Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't tell me magic isn't chance

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
coolman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Don't tell me magic isn't chance Reply with quote

I was playing thropter combo in a extended tourney, I played 6 matches, 2-1, 1-2, all three matches i didn't get mana screw, I won. I play 25 lands!!! They need to change the rules, there is too much chance. This proves it!
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you are a troll or if you have no concept of statistics, but if I had to bet I'd say both.
coolman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an A in statistics,but I don't remember that much of it to be honest. Anyway my point is, that there is a lot of chance for a game I thought was about stratetgy and good decision making.

Last edited by coolman on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
coolman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of chance, you really should win if you play better most of the time in a real game of strategy, not all the time, but most of the time.
Boogaloo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, magic is mostly chance. Now gtfo
coolman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
coolman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't magic add some new cards with the goal to make wins more relient on good decision making.
coolman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mulligan!
SoloRenegade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i agree with your conclusion, I disagree with your method of arriving to it.

It is true, this game has WAY too much chance going for it tho. My biggest solution I've been offering is:

Make more choice cards (AKA cards that can do multiple effects, but not all at once). Cards like walkers, charms, commands, are great example of skill cards. They are versatile allowing for many decks to warrant use and really make a player think since, despite so many options, you can only pick one or one per turn.

As well I believe the game suffers a huge inconsistency factor with too much/too little land. My idea is a new mulligan rule:

1. You may RFG* 2 lands in hand to draw a new card.
2. At the start of game you may RFG* 3 BASIC land cards from your deck. You may choose to put one of these in hand instead of drawing. If an ability or spell requires you to draw, discard, or RFG cards from your library you may only pull from these after your library is gone to meet this demand.
3. You may RFG a card in your hand and replace it with a land from the RFG* pile.

*This RFG is treated differently than sideboard o normal RFG. It would require a new name. EX: If you were being milled, after your library is gone, You would RFG cards from your "land" RFG* stack into your normal RFG.

With this, the game becomes intensely reliable (which it currently is not and never has been). Land will always be there, and land floods will be much easier to handle. As well cards will be more open ended and you can have more dynamic plays than simply playing according to the MU.

Lets be honest, most plays don't require thought. The games skill centers around the few moments you genuinely must make a smart choice and the deck build, deck build sadly being more important (Raffinity anyone???).
Khudzlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

were you missing lands in general or lands that could produce specific colours? if the latter, you might want to look into the distribution of lands rather than just their number, not to mention your spells' colour weights
DaWorm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be so easy to improve magic.
Basicly:
-each colored card in your hand can be removed from game and you put a land sharing a color onto the battlefield.
-each land has: ManaCost: Remove this card from the game, draw a card.
There may be penalties like coming into play tapped and each time you use the cycle ability it becomes more expensive, limiting the amount of times you are allowed to do this ...
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolman wrote:
Why can't magic add some new cards with the goal to make wins more relient on good decision making.

WotC already did this in a seperate game called Chess: the Checkmating. You're welcome to play that instead.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Highlander Mulligan Rule Reply with quote

This is the best mulligan rule I've found until today. It's used in the Highlander Format:

"For one of the starting hands during each game only, each player may "reject" any number of cards from his or her hand. They set these cards aside, draw the corresponding number of cards from their deck and, after that, reshuffle the set-aside cards back into their library. The opponent cuts the deck afterwards (mandatory). Note that this is a slight change as of 04/15/2007 since you can now choose the hand from which you reject cards, e.g. with a very bad initial hand of 7 you may decide to take a normal mulligan without rejecting any cards. You may then apply the new mulligan to your 6-card-hand." Mr. Green
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only bad people blame all their losses on luck
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the easiest thing to do to blame luck. That way, you're still without fault.

anyways, that is useless, as you won't improve. There will be decisions that could have won you the game, so you made mistakes when losing. Figure out which mistakes and you will win the next game.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3