like that Brave the Elements can help save BSA and with that inclusion I would have to retest. I added Brave after taking BSA out. AP has been doing alright but I don't know if it warrants a 3 of inclusion yet.

Quote:

could you try adding mind rot or something instead of disfigure.
i would ether add better kill spell or hand disruption

I have not tested Mind Rot, but I have not found any better kill spell. I usually use it in conjunction with an attacking or blocking creature.
jordman2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk i hear all the control players i know saying that mind rot just recks there deck because they have to counter and thinking that u know there going to counter it is not nesseceraly bad it uses up the counter spells so that you can play your bombs and 3 mana late game isnt that bad and if the mind rot resovles you are almost garentied a win unless they treasue hunted the turn before because then they just dicarding lands or usless doubles
jordman2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea also i just relized that one pithing needle main is horible because if you get it in your opener is just the suck you know idk i havent tested your deck Yet but tell me how it does for you i usally only think about it as SB
Nevian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithing Needle main is awesome, I love locking a fetch land. Alot of times you know what they are playing very quickly or you have duressed and found out. Other then pop lands against control it usually hits a planeswalker, not as stellar, but again that is why I only run 1.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 pithing needle>4 jitte, garruk, jace, fetchland
Nevian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you come across an issue where you did not have enough removal to kill your own abyssal persecutor?

No I have never ran into an issue where I could not kill the Abyssal, I am sure one day it will happen but so far it hasn't. The closest I got was one in my hand, but since the game was near the end and I was winning I choose not to play him.

Quote:
1 pithing needle>4 jitte, garruk, jace, fetchland

Plus a great thing this deck can do is if a bigger threat comes up I can bounce the Pithing and replay it, have done that a couple times. Same with bouncing a Tidehollow have done that too.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1