Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting New "Leagues" would be awesome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments

Would you like to see Leagues on ML
1) yes
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
2) no
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
3) what's a league??
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

Bantos86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarShark wrote:
me and sean connery are going to kick your asses

Chuck Norris > Connery.
Femt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, but only when sealed is back. ML sucks ass whitout any sealed minis ;(
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent idea. It's something that seems to have strong promise as a path for improvement Very Happy

The current obstacle we have (as Flippi and JedD have brought up) is indeed the site coding. If this was to be implemented, we'd need a workaround so we don't need to modify the current site's coding. I do have a couple of ideas of how to do that, but I can't say right now how feasible they are.

If people really want to have a go at trying to get this off the ground, then there needs to be a detailed outline of the structure so that staff know exactly what people want. Once that's been done, we can look at if it's possible to implement
Majik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome feedback, I'll see if I can cook something up. I got a few people willing to help design the guidelines. Just make sure I am in the League!!!

Maybe we have dfferent leagues for different ratings...then have a championship like euro soccer has the uefa. Maybe we have promotions and relegations based on seasons performance.

As far as coding goes, what if we run like we run masters...off site standings. I could create a free webpage and design it just to keep stats.
teh_hetero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why couldn't you just have the league operate through a 3rd party and then report the matches as like k16 or k24 through the site?
Femt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotions and relegations would be awsome!! Imagine if every year we had like a football season and just like in football, players could either go down a division or get promoted!! Nice idea man!! Very Happy
LilDan
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People tend to quit mid-season though
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-site isn't a problem. I can host it on the coverage site if you like. The main focus at this point should be getting the structure itself off the ground. Once you've got that, then you can begin to worry about how to insert it Wink

As for how to go about developing it...i'm going to suggest Google Wave if you have multiple people working on developing the project. You can invite people as necessary to work on it, which makes it easy to collaborate on something like this Smile
mchosa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what do we need?

php coders?
and?
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the current site code is being maintained only. Because Koen was learning PHP during the development of the site, the coding isn't as refined as it should be.

What needs to be done currently is that Majik and whoever's working with him need to develop a clear framework for the league, detailing exactly what is needed. Once that's done, we can start looking at if it's possible to implement.
LilDan
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is what I was thinking about:

We could have the players sign up, then divide them into conferences, preferably by continent. Every week, there'd be one a "league night" when all league matches would be played. Each night would be a different format (Legacy/Extended/T2). Players would get points just like in the Swiss system. If enough people sign up within a conference, we could put a relegation/promotion system into place.

My idea is that one "season" shouldn't be longer than a month, because
1) Knowing in February you can't win and having to play out the rest of the matches for the rest of the year is a pain.
2) People quit Magic all the time. Having a league full of inactive people is not what we want.

So, players would play 5 rounds and then get promoted/relegated and points would be reset. At the end of the year, the players that consistently placed well would get the prizes.

What gets me real excited is the possibility of a team conference Cool

If this were to be run through the coverage site, we could put things into place pretty fast.
Majik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be better for each player to use the same deck throughout the season? Or be able to change your deck during the season? The continent idea is great. What I am thinking is having an open league to start things out. A 1-2 month season would be good. Once we have our inaugural season then we could divide players up into continental conferences.

Anyway, more input would be great before I draft my final blueprints of "The League".
LilDan
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
Lildan: as much as I like the idea, I want to say that it is not very certain that we have the possibility to get prize money for leagues. We are running on a very tight budget, and the adds bring in just enough money for financing masters/judge rewards/tc rewards.
Donations is in my opinion not an option either, since it might trigger some people that will say we earn money directly from their intelectual property, and that is something we definitely don't want to happen.

How about invites to invitationals then? And byes to those already invited
rast2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedmonkey wrote:
. Because Koen was learning PHP during the development of the site, the coding isn't as refined as it should be.

I'm guessing that's why the sealeds have such problems -- I know there was a post about it a few months ago where you guys said that each sealed event caused some huge number of db queries, and I remember thinking that that number was wayyyy too high.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Invitational Invites: It's a possibility. It's a topic for discussion at the point where we've got a framework for this concept and we begin to consider the feasibility for implementing it.

On sealed coding: Can't say I've seen the coding myself, but you're more than likely right :p
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3