Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brainstorm every turn for free?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Thanik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Brainstorm every turn for free? Reply with quote

I'll take it.

Turn 3 lorescale coatl, turn 4 jace the mindsculptor Razz
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken card.
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically brainstorm every turn for 4 starting on t4(hopefully)
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's his best ability imo.

Brainstorm is amazing.
wrxkid950

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovb, who is ever going to get him to 12 without the ability to put more counters on him. returning a creature isnt bad niether is putting the card on the bottom but yes drawing 3 its sick, plus fetches= broken
Thanik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he isn't bad. Even unsummon on a planeswalker isn't bad with all the other tempo cards in the format, but brainstorm with fetchlands is awesome.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're forgetting another important point: he can put Baneslayer Angels at bay! I just hope it doesn't become such a broken card as it appears to be... Mr. Green
DevonKyle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't super broken. What made brainstorm amazing was the fact that it was an instant and could possibly give you outs in certain situations. Obviously it is still good on a planeswalker but nowhere near what the real card was. His -12 ability is never going to happen. The unsummon is nice but in most circumstances you'll probably just be brainstorming which means Jace dies pretty quick. Lightning Bolt gets it done the turn your opponent plays him and with Jund still being heavily played in the metagame I just feel as if this card isn't exactly good enough but once all of the new set is out we'll know for sure. It isn't a bad card by any means, it just isn't as good as everyone thinks.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to point out that it's also a 3-loyalty Planeswalker for 4 that doesn't increase its loyalty with the relevant ability meaning he'll eat plenty o' Bloodbraids, Blightnings, Bolts and such in the face.

4-mana Brainstorm, even if card advantageous (because Jace remains in play and needs to be dealt with), isn't something to die for.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt anyone with a brain just use his plus 2 ability once then start banging the plus 0 ability though?
DevonKyle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which probably leads to you not being able to use the brainstorm ability the following turn. It will be dealt with immediately.
Daffie999

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace isn't the best thing to hit blue... but all the naysayers seem to have is that he is vulnerable. Sure, if you're stupid enough to Brainstorm after you play him, and have nothing to protect him with. You can say the exact same thing about every other Planeswalker. It reminds me of people who say Baneslayer is bad because she always dies the turn she's in play.

IMO, if a card is such a threat that people are holding onto removal just for them... it's making it in my decklist.

Also, the scenarios people are giving seem to be when Jace is being used in a non-control deck. In the right deck the board and hands are controlled! Jace is an amazing engine to keep that going.

Finally, Brainstorm is great... but there are plenty of situations where you wouldn't be using the +0 every turn. If you're already holding answers it would be silly to keep finding more when you can just deny your opponent.
Jag4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, all we need now is that multikick counterspell and blue will be viable again.

Rumours of the colours demise may prove to be premature...
Eldar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys but that -12 is very possible in the right deck. My current deck in t2 takes many turns in a row and a planeswalker that draws you cards, protects himself, and then when you combo allows you to just win seems fine in my book.

The main problem I see with him isn't the fact that "He dies to everything" it is the fact that you cannot have both him and Jace Beleren in play at the same time xD.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played Magic in a while now, but I can confidently tell you he is a very good card in itself. There is more to him than Brainstorm people. The fact he has Opt, Brainstorm and Unsummon intrigues me. The synergy he has with HIMSELF is insane.

Fetchlands aside, you have Opt + Brainstorm. Filter your hand and get rid of the unnecessary/dead draws. I feel this will be good vs creature heavy decks as you can find what you need in both Opt and Brainstorm. Opt will help your draw while keeping him out of the red zone and Brainstorm will help you find the card you need when you need it while not making him vulnerable.

Then there is the route that you can Opt your opponent to some what manipulate their draws or at least know what they are drawing until you can blow them out with his -12 ability. This will be very good against control decks in my opinion.

I think he will be a staple in U/W decks to come. Think of the possibilities-
Being able to play cards like Celestial Purge maindeck to get the advantage on Jund/RDW and the potential to not have it sitting in your hand as a dead draw in other matchups.
Unsummoning your Baneslayer and following it up with a Day of Judgement.

There is so much more to him than just the Brainstorm ability. Its just not many are thinking outside the box. So go ahead and lable it an OK card. Ill buy playsets and when you realize how good he is I will sell them back to you for triple the price.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2