Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Highborn Ascension

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
SoloRenegade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: RB Highborn Ascension Reply with quote

New deck idea largely influenced by the article posted. Essentially its an aggro vampire deck with red for burn. Uses Kalastria Highborn for synergetic plays to boost the deck along midgame.

// Lands
7 [ZEN] Swamp (1)
1 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
3 [ZEN] Mountain (2)
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Kalastria Highborn
3 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir

// Spells
3 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
3 [ARB] Terminate
4 [M10] Sign in Blood
4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [ZEN] Bloodchief Ascension

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
SB: 4 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch
SB: 4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
SB: 4 [M10] Duress

So it's only 1st draft, help me point out the obvious flaws and fine tune this thing.
spudfuss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea i think that you need a sac outlet maybe a 1 or 2 of eldrazi monument, if you add a sac outlet grim discovery gets better otherwise i feel that it should be cut for another creature. Also consider hideous end to trigger the ascension.
EarthPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
4 [ZEN] Akoum Refuge
3 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
4 [ZEN] Swamp (4)
2 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
2 [ZEN] Mountain (1)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [WWK] Kalastria Highborn
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
2 [WWK] Bloodhusk Ritualist
3 [WWK] Abyssal Persecutor

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Bloodchief Ascension
3 [ALA] Blightning
4 [WWK] Searing Blaze
2 [ARB] Terminate
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
3 [M10] Sign in Blood

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ARB] Anathemancer
SB: 3 [M10] Deathmark
SB: 3 [ZEN] Hideous End
SB: 2 [M10] Chandra Nalaar
SB: 3 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch

The sideboard was really last second, so.
Anyways, this is the list I've been testing.
Turn 1-2 Bloodchief Ascension is usually good game, but even without an early Bloodchief Ascension, I can usually win.

Abyssal Persecutor won me like one game, but overall, most of the time he was a dead card in my hand. He sucks in multiple. You draw more than one you want to cry. I might keep him in, but I think I'll reduce him to a 2 of.

The sleeper of this deck is Bloodhusk Ritualist. How many times have I played this on Turn 6 to wipe out my opponents hand? Way too many. Amazing card, also works efficiently with Bloodchief to end the game in some situations.

Searing Blaze is a beast of a card! Although, it's really mana intensive considering I'm also playing Gatekeepers. I chose not to play Nighthawks, because they just die without ever affecting the game, instead letting me add more relevant cards.

I'm still testing, and trying to find some better cards or better lists. I admit that some of the cards could easily change, but the deck works reasonably well when it doesn't get mana-screwed.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Abyssal Persecutor won me like one game, but overall, most of the time he was a dead card in my hand.

That's because you kinda have to build the deck around it. It sucks in this deck because you have only a few ways to kill him off (1 of your two Terminates, or dual Bolts).
EarthPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
Quote:
Abyssal Persecutor won me like one game, but overall, most of the time he was a dead card in my hand.

That's because you kinda have to build the deck around it. It sucks in this deck because you have only a few ways to kill him off (1 of your two Terminates, or dual Bolts).

x4 Gatekeeper
x2 Terminate

Opponent attacks, then
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Searing Blaze

I never had a problem killing him. I had a problem with wanting to play him.
EarthPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
I see the most recently posted deck suffering from a similar issue to the first one: why are you really bothering with highborns? It seems like there could be better options to be had. Nighthawks come to mind being as they actually serve as answers and a four point life swing with wings. Part of the beauty of highborn is that they give a vampires other creatures that have bullseyes besides nighthawks and nocturnus.

Highborn seems shitty in that deck.

I think the strongsuit of Highborn is quite obvious in this deck.
For one, yes, it works beautifully as a 2-3 drop, that complements the other vampires in the deck (Gatekeeper, Bloodghast, Bloodhusk) especially Bloodghast who recurs.
The main point of Highborn is the fact that, no matter what you kill, your opponent is most likely going to lose 2 life, and you are going to gain 2 life.
Now, what card does that help? Bloodchief Ascension. The deck revolves around the Ascension.
Sure, we can put in Nighthawk and have it die to the first removal it sees, or I could play Highborn, which once it sees Removal, also helps my overall plan of activating Ascension.
It is not vampires. Vampires is probably stronger I admit, but this deck shines against a different variety of decks, that Vampires would lose to.
Insom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
I really loved nighthawks because they were answer number nine to twelve for baneslayers

How?
EarthPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Appreciated Thought out Arguements, etc.

In some respects I agree.
Nighthawk is more powerful than Kalastria Highborn (as noted in my article found on the front page). There is no doubting that. I just don't believe he serves the same purpose as Highborn for this deck.

Nighthawk is always the first target (besides maybe Noctornus) and WILL die to the first removal. What did that accomplish me? For an extra mana, I've progressed no further in the game, and the rest of my creatures are not "must-answer" creatures, so they don't have to worry about them. Highborn on the other hand, when hit with removal still accomplishes my goal of activating Bloodchief Ascension, AND does more than Nighthawk in that situation.

Sure, if he goes unanswered he has the potential to become a bigger threat. (Btw, as noted he doesn't stop Baneslayer Angel, first strike doesn't care about his Deathtouch)

This deck is apparently weaker to aggro (notably Bushwhacker and RDW) without Tendrils and Nighthawk etc, but as you can tell, both of these decks are going to slowly fade, partly due to the massive hate it recieved in Worldwake (notably Kor Firewalker). This deck is stronger against control, and arguably mid-range.

I'm not trying to overhype the card. It makes a great replacement for hexmage in Vampires, but I do think it makes this deck closer to a reality. Certainly, this is probably not Tier 1, but it's competitive. IT makes most the creatures in the deck, have a potential of activating Bloodchief.

You can't deny Bloochief's power. When that thing activates, it can become an almost impossible game to lose. Kalastria Highborn makes it easier to activate.

I guess it IS susceptible to Path to Exile, I didn't really take note of that, but the deck doesn't NEED Kalastria Highborn. It just HELPS alot.

EDIT: Btw, saying Kalastia not dieing is a bad arguement. I'm not counting on it to die to activate bloodchief, because if it's not dieing, then it is probably hitting for 2 damage to the face, which still activates Bloodchief.
Insom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Wow...really?

Use your imagination. Butthurt much?

Why are you so overly-confrontational? It is hard to have an intelligent debate when you get like this.
Insom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to the best of us. It is telling in my opinion because generally a good player and an understanding of mechanics go hand in hand though Smile.
Insom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to make sure that the irony wasn't lost on you and that you had learned something. At least you got half of it.
Insom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Included in initial post:

Quote:
oh man. My face is red on the baneslayer nighthawk. /Face palm

How does that show you understood the irony of the situation?

Engrishskill wrote:
Bask in your internet victory and play your Simple Plan extra loud for me, little buddy.

I know for a fact that I am your elder. I am not sure how many ways I can say the same thing here. You need to stop trying to personally attack people that don't agree with you in every thread. No one wants to read this.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Insom wrote:
Happens to the best of us. It is telling in my opinion because generally a good player and an understanding of mechanics go hand in hand though Smile.
Did you really have to go as far as to point out obvious irony that was already admitted and try to kick someone while they are down on the internet?

I just have really hurt your feelings. How old are you? Sixteen?

Insom's comment seems more like a jest than a cheap shot to me...

your reply, however, just seemed like it opened more opportunity for confrontation... and there's always the option of ignoring those harmless internet rages Confused
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2