Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soldier Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Stark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Soldier Control Reply with quote

Hey,

I've been running this deck online recently with a fair amount of success.

The idea is to survive the first 5 turns or so then start pumping out the tokens, which isn't too hard at all.

However, I'm not the greatest deck builder or anything, so would like suggestions to make it even more competitive.

This deck is a blast to play - build it and you will see. Who doesn't like winning with Coat of Arms?

Land

16 x Plains
4 x Arid Mesa
4 x Marsh Flats
2 x Emeria, the Sky Ruin

Creatures

4 x Captain of the Watch
2 x Captain-Knight of Eos
4 x Knight of the White Orchard
2 x Kor Cartographer

Instants

4 x Path to Exile

Sorceries

4 x Conqueror's Pledge
2 x Martial Coup
4 x Day of Judgement

Enchantments
4 x Oblivion Ring

Artifacts

2 x Coat of Arms

Planeswalkers

2 x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard (not given much thought)

4 x Celestial Purge
4 x Devout Lightcaster
4 x Kazundu Blademaster
3 x Journey to Nowhere
Majik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, a white deck w/o baneslayer. That usually = Fail so hard.

I would lose the coats for sure and either put in Eldrazi or Brave the elements(either can win the game for you since your crtters will be unblockable most likely.

You probably need to find a way to get BSA in there though.
Insom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the idea. Maybe a little over reliant on wrath though. I wouldn't play BSA. Synergy > any one card.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insom wrote:
I kind of like the idea. Maybe a little over reliant on wrath though. I wouldn't play BSA. Synergy > any one card.

Yes but synergy with good cards > all
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your deck is waaaaaaaay too slow. Try adding some flexible two and three drops. White Knight comes to mind, maybe even a few Honor of the Pure could work. As for three drops, you're kind of limited to Devout Lightcaster, and she is a total meta call. I wouldn't recommend playing her main.
svladcjelli2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight of the White Orchid is a three drop.
cardplayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
svladcjelli2
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm Post subject:

try WW....
cardplayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
svladcjelli2
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm Post subject:

its WW ...
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic idea its nice, But I'm afraid that those guys are right.. The deck is too slow... Maybe path and Oring could help you the first turns, but I'm not so sure about that... WhiteKnight could be a good choice...

About Coat of Arms, I have o say that I really love that card! Goblin, Elve, Vampire decks, its an awesome card... But every time I tried it on a deck, I ended taking it off, every single time!... It usually don't work so good as I thought it would...
I don't really know why, but when you read the card, it appears to be just great and really powerful, but on practice, it's not so good as it should be... And you can notice that you usually don't see anyone playing it, even with so many elves and vampire decks around...
Anyway, its up to you finding out if it works for you or not...

But try eldrazi, with so many tokens, and Elspeth, you can run it without any problem... Cause if you have to choose between an army of 7/7 soldiers, or an army of 2/2 flying indestructible soldiers, I think that's an easy choice to make... Wink

Honor of pure should be a great choice too...

About Baneslayer, Sure, you should have it on deck as people already said here... White decks MUST have BSA.. But I think that your intention is to make a soldier deck just by fun, not a tournament deck... And if that's the case, I think that you can improve that deck with no need to abandon the soldier deck idea...
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran WW Soldiers forever, it was great. It completely smashed Jund, but it was mediocre against everything else. It was sad to chalk RDW up as a bad matchup.

I wouldn't play it anymore, tough. UWR/Grixis Control are near-un-winnable matchups.
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would say that you have a lot of Landfall. With that in mind you should be playing some number of Emira Angel. If unanswered it is total board control.

I would also like to see some color splashes with the landfall. Duress would be great in the sideboard. Also from red you get the totaly nuts Goblin Ruinblaster. Also as a meta call vs Vamps and RDW/BDW Volcanic Fallout is crazy good vs a big landfall or Bushwacker turn. Zealous Perc is also very good vs both Bushwacker decks.

You are going to want a few first strike creatures that come down early to help vs RDW or BDW.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1