Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you really have what it takes to be good at Magic?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
SJM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Do you really have what it takes to be good at Magic? Reply with quote

Reading the worlds coverage I couldn't help but note that several of the players made a point of stating just how much Magic they play. One Japanese player stated he played MTG "18 hours a day" on Magic Online for the month preceeding worlds.

A Brazillian player claimed to play Magic "at least" 12 hours a day on Modo.

I had to stop and think at that point, "do I really have the time to compete at the top tier of this game?" The answer, of course, is no. I have a job, I'm not rich, and I learned a long time ago that dedicating that much of your life to any one thing is probably a bad decision. That's why, when I fail to make top 8 at a PTQ with a 6-2 record and 11th overall ranking, only knocked out of the top 8 because everyone ahead of me drew, I am not that upset. Back when I was 18 or 19, in college with nothing to do, I took this game a lot more seriously. These days, I am just playing for fun.

Part of my "fun" is the competition and thrill of victory - but do you really have what it takes to compete with the 12-18 hour a day Magic Pros?
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and i will do it playing 10 hours a week.
OldBear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree.

A couple of years back I was hell bent on becoming a pro magic player, I saw it as my way out. Everthing was going wrong in my life but magic, which I was winning at quite a bit.

Things eventually caved in there as well, which was a blessing in disguse. (Some shit who I will never forgive decided to drag the problems for my real life into my fantasy life.)

Remeber from recent event coverage some guy PV was playing saying he had little time for magic anymore due to job, wife, family, kids. He asked PV what he was doing and PV said he was just playing magic. Dude replied oh your one of the lucky ones, made me laugh even if he did not mean it sarcastically.

I think there are alot of players out there like that, waste really as alot of them could do alot more with there lives.
Kurtgrunge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally know William Cavaglieri,5th at worlds...His preparation for the draft were like ten-eleven zendikar draft,he tested t2 with 20 games with every deck and he almost didn't test extended deck and went 6-0 in extended AT WORLDS ^^....If you have always tried to improve your skill it will be easier to get more confident with metagames,sideboard choices,playing choices and so on...So it's not true that you have to play that much...Clearly testing ten hours every day HELPS but that's not everything Very Happy
HujuVanikil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Kurt, its more the quality of testing and practice than the amount. I used to play competitive e-sports for a several different sponsored teams, we usually practiced 4 hours a day but half of that time was wasted by sitting around in vent, doing stupid shit and what have you. Even though we really only got in 2 hours of good practice a day against top teams in North America and Europe, that was enough to top 3 every league and turny we entered.

Trotsky you make a good point as well, real life is more important and spending 18 hours a day on magic seems pretty unhealthy to me. I quit my team because I wanted to improve myself and college and work take a lot of my time. I wanted to spend my free time hanging out with good friends rather than 'pwning noobs'.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always fallen short when it comes to playing on the tip-top level, but I always felt it was more due to the lack of funds than actual playtime.

At a certain point, you just know everything that's relevant, and its all down to who has more mental endurance.

It's similar to chess, you can go without playing for years and come back to it and be at around the same level of success you were before. I know formats and rules change, but that gets fixed trough playing.

I never played more than 10 hours of magic in any one week not including going to high profile tournaments. I went to a FNM, possibly a draft, and that was it. Even on MODO I never played that much.
kaamos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from a Christians point of view,
Read Nietzsche's literature about the "overman" and understand.

That and enjoy the game for what it is, play with your friends, play FNM's and tournaments, but if you think you need to play that much, and you really desire to play professionally, then do it. If not then dont do it.

Im not being sarcastic at all, just put it into perspective, I quit WoW for a job, I got the job. I loved playing it, I was one of the best Dps'ers in my class in the world for awhile, but its all done.

Change isnt bad, its just different. Make a choice, if you only have fun playing hard, and you cant, then find something else! ;p
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think 12+ hours per day necessarily improves skill. That improves focus and stamina. I believe that you can "overplay." sometimes you might enter 6 drafts in one night... some times you play 4 sit and go's simultaneously(poker duh) for 8 hours... but at some point you are not improving and are just wasting time... and money.
Sometimes its important to clear your mind. Put the cards down for a day or two, and come back and reevaluate things. Some times a fresh perspective can make you see things that playtesting non-stop for 128 hours straight cannot.
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah just for the record I was not trying to say all pro's are that way, clearly some can balance there lives. You do find at that level however alot of people who for whatever reason have let the game become there whole life.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
Yeah just for the record I was not trying to say all pro's are that way, clearly some can balance there lives. You do find at that level however alot of people who for whatever reason have let the game become there whole life.

For the record, many people let their jobs become their whole life as well. And some lets their family and the life within the four walls become everything they think and do - quitting society and everything that is going on around them.

None of that is healthy either.
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older you get often without practice you lose your ability for adaptation.
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
Trotsky1 wrote:

For the record, many people let their jobs become their whole life as well. And some lets their family and the life within the four walls become everything they think and do - quitting society and everything that is going on around them.

None of that is healthy either.

I disagree with that, though i can see this is subjective. Having a family around you a wife you love, Kids you love, is the thing that most people strive for, for a reason its the damn best.

I guess some people would see it as to sleep with as many girls as possible, others how much money they make, fame many many strange and wonderfull things I guess magic falls into the strange category. However I feel, its not something that should consume your whole life, I feel the same way about alot of jobs but who am I to tell other people what to do with there lives, however nothing wrong with getting them to ask the question is this what I really want to do with my life?
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a professional magic player. No joke. Every week I go to FNM and I pwn all the noobs there and I get packs cause I won and I'm a professional magic player.
Jag4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Trotsky, and also coming from the Uk, when I was younger I wanted to be a pro and played no-stop all week, but stopped when I fell out with my team and other people in my area and quit the game for around 5 years doing other things until around 2004 when I started playing again.

Now, older and married, I consider myself to be a better player than I ever was before, I've twice qualified for my Nationals, helped other players do well in big tournaments and have a small reputation in my country, even if it's mainly for losing my draft deck at this years nationals!

It is subjective to how much you want to be good at magic, I play as much or as little as I like, because I know that I play too much I make more mistakes because I'm just going 'though the motions', but that just works for me, and not everyone else I guess.

Jag
kaamos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I quit magic and anarchy online and played world of warcraft... lol years ago, I was* one of the best in my class in the worlds in terms of performance, I had some* world records at the time. I loved all three games. I quit wow for a good job because I didnt want the schedule time i spent interfering with the job, and I only played 4 hours a week.

I think people think negatively about things that are new, that people love. Because irresponsible people become obsessed and let things they have go, like family and work, through neglect, for those things. Such as the guy who starved to death while playing... was it Counterstrike? I dont remember.

People who lets this stuff become their lives. Well its true, professionals who play sports live and breathe sports for a long time, you live and breathe military when your preparing to kill, and if you wanna be the best at something you need to practice, thats how you usually become the best, thats how you get into Carnegie Hall xD

And in the reciprocal there are people who do it while they have responsibilities and things they depend on, such as a family, a career, sleep... food... its going to happen.

You can see how people are afraid of obsession with movies over the years because whatever the big obsession scare is often gets adapted into some kind of movie, videogames for example spawned Gamer, the internet spawned the matrix; lawnmower man, space exploration spawned all kinds of movies.

Really the amount of people who raise kids that shoot other kids are growing at the rate the population grows (In percentage)
So the moral of the story, in terms of people who obsess negatively, is that the more people there are the more stupid people there are.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2