Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

banefire vamps

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks

wretched banquet or disfigure?
wretched banquet
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
disfigure
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

paulallan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: banefire vamps Reply with quote

4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
3 Malakir Bloodwitch
4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Vampire Nocturnus

3 Banefire
4 Duress
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Terminate
3 Wretched Banquet

4 Akoum Refuge
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Gargoyle Castle
2 Mountain
10 Swamp

sideboard
3 Chandra Nalaar
4 Deathmark
4 Doom Blade
4 Goblin Ruinblaster

let me know what you think?
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you're making your matchup worse against the best deck in the format, Jund, in order to make your matchup better against turbofog.

Tendrils of Corruption and Mind Sludge are two of the cards that make vampires work.

I think you should try staying mono-black and use different boarding options against fog or whatever convinced you to build this. Black has all the tools to beat any deck in the format without splashing, and especially without splashing red.
paulallan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great sable stag
devout lightcaster
white knight
that little bit of red just helps a bit
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what your FNM meta is but if it's jund, go back to mono black. You need a turn 5 mind sludge and you probably need to gain some life with tendrils.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampires isn't faster than Boros, RDW and other extreme aggro decks. It has less card advantage than Jund and other mid-range decks, and the aggro vampires builds doesn't have the power to win the long games vs control.

Still, it can be a good deck.

But only if you don't try to be faster than the other aggro decks. Go control. The more control Vampires is, the better.
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested monoblack vampires for some time. I could never come up with a way to beat jund with them, and anything hitting the field with pro black instantly wins the game for them. Stags are especially common, with Lightcaster second.

The answer was to branch into a second color. Blightning and Terminate made Red the choice. However, those didn't fix the pro black problem. Lightning bolts sorta worked, they blew up stags and lightcasters... But anything bigger that shut down monoblack laughed at them. (Iona, BSA to a mild extent.) I took out Lightning Bolts, and ran Dark Temper instead. May seem an odd choice... I also noticed that with all these red cards and land, Nocturnus wasn't activating reliably. I took out a couple lands and put in borderposts, which had the unforeseen side-effect of nullifying anyone trying to Spread my land base. I'm more vulnerable to artifact destruction, and there's plenty of that with Elfdrazi's brief popularity, but for the most part the posts stay out.

What I ended up with was a reasonably powerful aggro vamp deck, that had a relatively bad matchup against Jund (still), but became alot better against anything else. Boros is one of the few things that poses it a legitimate threat besides Jund. I'd noticed in my testing for a Mill deck that Shambling Remains was an effective counter, so I have a couple of those on the off-chance I run across a mill deck.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
// NAME: T2 Vampires
// AUTHOR: CrushU

// Lands
3 [M10] Swamp (1)
3 [M10] Swamp (4)
4 [M10] Terramorphic Expanse
2 [ZEN] Akoum Refuge
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [ZEN] Mountain (3)

// Creatures
3 [M10] Vampire Nocturnus
4 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
2 [CFX] Shambling Remains
4 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch
2 [M10] Bog Wraith

// Spells
4 [ARB] Veinfire Borderpost
2 [M10] Doom Blade
4 [ARB] Terminate
2 [M10] Sign in Blood
3 [ALA] Blightning
2 [CFX] Dark Temper

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [CFX] Shambling Remains
SB: 2 [M10] Bog Wraith
SB: 2 [M10] Doom Blade
SB: 2 [CFX] Dark Temper
SB: 4 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage
SB: 4 [M10] Deathmark

And then I have my IRL Monoblack vamp deck... It runs lean and fast, 22 lands and only two nocturnus/bloodwitch, but a TON of the low-cost vampires. Putting out two or three a turn is not uncommon for that deck. I played it casual against old Elf, Goblin and Sliver decks that were legal in Onslaught T2, and was winning, even against Slivers. The only thing that broke my streak was an Onslaught-era Zombie recursion deck.

Monoblack vamps is weak against any other deck that includes black. *WEAK*, not useless.

I don't have the list for the monoblack because it's changed since I last had it. As it's cards I *own*, there also aren't any Bloodghasts (need them!) Basically a 4of of any Vampire in T2 that is 2 mana or less, besides Lacerators, with 2 Nocturnus, Bloodwitch, Nighthawk, and loads of removal, with Duress for pesky Control.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1