Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nyxathid vs. Lightning Bolt

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
[PT]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Nyxathid vs. Lightning Bolt Reply with quote

Hello all!

Could you, please, enlight me about this situation?

I cast Nyxathid. Comes into play when my opponent has 4 cards in hand. In response, my opponent plays Lightning Bolt targeting it.

Now what? Does Lightning Bolt fizzles because are now 3 cards in the opponent's hand or does it resolves killing Nyxathid?

Hope you can solve this dispute.
Thanks in advance!

Have a nice holliday!
SoloRenegade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it resolves when there are 3 cards so it lives.
SidMeier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It resolves, dealing 3 to your creature but when the toughness is checked nyxathid has 4 toughness.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Do you know what the "stack" is? Reply with quote

Woooooooooooow wow wow wow wow, hold on your horses! That's a very tricky question you have there.

First, you obviously don't know the meaning of the word "fizzle". A spell with targets only fizzles when all its targets have become illegal upon resolution of the spell. Which is not the case here, since Nyxathid is still in play when Lightning Bolt resolves.

The rest has already been said by the people above. Mr. Green
[PT]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lynolf for noticing.

I am aware of its meaning. I just misused it here. What I meant was it had no killing effect on my Nyxathid given that my opponent had 3 cards in hand.

Thank you all for clearing this out!

Cheers!
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I cast Nyxathid. Comes into play when my opponent has 4 cards in hand. In response, my opponent plays Lightning Bolt targeting it. "

Your opponent cannot respond to a creature spell with a lightning bolt and target the creature spell on the stack. He has to wait until the creature spell resolves, and then you have priority again. He can then use his Lightning Bolt as a response to your next action.
DarkPhobos91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry missread card xD
DaWorm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="magicman85"]
Quote:
He has to wait until the creature spell resolves, and then you have priority again. He can then use his Lightning Bolt as a response to your next action.

Wrong

He can use the Lightning Bolt the next time he has priority.
This doesn't necessary involve any next action.
Mostly it's a "pass".
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will die once everything is done.

It will enter the battlefield as a 4/4 but once Bolt is done resolving it will be a 3/3 with 3 damage on it and will die.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoneWulf wrote:
It will die once everything is done.

It will enter the battlefield as a 4/4 but once Bolt is done resolving it will be a 3/3 with 3 damage on it and will die.

Nyxathid

Which would be completely true is his P/T went down as you had less cards in your hand. But his P/T goes up as you go down in cards, so no, this is wrong.

He'll enter the battlefield as a 3/3 and goes up to 4/4 as soon as Lightning Bolt is on the stack (before it even resolves). He'll be just fine as a 4/4 with three damage on it.

Edit: Removed some not-so-nice posts and locking this.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1