Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UG Polymorph! is it playable?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Churros_X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: UG Polymorph! is it playable? Reply with quote

the deck itself seems terrible against anything with disruption, i have zero play testing with it, it just looked good to me on paper, but i figured i would post it anyway to see if anyone else has had similar ideas that would improve the build or take it in a different direction.

2 Vines of the Vastwood
4 Wind Zendikon
3 ponder
4 rampant growth
3 Explore
3 Negate
3 harrow
4 Summoner's Bane
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Polymorph

2 Progenitus/Iona

4 Khalni Garden
2 Halimar Depths
3 terramorphic expanse
4 Misty Rainforest
5 island
6 forest

cards that i wanted to add but i didn't have room for: treasure hunt, dispel, khalni heart expedition, flashfreeze, and both of the jaces' i also like sleep and and mind control for the sb maybe.
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace the Mind Sculptor could put Progenitus on top of your library if you happen to draw it.
Churros_X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i thought about that, it seems a little situational, i would rather be blightninged or mind rotted, but drawing both and having no way to get it out of your hand would be pretty terrible, but there is always don't ever play any spells and discard at the end of turn plan.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [WWK] Khalni Garden
4 [ALA] Seaside Citadel
3 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
2 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
2 [WWK] Halimar Depths
2 [ALA] Plains (3)
2 [ALA] Island (2)
5 [ALA] Forest (1)

// Creatures
1 [CFX] Progenitus
1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria

// Spells
4 [M10] Rampant Growth
3 [ARB] Trace of Abundance
4 [WWK] Explore
3 [M10] Garruk Wildspeaker
3 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 [M10] Polymorph
4 [M10] Negate
3 [CFX] Martial Coup
3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [CFX] Progenitus
SB: 3 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
SB: 1 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
SB: 4 [ZEN] Summoning Trap
SB: 3 [ALA] Bant Charm
SB: 3 [M10] Silence

I've been playing this since the new set came out. I've only lost when I've been landscrewed and once when I was overrun when I got an iona instead of a progenitus to mono green (pre-day of judgement in the deck, too).

It runs like any control deck, but with an option to have your opponent scoop on turn 3 if they're playing mono-color or even jund sometimes. It's nearly impossible to just "sit back" and try and smother the tokens or whatever also with this build, as at some point the options will become too plentiful for that to be viable...Or by then you can just CAST iona.

I've never had to use the S/B, so it could potentially be jank. I like the idea of more Counterspells...And silence seems like a good "I'm getting my guy" card in certain matchups.
Churros_X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like your addition of white for all the wrath effects and elspeth, i think it makes the deck less narrow, also silence is tech.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: UG Polymorph! is it playable? Reply with quote

Churros_X wrote:
i have zero play testing with it

I read this and stopped reading.

Will people ever learn to playtest BEFORE posting?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: UG Polymorph! is it playable? Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
Churros_X wrote:
i have zero play testing with it

I read this and stopped reading.

Will people ever learn to playtest BEFORE posting?

My version is pretty sweet.

Why would you even post this? It's an idea, not a "report".
Via

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: UG Polymorph! is it playable? Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:

My version is pretty sweet.

I really like your list. Seems like manlands, planeswalkers and mass removal go together pretty nice even without the the polymorph main combo of the deck. Even the Trace of Abundance + manlands is a nice synergy. Garruk + Trace, it is all there Wink
Churros_X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: UG Polymorph! is it playable? Reply with quote

Via wrote:

I really like your list. Seems like manlands, planeswalkers and mass removal go together pretty nice even without the the polymorph main combo of the deck. Even the Trace of Abundance + manlands is a nice synergy. Garruk + Trace, it is all there Wink

im not sure if you were being serious or not, but i don't think there is any synergy with garruk + trace, since trace gives the land shroud.
Via

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: UG Polymorph! is it playable? Reply with quote

Churros_X wrote:

im not sure if you were being serious or not, but i don't think there is any synergy with garruk + trace, since trace gives the land shroud.

yes, and additional mana for tapping, so with trace Garruk is manaramping +3 instead of regular +2
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people are just playing summoning trap.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garruk: (+1) untap two target lands.

trace of abundance: shroud: can't be the target of spells or abilities.
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeps your lands safe from enemy garruks though.
Via

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ups

thought that trace have the can't be the target of spells or abilities opponent's control ability

doesn't work that way then

never played with trace... that's it, seems too random against the Maelstrom pulse field - but would be better with that manlands, that's for sure

I mean, you don't have to play necessarily 2 same creatures, but keeping second trace on hand is pointless.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garruk + trace is irrelevant. The only time I need to "Ramp" is game 2 against decks I already smash (vampires or other mono colored decks for removal purposes) so the interaction is hardly even there. I use trace because its the only other turn 2 ramp spell to get off a polymorph on 3. That's the whole reason its there. Everything else costs 4, so it helps to ramp into those as well. The deck is REALLY good. Literally the only time's ive lost is when I've drawn hands like 5 lands and double elspeth, etc.

I think the only improvements needed to be made are to the mana base (ive updated it) and adding some sort of Ponder or something like that to smooth draws out.

I'm not saying this is tier 1, but its just as good as itsatrap. Its the same thing almost completely except it runs more wrath and planeswalkers. That seems good to me.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2