Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Green mana ramp



 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Author Message
Alphakiller



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Mono Green mana ramp Reply with quote

well here's the deck i've made so far:

LANDS:
forest x 19
oran-rief-the vastwood x 4

CREATURES:
Ant Queen x 3
elvish archdruid x 4
llanowar elves x 4
Oracle of Mul Daya x 2
Rampaging baloths x 2
scute mob x 3

SPELLS:
beastmaster ascention x 3
eldrazi monument x 1
harrow x 4
howl of the night pack x 3
khalni heart expedition x 4
vines of vastwood x 4

SIDEBOARD(in progress)
great sable stag x 4


now what i'm looking for is comments and criticisms(not insults), and i've also got a few questions:

1) Beastmaster ascention vs Overwhelm?
2) when I get my hands on more eldrazi monuments, what do I take out?
3) how effective would timbermaw larva be? what would I take out?
4) would elvish visionary be useful? what would I take out?

(thinning a deck is my greatest form of kryptonite Confused )
Back to top
blitzer2k7



Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 412

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visionary is an awesome two drop it should be an auto include. It cycles a card and you get a free 1/1 body.

You are basically running Mono green Eldrazi. Though it ramps really fast as it is I dont think oracle of mull daya is needed because more often than not it will get targeted by some sort of removal before it can ramp you really far ahead.

Also, You arent playing enough elves to make Elvish Arch Druid worthwhile. Youre almost better off with Mycoloth as he can at least make you lots of tokens each turn should he survive one.

Timbermaw larva, while a house in his own right since youre mono green, doesnt trample making him less effective.
Back to top
Alphakiller



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are four llanowars, 2 mul daya's, and 4 arch druids.

this adds up to 10 elves, so he'll more often than not be paired with an additional elf.

mul daya serves the double purpose of getting me more forests AND helping ensure that i'm more likely to draw the cards that matter, not dead draw lands. even if it gets killed, that still makes it take away a removal target from other things.

eldrazi isn't really the focus of the deck though... more like the icing on the cake. this deck capitilizes on having lots of forests.

what if I experimented with adding gigantiform/timbermaw larva combo?
Back to top
Lynolf



Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 546

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when people ask for advice, then ignore them. Mr. Green
Back to top
Via



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of Oracle of Mul Daya and Rampaging baloths loves fetch lands, so I would add at least 4 of them. Misty Rainforest/Verdant Catacomb. Khalni Heart use them too.

Also Garruk is very powerful with lot of mass in front of him. And he is great with Oran-Rief which you are playing already as four of.


Last edited by Via on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Vedrfolner



Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphakiller wrote:
there are four llanowars, 2 mul daya's, and 4 arch druids.

this adds up to 10 elves, so he'll more often than not be paired with an additional elf.

mul daya serves the double purpose of getting me more forests AND helping ensure that i'm more likely to draw the cards that matter, not dead draw lands. even if it gets killed, that still makes it take away a removal target from other things.

eldrazi isn't really the focus of the deck though... more like the icing on the cake. this deck capitilizes on having lots of forests.

what if I experimented with adding gigantiform/timbermaw larva combo?


10 elves are about 10 too few to play archdruid. Pumping one other elf with +1/+1 is not worth the dedication of 4 cards in the form of a 2/2 creature for 1GG.

Oracle of Mul Daya is bad because it costs four mana and does nothing other than revealing what you draw to the opponent and occasionally give you a free land drop. It would barely be playable at 1G in a dedicated deck.

Scute Mob is bad.

The ascensions are bad. All of them.

4 Vines of Vastwood are at least 2 too many. Why would you want multiples in hand of a reactional card in a mono green deck?


---
So you got 3 Ant Queen, 2 Rampaging Baloths and 3 Howl of the Night Pack as the whole point of all the utility cards in the deck. That is not enough. You need at least 10 more powerful cards to smack down once you have ramped up your mana a bit.

Garruk Wildspeaker
Nissa Revane
Nissa's Chosen
Master of the Wild Hunt
Mold Shambler
Mycoloth
Acidic Slime
Thornling
Soul's Majesty
Terra Stomper
Summoning Trap
Kalonian Behemoth
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Windstorm
Protean Hydra

Only some examples of what you can put in a deck like this.
Back to top
Via



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:


Scute Mob is bad.

You need at least 10 more powerful cards to smack down once you have ramped up your mana a bit.

Garruk Wildspeaker
Nissa Revane
Nissa's Chosen
Master of the Wild Hunt
Mold Shambler
Mycoloth
Acidic Slime
Thornling
Soul's Majesty
Terra Stomper
Summoning Trap
Kalonian Behemoth
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Windstorm
Protean Hydra

Only some examples of what you can put in a deck like this.


Scute Mob is not that bad. Better than half of the list above for sure. At least in the deck that can make 5 lands turn 3 and plays 4x Vines of Vastwood.

The rest is holy truth though. Aside of the Oracle thing, but that card is vastly underestimated overall. And in this deck it IS crap.
Back to top
Insom



Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 433

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
Oracle of Mul Daya is bad because it costs four mana and does nothing other than revealing what you draw to the opponent and occasionally give you a free land drop.


Also gives all of your lands cycling for 0 and lets you tutor with the help of fetchlands, rampant, khalni expedition, harrow, etc which is powerful late game. Not playable in a fast deck not running fetchlands though.

Vedrfolner wrote:
It would barely be playable at 1G in a dedicated deck.


Try out Valakut.


Last edited by Insom on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
Vedrfolner



Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Via wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:


Scute Mob is bad.

You need at least 10 more powerful cards to smack down once you have ramped up your mana a bit.

Garruk Wildspeaker
Nissa Revane
Nissa's Chosen
Master of the Wild Hunt
Mold Shambler
Mycoloth
Acidic Slime
Thornling
Soul's Majesty
Terra Stomper
Summoning Trap
Kalonian Behemoth
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Windstorm
Protean Hydra

Only some examples of what you can put in a deck like this.


Scute Mob is not that bad. Better than half of the list above for sure. At least in the deck that can make 5 lands turn 3 and plays 4x Vines of Vastwood.

The rest is holy truth though. Aside of the Oracle thing, but that card is vastly underestimated overall. And in this deck it IS crap.


If you have 5 lands turn 3 you could as well play a Thornling or any other of the 4cc/5cc cards on that list compared to a 1/1 for 1 that grows...
Back to top
Via



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

If you have 5 lands turn 3 you could as well play a Thornling or any other of the 4cc/5cc cards on that list compared to a 1/1 for 1 that grows...


True.

Just saying that scute mob is not bad at all. It is a "must kill" creature.
Back to top
Insom



Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 433

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are still alive the turn after you get 5 lands and the opponent can't just chump block it by then.
Back to top
Alphakiller



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynolf wrote:
I love it when people ask for advice, then ignore them. Mr. Green


wasn't quite ignoring them... just saying that those issues that the person had brought up were already thought of. I was giving my reasoning behind each decision...

Vedrfolner wrote:
Alphakiller wrote:
there are four llanowars, 2 mul daya's, and 4 arch druids.

this adds up to 10 elves, so he'll more often than not be paired with an additional elf.

mul daya serves the double purpose of getting me more forests AND helping ensure that i'm more likely to draw the cards that matter, not dead draw lands. even if it gets killed, that still makes it take away a removal target from other things.

eldrazi isn't really the focus of the deck though... more like the icing on the cake. this deck capitilizes on having lots of forests.

what if I experimented with adding gigantiform/timbermaw larva combo?


10 elves are about 10 too few to play archdruid. Pumping one other elf with +1/+1 is not worth the dedication of 4 cards in the form of a 2/2 creature for 1GG.
these cards are all focused on the mana ramp though... not the pumping. i'm rarely attacking with the elves here.

i'm finding archdruid, on the place he takes in the deck, is very good at helping protect my mana, along with providing a fair bit extra boost to my mana
Quote:


Oracle of Mul Daya is bad because it costs four mana and does nothing other than revealing what you draw to the opponent and occasionally give you a free land drop. It would barely be playable at 1G in a dedicated deck.
I balked at the mana cost too, but the way this deck mana ramps, the mana cost issue is not very strong at all as far as i've seen.
it's also done nothing but help me every time i've played it... the extra lands benefit my general strategy, and as i've already said, getting the lands out of the way almost guarantees that you'll be drawing useful cards every turn. the way this deck is played, you don't really care all that much if the opponent knows what's in your hand
Quote:

Scute Mob is bad.

The ascensions are bad. All of them. (I tend to agree)

4 Vines of Vastwood are at least 2 too many. Why would you want multiples in hand of a reactional card in a mono green deck?
Vines has to be the most amazing pump card i've ever seen... it serves the double purpose of being a pump card along with a reactionary card. the abilities being split makes it more versatile, and this versatility makes it viable to have 4. Also, I like to have it in hand just in case, because the amount of removal they have will be more common than one copy of a card I have.
Quote:



---
So you got 3 Ant Queen, 2 Rampaging Baloths and 3 Howl of the Night Pack as the whole point of all the utility cards in the deck. That is not enough. You need at least 10 more powerful cards to smack down once you have ramped up your mana a bit.

Garruk Wildspeaker
Nissa Revane
Nissa's Chosen
Master of the Wild Hunt
Mold Shambler
Mycoloth
Acidic Slime
Thornling
Soul's Majesty
Terra Stomper
Summoning Trap
Kalonian Behemoth
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Windstorm
Protean Hydra

Only some examples of what you can put in a deck like this.


so i'd need more threats... that would be a problem that i've been having. lemme edit the post after i've remade the deck...

EDIT:
so i've remade the deck... solitairing is promising so far.

LANDS:
forest x 18
oran-rief-the vastwood x 4

CREATURES:
Ant Queen x 3
elvish archdruid x 4
llanowar elves x 4
Oracle of Mul Daya x 2
Rampaging baloths x 2
scute mob x 3
Timbermaw Larva x 3

SPELLS:
overrun x 2
eldrazi monument x 1
harrow x 4
howl of the night pack x 3
khalni heart expedition x 3
vines of vastwood x 4

SIDEBOARD
great sable stag x 4
windstorm x 4
acidic slime x 2
turntimber basilisk x 2
naturalize x 3

so this is what i've been able to cobble together from what I own... I'm thinking just a few more threats are needed though.

i'm debating between garruk, master of the wild hunt and spearbreaker behemoth...
Back to top
Insom



Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 433

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of split on vines. RDW would drool over a RR instant that deals 4 damage to target creature or player but playing it just for the pump sets up 2 for 1s.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy