Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you hate grammer Nazi's well you might want to read this.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still dont get this, Im typing this as quick as i can speak it.

The argument is with people who use better grammer as if it makes there argument more valid not with good grammar in general. I could if i took my time but this is an internet post.

Also on Godwin's law clearly this is a valid point, well the mein campf part anyway the person being a nazi part is not granted but the actual book is totally irrelevant just that its a bad one, the point is that grammar does not make your argument any more valid.

Good logic> Good Grammar

Last edited by OldBear on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kytep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR, instead of reflexively telling people who correct your spelling/grammar to shut the f*** up and/or comparing them to Nazis, you could simply learn from the criticism so that you might write better in the future, and politely turn the discussion back to your main points.

Or keep flailing and lashing out at the world whenever someone points out one of your mistakes, and absolutely refuse to try to improve no matter what. You know, whichever works best for you.

Kytep

Last edited by Kytep on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicalmatt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ this thread
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again your not fully comprehending the comparision, the comparision is saying your argument that your point is more valid than mine is a bad one. As grammar makes no difference to the validty of an argument.

People pointing out grammar errors okay, thanks I could have put this in word and fixed that in a second if i wanted to but i did'nt gee your so smart, I'm continually having to simplify my comparision until you get it.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys, its not your kampf. its mein kampf.

this thread sucks.
ywizez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is retarded.

On one side, you make a valid point. Yes, I admit, an argument can be thoughtful and logical, even when presented poorly...

But why the hell would you do that? I'm sure I type almost as fast as you do, and yet I _naturally_ make less mistakes when typing (except typos) because I took the time to learn how to write. This is like trying to win a debate competition with pure facts and no speaking skills. You're just handicapping yourself willingly.

When you will get out of school and into the real, professional world, you will realize that success is highly correlated to appearance. Being a better speaker will get you promotions, and writing without mistakes will make people want to read you and not treat you like a retarded kid. It has nothing to do with the strength of your arguments. They can be great, but badly presented, they will not be convincing. You know why? Because you're trying to convince human beings, and beyond pure logic, there's something called human psychology.

Most people, when presented with a text stuffed with mistakes, will automatically turn away and mentally tag the author with the label "retard". It's like going to an Investment Banking interview in sweat pants. Who cares if you're awesome at making mathematical models? If you're dressed like a bum, get out.

For that matter, I'm sorry, Word is not a valid replacement for a grammar book. And yes, it's grammar, not grammer. Oooh, look, even this forum on Firefox has an integrated spellchecker.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this is not the real world this is the internet, I'm not trying to impress you or get a promotion, Im trying to make a point but this is not work or a uni essay its an internet forum, so am I going to put my full effort into its presentation no. I've had multiple articles published on this site and others in which i did but on a general forum post, its not needed.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has this been posted? About 3 hours ago, right? And you already have 25 replies. Is it just me or you just broke a record on magic-league? Mr. Green
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you hate grammer Nazi's well you might want to read t Reply with quote

Arch_Raziel wrote:
Trotsky1 wrote:
We all know those annoying people who think that because they can spell and punctuate perfectly, that there argument is better than yours and are just generally condenscending assholes who take glee in pointing out every little grammar or spelling error you make.

Well next time you run into one do me a favour and tell them this, Hey Nazi just because the spelling and grammer in Mein Kampf was good does not make it any less of a horrible book just like your argument. That will shut them the fuck up.

*sigh* Trotsky, Trotsky, Trotsky... Why must you force me to argue with you..?

Firstly, let me state that you clearly don't understand what a "Grammar Nazi" is saying when they demean others for poor grammar. Poor grammar gives the impression that the person using it is hardly-literate, and therefore generally less educated. This in turn does, in fact, make their argument have less impact than one with proper grammar. The reason for this is that people tend to believe those who appear smart over those who appear stupid.

For instance, if someone who had never seen the sky before read two arguments about its color, who do you think they would be more likely to assume correct? One who uses clear, understandable phrasing who says the sky's natural color is green, or one who simply says "Da skyyyee B blu. dats ryte!!! BLU!!!!"?

As for the general term "Grammar Nazi", I beg you go study the core values of Naziism, then come back and explain how they are related to grammar. The comparison is invalid and derogatory, and just makes those who use the term seem immature.

One final piece from me: If you actually tried to understand the mind of the author, you might find that Mein Kampf is actually a fascinating autobiography and provides a very different perspective on Hitler than what popular culture has provided.

P.S. I don't think any less of you for your poor grammar and spelling in your posts, I just wanted to let you know that.

-Raziel

I already agreed with the fact the part grammar nazi was unfair, i was just jumping on a general phrase. Atleast were actually getting some good arguments now.

The presentation thing is entirly correct I agree, that is true.

However I do not like it, if a reader is smart enough he should be able to way up the arguments rather than judging it solely on grammar.

Good grammar does not equate to high intelligence, highly educated yes. Is this a necessary skill for modern life and it has its place. However people looking down on less educated people and trying to trash there arguments solely on the basis of grammar when the argument is actually good thats what i have a problem with. To me that is snobery on an internet forum. Sure in work some standards are need but on an internet forum comeon.

Last edited by OldBear on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
six
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trotsky, YOU miss the point. there's no reason ever to use sloppy grammar or poor spelling. it shouldn't take effort. there's nothing like "I don't want to use all of my power to make it nice" because that's a total load of horseshit. people are right or wrong regardless of their grammar sure, but why bother risking not being taken seriously because you think you're the shit for not using grammar properly?

p.s. you're always wrong, despite also having the english skills of a 5 year old chinese kid.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2