Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Spoiler] Omnath, Locus of Mana: Yay or nay?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Majik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY GOD DAMN MUTHA FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the single greatest card ever made by WOTC, if you get this mofo shrouded with whispersilk. FUCK. I dont usually curse but hot damn this card gives me goose bumps.
jebus911

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i said. Its just a bit under tarmo.

And by a bit under tarmo, i mean not even close, but really good.
SniperMayer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopy Cover and Eldrazi Monument makes this card the ultimate destroyer. Better than Skewt Moab??? :O
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the card is that great. The Upwelling effect is kind of unplayable, since your opponent gets to take advantage out of it as well (and before you). Also, the creature needs GREEN mana to grow, so not that playable in blue decks, and having mana in pool means you're not playing spells.

People is going to want it, but no-one is going to play it.
toor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the upwelling effect is one sided.

I still don't see this guy being super exciting.

Though hes obviously gonna be in the Mono-G beats that makes itself.
4 Hierarch
4 Llanowar
4 Omnath
4 4/5 vanilla

etc..
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toor wrote:
the upwelling effect is one sided.

Oh, RTFC! Then what I said is obviously wrong. I still don't see it being that playable. Maybe in some kind of green aggro with Tooth and Nail finish!?
Kytep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite so excited; in fact, I'll be surprised if this is constructed-worthy. While there are ways to protect him (which apply to ANY creature), a mana-intensive creature which is killable by Terminate, Path, Pulse, Blade, etc. just doesn't do it for me. And even if you do Cloak/whatever him, there's always Day of Judgment/Martial Coup/Vampire Nighthawk, etc.

Remember, you can't use the green mana AND have him big too; you have to keep tapping green mana to float just to keep him big, which means he's effectively:

2G
1/1
G: Put a +1/+1 counter on [this] at "split-second" speed

Just to get this guy out of Bolt range, you'll need to cast him with 6 mana. To survive a Leech, 7 mana, etc. And don't even THINK about trying to use him as part of a "big-turn" combo; he's way too fragile for something like that.

Seems like a "Timmy" card at best. But I could be wrong.

Kytep
ryuzaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytep wrote:
I'm not quite so excited; in fact, I'll be surprised if this is constructed-worthy. While there are ways to protect him (which apply to ANY creature), a mana-intensive creature which is killable by Terminate, Path, Pulse, Blade, etc. just doesn't do it for me. And even if you do Cloak/whatever him, there's always Day of Judgment/Martial Coup/Vampire Nighthawk, etc.

Remember, you can't use the green mana AND have him big too; you have to keep tapping green mana to float just to keep him big, which means he's effectively:

2G
1/1
G: Put a +1/+1 counter on [this] at "split-second" speed

Just to get this guy out of Bolt range, you'll need to cast him with 6 mana. To survive a Leech, 7 mana, etc. And don't even THINK about trying to use him as part of a "big-turn" combo; he's way too fragile for something like that.

Seems like a "Timmy" card at best. But I could be wrong.

Kytep

Well, about the killing creatures, those same apply against BSA, Knight of reliquary, tarmogoyf, etc. So, i dont see a point there, another interesting about him is his application its in a ramp type deck, i think this guy its the new goyf, (obv after goyfs gone)
Malakai97
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He costs six mana (Lightning Bolt). Keep that in mind.
svladcjelli2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against red, he costs 6, otherwise its 3. For a monogreen 6 drop, I'm pretty sure I'd run this over Thornling.

Also, lots of boltbait means you run out of bolts. Maybe he DOES cost 3... manacost-wise, this seems pretty comparable to morphing Exalted Angel.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could be good in a deck similar to RG ramp. We'll really have to wait and see what happens with the rest of the set and the meta. I don't think he'll be anything spectacular though either way.
dv8r

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the cards we currently know, this card is clearly bad imho. you simply can't afford to not use your early turns at the moment to sink the mana without risking dying, and on turn 3 he's a very very fragile 1/1. he has no evasion either, give me knight of the reliquery ANY day of the week
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like figure of destiny than goyf to me. Something that you can sink extra mana into when you don't get your nut draw. Might be playable if they release more decent green instants like vines of vastwood.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: The same old "dies to removal" argument Reply with quote

I believe people are looking at the same aspect of this card over and over again, as they often do. Yes, he does die to Lightning Bolt the turn it enters the battlefield. But have you thought also: what if he doesn't get destroyed in the first turns? Its not like everyone is playing red now, or has removal spells all the time in their hands. So, since the aspect of "dies to removal" has been discussed by people before, I'll approach this card on the opposing manner.

The truth is, if this card goes unanswered, you have pretty high chances of winning the game, allowing you not only to get a very big creature, but also to potencially summon more powerful spells, like an early Kalonian Behemoth or Bogardan Hellkite, or a very large Protean Hydra, or even better, Comet Storm or Banefire. This are just a few examples.

One deck that might surge once Worldwake is out, altough it may not be tier 1, is Mono-green Aggro (not the Eldrazi version). You might not remember, but I do, that one of those decks made it to the top8 of a T2 master some while ago. Why may that deck make a comeback? Because, apart from Omnath, there is another powerful and perfectly viable beast for that kind of deck that will appear in Worldwake: Leatherback Baloth. Join these two cards together, some Vines of Vastwood or Canopy Surge, mana acceleration and powerful fatties like Ant Queen and/or Kalonian Behemoth, and who knows? You might have a deck with some potencial over there! Not as strong as Jund of course, but still competitive. Mr. Green
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your point has been addressed. Even in the matches where the opponent isn't playing lightning bolt I am not convinced he is any more powerful than the current options like KoTR. Having access to a monogreen wooly thoctar, while powerful, doesn't seem like it is going to be gamebreaking either.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2