Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PTQ Magdeburg very<disappointing 3:3 with very good pool

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Shinato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: PTQ Magdeburg very<disappointing 3:3 with very good pool Reply with quote

Hi guys, I attended the PTQ for San Diego today, which took place in Magdeburg. The cardpool in finally received was actually pretty nutz but in the end it went very bad. I lost my 3 matches all 1:2 and was screwed or flooded several times but it's too easy to blame that for the losses as my opponents had the same problems sometimes. I will first show you the cards in the right colors (which were absolutely clear! Black and Red), then what I built from it. I think i made exactly 3 mistakes when building the deck, but you can decide that.

Spells:
2 Burst Lightning
2 Disfigure
1 Punishing Fire
1 Inferno Trap
1 Eldrazi Monument
1 Mark of Mutiny
1 Mind Sludge
1 Soul Stair Expedition
1 Zektar Shrine Expedition
1 Spire Barrage
1 Vampire's Bite
1 Blazing Torch
1 Adventuring Gear

Creatures:
1 Blood Seeker
1 Stonework Puma
1 Guul Draz Vampire
2 Plated Geopede
2 Surrokar Marauder
2 Torch Slinger
1 Bloodghast
2 Molten Ravager
1 Geyser Glider
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Obsidian Firehearts
1 Vampire Hexmage
1 Nimana Sellsword
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Bladetusk Boar
1 Hagra Crocodile

I actually played:

Spells: 9
2 Burst Lightning
2 Disfigure
1 Punishing Fire
1 Inferno Trap
1 Eldrazi Monument
1 Mark of Mutiny
1 Adventuring Gear

Creatures: 14
1 Stonework Puma
2 Plated Geopede
2 Surrokar Marauder
2 Torch Slinger
1 Bloodghast
1 Geyser Glider
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Vampire Hexmage
1 Nimana Sellsword
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Bladetusk Boar

Lands: 17
9 Swamp
8 Mountain

I think I should have run something like:

Spells: 7
2 Burst Lightning
2 Disfigure
1 Punishing Fire
1 Inferno Trap
1 Adventuring Gear

Creatures: 16
2 Plated Geopede
2 Surrokar Marauder
2 Torch Slinger
1 Bloodghast
2 Molten Ravager
1 Geyser Glider
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Obsidian Firehearts
1 Vampire Hexmage
1 Nimana Sellsword
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Bladetusk Boar

Lands: 17
9 Mountain
8 Swamp

I am not sure about cards like Spire Barrage, Soul Stair Expedition and especially Blazing Torch. Please tell me what you think overall. The other colors were all crap, so RB is clear, just which cards isn't.

Last edited by Shinato on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
AMER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post entire pool
Shinato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't as i already mixed the others with my normal cards. I listed all playable Red and Black cards and there was CLEARLY not other combination possible as the other colors did not have enough playables and could never stand the nut removal package Black and red has to offer in terms of quality and quantity.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldrazi > removal.

someone probably told you (or u had whiplash trap wreck you cuz u played it weird) that eldrazi was bad
ITS A BOMB

2 plated geopede
2 surakar marauder
1 guul draz vampire
1 bloodghast (great with monument)
1 vampire hexmage
2 molten ravager
1 obsidian fireheart
1 vampire nighthawk
1 bladetusk boar
1 nimana swell-sword
1 geyser glider
1 torch slinger

2 burst lightning
1 inferno trap
2 disfigure
1 punishing fire (3x 2damage removal spells NOT really that good)
1 eldrazi monument
1 mind sludge

9mountain
8swamp

honestly you should get in the habit of keeping the whole pool together because your black is very thin. disfigure is fine but it doesn't deal with the best cards. nighthawk and sludge are your black cards, the rest is pretty thin.
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 geopede 1 gear, 1 geyser gider, 17 lands in this format is wrong, even more so when your playing mindsludge, 2 black 2cc bb spells and nighthawk you wnat more than 8 swamps, you wanted 18 lands with a 9/9 split. The cards are good but the mana is not alot of heavy red and black spells, which is unusal for red but molten ravager is a heavy red spell, so is fireheart.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with what trotsky said.

Its all in the little details.
zfe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand why Eldrazi Monument is out
Shinato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did not like Eldrazi because every time i had it, I had virtually no creatures to work with. My opponents were playing black like 90% of the time and just always had a ton of removal.
Shinato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made some mistakes yesterday in deckbuilding, so i can't blame bad luck for it and I overestimated the chance to kill them very fast with my quality 2 drops like Geopede or Surrokar Marauder and underestimating the importance to have some defense with cards like Molten Ravager which are decent mid to lategame cards. I also overestimated the power of Torch Slinger which isn't stellar at CC5. Adding a 18th land might have been an option making it easier to cast my double black spells as well as Obsidian Fireheart. I am still not sure about Eldrazi Monument, maybe its better when you play more cards which don't die to everything. Thanks guys for the advice.
SJM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That card pool is AMAZING and you should feel bad for going 3-3 with it.

What I would do is go super aggro because you don't have late game bombs:

Add:
Obsidian Fireheart (this card wins games by itself, you're wrong for not playing it in a two color deck period.)

1 mountain (2 geopede, adventuring gear, bloodghast, geyser glider, 2x torch slinger with kicker, 2x burst lightning with kicker, zektar shrine, extra red for obsidian fireheart justifies 18)

zektar shrine expedition (way better than most people think)

guul draz vampire (you have enough aggression and burn to bring someone to 10 before they know what happened)

Cut:
Mark of Mutiny

1 Disfigure (you really don't need 2 with 2 burst lightning 2 torch slingers etc.)

stonework puma (you don't have allies to justify it, you're black/red so you don't need to block intimidate with it, and finally you have shit tons of removal to deal with intimidate anyway - as a 2/2 for 3 this card is bad)

tuktuk grunts (the only thing you want to be casting for 5 is torch slinger with kicker, burst lightning with kicker, or geyser glider)

Sideboard options:
adding back in the 2nd disfigure
adding in spire barrage to go to the face
blood seeker against conquerer's pledge or something
vampire's bite against an equally aggro deck
mark of mutiny against fatties/bombs/fliers racing
mind sludge and a 10th swamp (cut 1 mountain) against a slowwwww deck if you're on the play

Seriously though, that card pool is ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1