Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

competative budget decks?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
bagina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: competative budget decks? Reply with quote

i havent bought a card since about ice age, but i just found out a local shop here holds FNMs so im thinking of throwing togetehr a budget deck. id like it to be competative and cheap.

obv no bsa's etc..

liek i said i havent bought mtg cards in a long time (i only play online) so im oblivious to prices.

thx for ur helpz
Oop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search building on a budget for the Lost in Alara deck... I played a modified version of that at my FNM and won 4 weeks straight with it... I added maybe 50 dollars to it with some land and a couple extra different rares... but most of the stuff in there is only a couple bucks each and it holds up pretty well against most tier 1 decks...

I never lost to jund in a real tournament and red deck wins rolls over to 11 first strikers + rhox war monk + celestial mantle

Its a decent place to start assuming you know the general rules and how to play through control
spudfuss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red deck wins is really cheap and rolls over most decks in the current meta. i think it is the best cheap deck in the format.
bagina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know what the meta for FNMs is liek at my local shop... i guess a guy who plays there did alright at PT Austin, so i expect an array of decks from budget piles to jund or 4MD BSAs.

would u guys mind posting lists so i can c/p to a deck builder and check out prices?
Oop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Celestial Mantle
the rest builds itself

lol you may laugh at it, but tutoring up that when your opponent doesn't have a response is usually GG against any deck... I went from 4 to over 100 against jund once with it on a war monk unexpectedly(only ran 1 main and 1 side)
Vodka_7up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not gigantiform instead of celestial mantle? tehre's a thread about it on the mtgsalvation forum. also you can use soverign of lost alara to fetch it

also what's your budget range? you could build an all common deck for your first tourney just to scope it out (i'd suggest White Weenie)

ya white weenie might be a good choice, other then the Honor of the Pure (6 each?) the deck CAN BE very cheap
Oop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well thats the deck in question, hence why I mentioned the initial starting point of the list...

the deck was called "Lost in Alara" on the original building on a budget, but you can easily modify it and make it amazingly tournament worthy, it still blows my mind how easily i own top tier decks piloted by people who have won PTQs with a pile of shit that has gigantiform and celestial mantle in the same deck Very Happy
Lat[GRC]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG Valakut ramp is a good budget option. You can see one list here

http://www.magic-league.com/deck/57886/standard_t2.html#RG%20Valakut%20Ramp39785

Also some more variants here
http://www.deckcheck.net/list.php?type=Valakut+Ramp&format=SoA_M10_Zen

And you can search for more, it's a cheap deck thats quite competitive
bagina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx lat. valakuts a fun deck to play and when i checked the price it came in around 60-70 bux. is that accurate? i could probably excuse myself to spend that much if its something that will still be viable once wwk comes out.
Via

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDW

You can even play the more budget version without 8 fetchlands and geopedes, you would side them out most games anyway.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagina wrote:
thx lat. valakuts a fun deck to play and when i checked the price it came in around 60-70 bux. is that accurate? i could probably excuse myself to spend that much if its something that will still be viable once wwk comes out.

I would wait and see.
Apos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say play vamps
screw nocturus or get as many as you can Wink

u can spend 100-200 $ and get a real good vamp deck with many rares
or u go total budget with something like this:

// Lands
22 [ZEN] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Guul Draz Vampire Common
4 [ZEN] Vampire Lacerator Common
4 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage Uncommon
3 [WWK] Kalastria Highborn 5 Dollar rare
4 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk Uncommon
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir Uncommon
4 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch Cheap Rare

// Spells
4 [WWK] Urge to Feed Uncommon
4 [M10] Sign in Blood Common
3 [ZEN] Feast of Blood Uncommon

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M10] Duress Common
SB: 3 [ZEN] Marsh Casualties Uncommon
SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus Common
SB: 3 [ZEN] Mind Sludge Uncommon
SB: 3 [M10] Tendrils of Corruption Common

27 creatures should be enought for feast of blood Wink and the Kalastria Highborn to be worth

just get 1or 2 vamp starters and you got half of your deck and 2 boosters Wink

edit: I wouldnt play Mono Red now because of Kor Firewalker
and because he is uncommon not mythic Very Happy
Lat[GRC]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combo deck so I'm sure it's going to stay a good budget option.
It has resistances both vs aggro and control decks and when you start triggering valakuts it's likely you have the game.

Land hate decks is the only problem but I haven't seen any card boosting those kind of decks.

Also it's going to get a boost with a common card comming in WWk

Explore 1g
Sorcery Common
You may play an additional land this turn.
Draw a card.
Lat[GRC]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another possible card for this deck:

Seer's Sundial
Artifact Rare
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control you may pay 2. If you do, draw a card.
Joby_Turk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go white weenie w/ Kor Firewalker (jund, mono red, Grix) all playing red. and put path xD
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2