Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draft UR Deck, don't know why it did not work

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
Shinato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Draft UR Deck, don't know why it did not work Reply with quote

Hi guys, today I drafted what i thought a pretty good UR deck but I lost horribly in the finals vs Allies and I want your opinion about the deck and cardchoices and what the weaknesses of UR are and how to solve these problems.

Cards:

3 Goblin Shortcutter
1 Bladetusk Boar
1 Shatterskull Giant
3 Umara Raptor
2 Welking Tern
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Windrider Eel
2 Goblin Bushwhacker
2 Murasa Pyromancer
1 Geyser Glider
1 Skyruin Drake
1 Highland Berserker
2 Torch Slinger
1 Aether Figment

1 Burst Lightning
1 Whiplash Trap
2 Magma Rift
1 Spire Barrage

1 Teetering Peeks

These were the good cards I had, I once picked Torch Slinger over Geyser Glider which might be wrong in the end, but i don't really know. And I picked Goblin Shortcutter over Highland Berserker at some point later in the draft when I already had 2 Shortcutter and 2 Murasa Pyromancer. Please tell me what deck you would have built out of these cards and what can be improved by drafting other cards. (Some examples which could help if you can pick them in this archetype) Thanks
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well magma rift and murasa pyromancer do not gel well.

secondly... you have 27 cards there... that is probably issue #1. some cards are better than others. shortcutter > berserker until you have raptors in multiples. even then it's close. pyromancer is super expensive for 3/2 + ping. u dont have enough allies for him to be retarded. he probably just doesnt deserve the spot. 6 mana is MUCH harder to reach than 5. 17land decks can reliably curve to 4, 5 takes a turn, and 6 is 3 turns after. by turn 9 a pyromancer doesnt deal with the threats u see on the table. add to it eh -1land from each rift and TROUBLE.
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have the makings of a good deck there.

3 Goblin Shortcutter
1 Bladetusk Boar
1 Shatterskull Giant
3 Umara Raptor
2 Welking Tern
1 Tuktuk Grunts
1 Windrider Eel
1 Geyser Glider
1 Highland Berserker
2 Torch Slinger
1 Aether Figment
1 Goblin Bushwhacker
1 Burst Lightning
1 Whiplash Trap
1 Magma Rift
1 Spire Barrage

A little high on 5 drops, but what was this finals is fine if its modo.
Shinato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, its exactly the list I played! How many<allies would you need to play Murasa Pyromancer?

I lost in the finals to any BWr Ally Deck with about 11 allies and Both Black Quests. He also had Burst Lightning, Hideous End, Emeria Angel. He gained quite a few life in both games and then killeed me with 4/4 and 5/5 Allies.
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does losing in the finals of a draft mean your draft deck went wrong
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the mana base on your opponets deck sounds horrible like it should have lost to itself but sadly this time didnt. I mean hideous end, emeria and burst lightning all in the same deck.

No idea on pyromancer I dont like allies as a stratergy nomrally because it requires running a bad manabase with cards that are less than stellar by themselves.
ywizez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two reasons:

1. I didn't do the calculations, but someone says you have 27 cards. That means you have 13 lands, if you want to keep to the 40 cards minimum limit of a draft. Basically, you don't have enough lands, since that's less than 33.3% and you _never_ want less than 33.3% unless your deck is mono-coloured and/or runs cards that cost at most 2-3. And if you have more than 40 cards, that means you had too many cards. Smile

2. You lack big threats. Most of your creatures are small-ish and can be blocked by your opponent's 4/4 or 5/5 or burst lightning, the big ones by hideous end, etc. On the other end, if he drops an Emeria Angel or a 5/5, you're kind of screwed. Your strategy works if you're sure you will kill your opponent in a few turns; if you get stalled, he'll get upper hand with bigger threats.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushwhacker suxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck is all basically vanilla guys. You can't stand up to black with only vanilla creatures, even if they're the best ones. I like the torch slinger over glider pick for that reason, but it's not enough. The reason Blue is one of the worst colors is because its good cards don't really "make" a deck, they just fit in. If choosing a color based on cards like "Into the Roil" and "Whiplash trap" is what you HAVE to do, then it's usually not good. Having the best blue cards means that whoever got mediocre black cards already has an advantage over you, and that's not even including if they took GOOD black cards.

Long story short, never complain about losing with a deck that doesn't have black in it, or multiple bombs. You lack bombs as well, btw.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to be black and you don't need bombs. this is a fine deck, it sounds like your opp got a bit of good fortune in the finals, and even then making the finals is just fine. Don't think of your deck as an example of a bad one, because its not.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolcreep wrote:
You don't need to be black and you don't need bombs. this is a fine deck, it sounds like your opp got a bit of good fortune in the finals, and even then making the finals is just fine. Don't think of your deck as an example of a bad one, because its not.

Yeah, believe this guy. Black's winning percentage is double and other color. And having bombs when you aren't playing black is VITAL to winning.
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to the finals isn't a complete failure.

It's not like you went 0-1.

Your deck succeeded, you just didn't go undefeated. You may have even had the best deck in the draft, maybe your opponent just drew all of his best cards in both games.

Magic always involves luck. Do not take results to mean everything.

I lose to inferior decks and inferior players often enough to make me rage. It just happens.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the other half... RO ResultsOriented thinking. winning a poker hands because you flopped a full-house doen't mean you weren't losing to AA preflop. AA was still the best 'deck'

going 0-1 or 5-1 maybe jsut means you hit that bad matchup once. i'm CHRONICALLY afflicted by losing with a deck ONCE and then trashing it. i need to learn to build a deck that is FUN to paly and wins 70% and thats ok with me. your deck is fine but pyromancer really does nothing. it only kills 2/2s and even if it's good at that- do u really care at turn 8?
Shinato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your deck is actually 90% X/2 or X/1 creatures you will care about it. Also there is often some trading or cards involved in the early and midgame so you can't always force enough damage until said turn 8. Besides that you can have a slower draw as well and aggressive mulligans won't lead you to any good if you mulligan playable hand, which aren't nut fast.
Trivial

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Just randomness Reply with quote

Good deck--you will lose to random chance even if you play perfectly.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2